Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to best sell my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an early adopter and have a 2012 Model S 85kw with 60,000 miles...
I bought a new one with the auto pilot feature to be delivered in late February. Tesla did not want my car as a trade-in but lined up an "auto broker" who offered $39K... I would like to think that it is worth more like 50K but I have never sold a car for big money before... does anyone have any advice for me? (I am in the San Jose area)

Have you thought about selling it online using a service like Ebay Motors? on the positive side you have a large audience and buyer protection.

On the other hand there are listing Fees associated with the transaction. I have always been a big fan of using Craigslist as it's a free service.

However, you run the risk of having buyers who are not serious coming to look at your car.

When using Craigslist I recommend showing the car at a public location, not doing test drives without deposit or at all.

Id highly recommend only accepting a bank check or cash and always..always writing a bill of sale/ something stating car is sold as is, with no warranty.

If you don't want to do that you could always try the for sale section on this forum:wink:

Reactions: Vern Padgett
You can always try to sell it to Carmax if there is one near you.

When you listed on Ebay, make sure you have a lot of photos of your car and list all the options. Listed as a buy it now for $50K with a best offer to test the market. If it does not sell, slowly lower the price on every relist. Remember, you are completing with all the CPO cars, CPO cars have a four year warranty and yours does not, so price it accordingly.

I bought a new one with the auto pilot feature to be delivered in late February. Tesla did not want my car as a trade-in but lined up an "auto broker" who offered $39K... I would like to think that it is worth more like 50K but I have never sold a car for big money before... does anyone have any advice for me? (I am in the San Jose area)

Don't forget to add sales tax to the 39k, if you happen to use the auto auction service provided by Tesla. Would make the difference smaller and then you can evaluate if it is worth the work of a private sale.

Trade-ins don't get a tax break in CA. You are taxed on the full price of the new car regardless of any trade-in value.

California is the KING state for taxation. It's absurd. Then to hear about deficits and budget woes just makes me laugh. Everything is taxed so heavily here in CA the state gov't should be swimming in cash.

If you did a private party sale in the mid - high 40's you'd be one of the lowest 85's in the country and actually lower than most of the 60's as well. I think 50 is a stretch. I just bought a 2013 S85 with 31,000 miles fully loaded for $52,000 and a few days after I bought it there were a bunch of similar deals directly from Tesla's CPO site.

I think you could pretty safely/ easily get $45,000 for that car though. Or I'll give you 40k if you don't want to deal with the hassle... ;-)

Last edited:
I'll looking a moving to an X, so thinking about selling my MS85.
  • 50,000 miles
  • Delivered 3/2014
  • Dual chargers
  • Red with tan leather
  • 90% clear expel wrap
  • Tech package
  • Power lift gate
  • Air supension
  • Premium interior and lighting
Tesla offered $49k, didn't credit for the dual chargers or wrap.

Sounds like ebay, carmax and Craigs list are the venues.