Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

regenerative braking on the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to verify today that the production Model S will have driver selectable Regen from 0 to 100% and variable in 100 steps, driver selectable. This is a great option.

Is that more up to date than this from TTAC, based on a reservation-holders event last week?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/07/tesla-model-s-customer-blog-regenerative-braking/
According to a Tesla rep in Greenwich, the current Model S Alpha prototypes have infinitely adjustable driver regen. Perfect! I fervently hope production cars retain this feature. But I got the feeling that the company may be leaning toward no driver-adjustability at all for the Model S, along with jarringly strong built-in regen like that of the Roadster. “You’ll get used to it,” the rep told me.

His description of regen is way overblown!
There are those who want what they had before. Even if it's not as good. David has only test driven a Roadster so he has not felt the regen benefits of stop and go traffic, canyon driving oer seen the mileage gains from regen.

Many of the comments disagree with the author.

Isn't this the same as the Roadster? 0% with pedal pushed but no power to motor, up to 100% with pedal fully released. That's 100% of regeneration, which is pretty strong. Or are you getting that there is a different lever which determines how much regen the pedal manages: Dialing in 10% regen, pedal fully released gives you only 10% regen? Is this for those who cannot maintain a steady pedal pressure at zero power on and zero regen? From what I have read, Roadster owners say they get used to managing regen with the power pedal in about 30 seconds, so it doesn't sound as fearful as some have imagined it will be.

Isn't this the same as the Roadster? 0% with pedal pushed but no power to motor, up to 100% with pedal fully released. That's 100% of regeneration, which is pretty strong. Or are you getting that there is a different lever which determines how much regen the pedal manages: Dialing in 10% regen, pedal fully released gives you only 10% regen? Is this for those who cannot maintain a steady pedal pressure at zero power on and zero regen? From what I have read, Roadster owners say they get used to managing regen with the power pedal in about 30 seconds, so it doesn't sound as fearful as some have imagined it will be.

I think he's referring to the ability to dial in exactly how much regen you feel when you let off the accelerator. The other major auto makers are worried people will be too freaked out by regen and won't buy their car if it has the regen the Roadster has.

The other major auto makers are worried people will be too freaked out by regen and won't buy their car if it has the regen the Roadster has.

The Volt has a good solution for this. Just shift to L instead of D and you get a decent amount of lift throttle regen. Other people can drive your car with no learning curve by just selecting D, which only has noticeable regen on the brake pedal. D can also be used to coast for long distances.

Now if only there was "LL" and "LLL" shifter positions for even more regen power. :)

Good news about driver adjustability on the Model S. I'm hoping it also will be easy to find the zero torque spot on the accelerator to allow for easy coasting as well.

GSP

I'm guessing that 0% will be regen-which-resembles-conventional-ICE-braking (the default?) and 100% will be a more Roadster-like behaviour.

I wonder if the brake lights will still come on, regardless of the setting?

There are those who want what they had before. Even if it's not as good. David has only test driven a Roadster so he has not felt the regen benefits of stop and go traffic, canyon driving oer seen the mileage gains from regen.

Maybe he's only driven Disney's Autopia cars. I've heard since the remodel that the "go/stop" pedal is a lot harder to push than it used to be.

I think I need to go to the Deal Breaker thread and add that if the Model S doesn't have regen unless you hit the brake pedal, I'm getting my deposit back.

Surely 0% would be coasting, no regen at all ? And I seriously hope that there is NO default, that whatever setting you dialed in last time is kept.

There would have to be a default setting. A default setting doesn't mean that is what the car is necessarily going to go back to every time it is turned off. It just means that when everything first gets loaded it will be set to x regen. If a factory reset has to be done it would more than likely set the regen back to the default value of x regen. They should easily be able to have preferences set so that for different drivers you can have different regen levels for say 2 drivers.

-Shark2k