Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Free Powerwall from the Referral program include solar panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks, we don't have on/off peak hours in south florida.... I suppose it will just be a big battery backup for the house then, at my usage levels it might last an hour...

I would consider adding some solar panels if the price is right, but I imagine it won't be...

solar city is doing the installs?

No - you either have it work with your existing solar installation, have solar installed in conjunction, or just use it to store cheap power from the grid during off-peak hours and feed it back during peak hours.

That would be quite the deal if it did. :)

Just received a survey by e-mail. Did anyone receive theirs today?

PowerWall Configuration Email.JPG

Keep in mind that the Powerwall literally can not be used standalone. It does not include a DC->AC inverter, transfer switch, or anything like that. So, even to use it for backup you'd still need a compatible inverter, a mandatory loads panel, and a transfer switch.

I won a free Powerwall too from the referral program and it said it includes installation. I don't have solar panels or any of the equipment like an inverter, load panel or transfer switch. So will Tesla supply these items when they install my free Powerwall without any cost to me?

I won a free Powerwall too from the referral program and it said it includes installation. I don't have solar panels or any of the equipment like an inverter, load panel or transfer switch. So will Tesla supply these items when they install my free Powerwall without any cost to me?

Unfortunately, no. Tesla only provides the powerwall unit itself, and covers up to $1,000 installation costs. I'm guessing the $1,000 installation coverage will only cover very basic installations (assuming you already have an inverter installed). If you plan on having the powerwall also provide back-up power, that will require installation of an additional electrical panel to handle critical loads that you want to be able to run in back-up mode, which probably will quickly surpass the $1,000 installation costs that Tesla covers.

Unfortunately, no. Tesla only provides the powerwall unit itself, and covers up to $1,000 installation costs. I'm guessing the $1,000 installation coverage will only cover very basic installations (assuming you already have an inverter installed). If you plan on having the powerwall also provide back-up power, that will require installation of an additional electrical panel to handle critical loads that you want to be able to run in back-up mode, which probably will quickly surpass the $1,000 installation costs that Tesla covers.

Did you get the $1000 budget from Tesla?