Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alcantara on the dash -which option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Premium pack get you Alcantara insert on the top of the dash?

I'm sure it used to be specified but now the website is vague on this.
If not, then which option has to be ticked to get the alcantara dash inserts now?

or is this now a Pxx model feature only?

Does the Premium pack get you Alcantara insert on the top of the dash?

I'm sure it used to be specified but now the website is vague on this.
If not, then which option has to be ticked to get the alcantara dash inserts now?

or is this now a Pxx model feature only?

It's not vague to me. It's included in the Premium Interior and Lighting option ($3,000).

that's what I thought.

so why has my car with premium interiior and lighting option turned up without it?

I went to the website and the text is now changed and doesnt specifically state that it is included, just says "accents" now which was not what was stated at time of order.

that's what I thought.

so why has my car with premium interiior and lighting option turned up without it?

I went to the website and the text is now changed and doesnt specifically state that it is included, just says "accents" now which was not what was stated at time of order.

You should be able to select the color of the Alcantara headliner.

@Denariius

Umm - no it isnt .. well at least on my car it is not fitted as standard or as an option (mine is fully optioned).

Now I've noticed it I am pretty frustrated about it.
The premium pack upgrades the leather to a nice quality smooth nappa leather all around, except I have a pretty rubbish (in comparison) textured leather all over the upper part of the dash.
It might as well be a low grade textured vinyl.

This is going to irritate me every time I get in the car as it is right in line of sight.
For this money I would expect to get what I ordered, not whatever they happened to throw in.

- - - Updated - - -

You should be able to select the color of the Alcantara headliner.

I did - black

The headliner is correct, I expected black alcantara inserts on the dash top too.

@Denariius

Umm - no it isnt .. well at least on my car it is not fitted as standard or as an option (mine is fully optioned).

Now I've noticed it I am pretty frustrated about it.
The premium pack upgrades the leather to a nice quality smooth nappa leather all around, except I have a pretty rubbish (in comparison) textured leather all over the upper part of the dash.
It might as well be a low grade textured vinyl.

This is going to irritate me every time I get in the car as it is right in line of sight.
For this money I would expect to get what I ordered, not whatever they happened to throw in.

- - - Updated - - -

I did - black
P
The headliner is correct, I expected black alcantara inserts on the dash top too.

Maybe it is standard on the performance cars.

I plan to talk to Tesla, but I wanted a sanity check here first.

Have to say that the thought of an SC switching out the dash is quite a concern unless the top part separates.
Would be a very big job and somehow I doubt that Tesla would agree to it, especially as the website has now changed and it is no longer specifically referred to.

The Alcantara inserts on the dash still show up in the design center. Tesla will fix it don't worry.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451149420.654649.jpg

I truly hope you are right that Tesla will fix this.

My experience dealing with Tesla in the UK to date has been mostly great on the sales side, but the delivery process has been horrendous.
I have been within a gnats of telling them where to stick it on a number of occasions due to the apalling mess that the UK delivery team have managed to concoct.

As it is I am 850GBP out of pocket having been compelled to switch to an inventory vehicle after they screwed the delivery of my factory order, supposedly to be at least partially offset by accessories which have never showed up.
Am not enamoured by a brand new 85D only showing 227 miles @90% either, was expecting in the 240's.

I am really trying to like Tesla but the problems keep mounting up.

They stopped doing Alcantara on the dash in July 2015, actually end of Jun 2015. I got one of the final cars with it around mid June, a April end build. They have switched now to leather on the dashboard as an insert again - easier to clean and more durable according to Tesla.

It isn't an option now and I don't think you can request it. It does look good for contrast. Even though I have the Alcantara (which is part of the premium interior), I'd actually preferred to have received the leather insert that cars now get - seems like it'll last longer in the long run and be much easier to clean, shows no lint, and is more even.

-T

They stopped doing Alcantara on the dash in July 2015, actually end of Jun 2015. I got one of the final cars with it around mid June, a April end build. They have switched now to leather on the dashboard as an insert again - easier to clean and more durable according to Tesla.

It isn't an option now and I don't think you can request it. It does look good for contrast. Even though I have the Alcantara (which is part of the premium interior), I'd actually preferred to have received the leather insert that cars now get - seems like it'll last longer in the long run and be much easier to clean, shows no lint, and is more even.

-T

Mine was delivered 9/15/2015 and looks just like the picture above. The leather part of the dash is towards the windshield and the Alcantara suede insert is toward the seats. Looks great with a nice contrast.

Mine was delivered 9/15/2015 and looks just like the picture above. The leather part of the dash is towards the windshield and the Alcantara suede insert is toward the seats. Looks great with a nice contrast.
I know this is off topic, but do you have any pictures of your car you can share (the ones online are scarce)? Thinking about getting midnight silver.

-T
Sorry, I don't think so. My S90D was also built mid-September 2015 and has both a black alcantara headliner and dash inserts. Here's a photo of it in my garage just now where you can make out the alcantara insert and it's distinct texture. ;) I agree it may not be as easy to keep clean, and I'm glad I don't have little ones with sticky fingers possibly touching my dash, but I really love the contrast this soft-to-the-touch alcantara insert has and receive many comments on it.
IMG_1207.jpg

OP, do contact your SC! Good luck

They stopped doing Alcantara on the dash in July 2015, actually end of Jun 2015

Great.

So I order a vehicle in April 2015.
The alcantara on the dash is part of the advertised spec.

The car is delivered without this feature and nobody at Tesla is bothered to inform me about the change.
No doubt the small print allows for this, but it is unbelieveably rude to change the spec spec on a purchased item (especially at this price) without having the decency to inform the customer and give the customer options what to do about it.

Worse still it seems that only you know of this, even on this forum others seem oblivious of this change.

Reality is that I have a vehicle with cheap looking textured leather (assuming it is not vinyl) on the dash that looks nasty vs the smooth nappa elsewhere.
In all likelihood I would have canned the Premium package had I known this, I was much in two minds about the Premium option anyway and liked the alcantara on the dash as something a bit different.

Really dont get why Tesla and it's UK operation are trying quite so had to end up with a disgruntled customer, instead of the delighted aficionado they should have had.

Great.

So I order a vehicle in April 2015.
The alcantara on the dash is part of the advertised spec.

The car is delivered without this feature and nobody at Tesla is bothered to inform me about the change.
No doubt the small print allows for this, but it is unbelieveably rude to change the spec spec on a purchased item (especially at this price) without having the decency to inform the customer and give the customer options what to do about it.

Worse still it seems that only you know of this, even on this forum others seem oblivious of this change.

Reality is that I have a vehicle with cheap looking textured leather (assuming it is not vinyl) on the dash that looks nasty vs the smooth nappa elsewhere.
In all likelihood I would have canned the Premium package had I known this, I was much in two minds about the Premium option anyway and liked the alcantara on the dash as something a bit different.

Really dont get why Tesla and it's UK operation are trying quite so had to end up with a disgruntled customer, instead of the delighted aficionado they should have had.

I actually much prefer the napa leather... Does yours have NL accents or none at all?