Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear protective film kits for the X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of the lucky ones that have been able to order an X. I am planning on getting one of the protective films on the car. I have stopped into a couple of shop in in SoCal and one mentioned that there are no kits out with the correct pieces cut for each panel this means that they would have to hand cut each of the panels creating more wasted product (thus increasing cost).

Is this a concern from a quality POV? Does anyone know which companies are normally quickest to provide kits for new models?

I am one of the lucky ones that have been able to order an X. I am planning on getting one of the protective films on the car. I have stopped into a couple of shop in in SoCal and one mentioned that there are no kits out with the correct pieces cut for each panel this means that they would have to hand cut each of the panels creating more wasted product (thus increasing cost).

Is this a concern from a quality POV? Does anyone know which companies are normally quickest to provide kits for new models?

Hhhhmmmm...I just assumed that a high quality shop did all custom work, no precut pieces.

I use a custom shop here in ATL. They do their own pattern, cuttings and installation. Been using for 9 years on various cars, and even had a friend take his new body-style Corvette which was done with no issues.

I watched the process a couple of times, It is not something I choose as a DIY project. It was installed on 2007 Audi, and is perfect to this day -- eight years later. It will be a $140K vehicle, will leave to a pro.

Last edited:

this is true. Most of us in the industry use xpel/suntek as our film of choice and as our software of choice as well. Until xpel gets its hands on a model x and makes the patterns, you need to find the most qualified installer that specializes in teslas to work with you.

we are in Aliso Viejo and are waiting for two model x to arrive. When we are in a position like this, we look for beta cars to build our in-house custom patterns after. For that, we work closely with our client and offer them a beta incentive. We will also be doing a group buy, if you guys/gals are interested. We did this when Porsche first came out with the 918 and 991 gt3 and the program went beautifully and was a win/win for all involved.

please call or pm me if you, or anyone else reading this thread, is interested. Our services are not for everyone as we offer a specialized and high attention-to-detail product and we specialize in Porsches and Teslas. To date, we've worked on well
over 200 model s and several roadsters, so, we're naturally looking forward to the model x.

congrats to all those with the x and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Congrats on the purchase and being one of the first Model X owners!

There are a couple different things to consider, and the real answer to your question isn't so simple but the main point is to choose the right installer. Once you find a shop that you are comfortable with, view their work and have agreed upon packages whether the install is a kit or "custom" is really up to them and what they see being the best fit. That being said not all installations are created equal, just because an installer claims a "custom" installation does not mean the end result is going to be any better than a kit installation.

Xpel has their templates designed for the entire front end, our recommendation is to use this as a base. Most of the work we do is a combination of templates and custom app, our recommendation for our Model X owners is a hybrid installation on the front end. This is the best of both worlds and our clients are very happy with the protection and looks of these installations.

We're very excited to work on many Model X's owners throughout SoCal! :)

Does xpel or any of the other wraps interfere with the radar sensors?

We've wrapped over the sensors with both XPEL Ultimate and Suntek top coated, and have no issues

- - - Updated - - -

XPEL now has an excellent pattern for the Model X

I'm picking up my X this week (hopefully). I was planning on putting XPEL on it, but I'm worried it will interfere with the falcon wing door proximity sensors. Can anyone confirm they have installed paint protection film on the falcon wing doors without an issue? I know there was a mention of radar above, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Thanks.

I'm picking up my X this week (hopefully). I was planning on putting XPEL on it, but I'm worried it will interfere with the falcon wing door proximity sensors. Can anyone confirm they have installed paint protection film on the falcon wing doors without an issue? I know there was a mention of radar above, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Thanks.

A few people with Signatures have done it already and no problem. Snow, etc doesn't get in the way so a 200micron clear film is definitely not going to be an issue.

Here is how we did it. We used a combination of plotted patterns and custom cuts on the rest.
DSC_0797_zpsgn9dlqir.jpg

After Cquartz Finest and 60% coverage with Xpel!

I love my XPel on my S but my installation guy told me 3M is suing XPel for patent infringement, so he's concerned about XPel as a going concern. I think I'd still rather go with the XPel - sounds like 3M is just being a bully to a smaller, better competitor. That said, if anyone here has thoughts, I'd appreciate feedback/input.