Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 launch - Jason 3 - Vandenberg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Falcon 9 • Jason 3

January 17th
Launch time: 1842:18 GMT (1:42:18 p.m. EST; 10:42:18 a.m. PST)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Jason 3 ocean altimetry mission. Jason 3 will measure ocean surface topography to aid in ocean circulation and climate change research for NOAA, EUMETSAT, NASA and the French space agency, CNES. Delayed from March 31, July 22 and December. [Dec. 12]

I thought most of these launches were to GTO when done from this facility. That said with the performance impertinent they might be able to do a recovery, and I believe they made a second drone ship just for the west coast.
It's my understanding that Vandenberg is used for polar or similar orbits since the range is over the ocean in a Southerly direction, as opposed to Florida which is clear going to the East.

It's my understanding that Vandenberg is used for polar or similar orbits since the range is over the ocean in a Southerly direction, as opposed to Florida which is clear going to the East.
If, as is mentioned, the purpose of this satellite is for oceanic telemetry then it would have to be a polar-type orbit. Equatorial orbits cannot cover a planet that has an equatorial-type spin (a little planetary tautology there; don't call me out on it!).

I wonder how far offshore the landing attempt will be? I'd like to go see the launch, but would be even more interested if the landing attempt could be seen real time. Any info?

This will be the first west coast attempt, so it may be different, but the east coast ones are about 100 miles offshore (about 200 miles downrange). I don't know which direction they go from Vandenberg, I think it's south. So guessing here, but I think somewhat offshore Los Angeles. Closer to the time they will post restrictions on the airspace, then you'll know.

Here is the most appropriate image I quickly could find regarding Vandenberg launch trajectories - regarding booster landings, anyway:
figure03a.jpg.gif

The surf may not cooperate...... Reports show very high surf hitting he area on the 16th.

They were supposed to have upgraded both of them to make them basically able to handle hurricane weather. So we shall see if the upgrades are enough or not.

I would feel more comfortable if this was the new rocket rather than the old one. But hopefully it will be enough. If not then the next launch on the cape will be what gives us our second landing.

I just want them to stick it so it can be proved doable on the ocean.

Excellent summary. I did not remember that F9 v1.1 debut flight was at Vandenberg:

The final use of the Falcon 9 v1.1 for a launch from Vandenberg, while coincidental, is somewhat appropriate given that the v1.1 variant made its debut during the as-yet-only-other Vandenberg launch of the Falcon 9 on 29 September 2013.

That's a fun little factoid.

I wonder if they will or can super-chill the oxidizer on the F9 v1.1? Or will this be done the old fashioned way? The article doesn't mention that.

The article mentions that there is no chance that the stage will be reflown, even if recovered, simply because it is the older model. Interesting.

Excellent summary. I did not remember that F9 v1.1 debut flight was at Vandenberg:

That's a fun little factoid.

I wonder if they will or can super-chill the oxidizer on the F9 v1.1? Or will this be done the old fashioned way? The article doesn't mention that.

The article mentions that there is no chance that the stage will be reflown, even if recovered, simply because it is the older model. Interesting.

No, the chilling is part of the "Full Thrust" upgrade, and this is the last of the older ones.

Static fire of the Falcon 9 is now scheduled for Monday.
Launch from VAFB Space Launch Complex 4 on Jan. 17 is targeted for 10:42 a.m. PST with a 30-second launch window.
If needed, a backup launch opportunity will be on Jan. 18 about the same time.