Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos or other details on VIN 0681 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Roadster experts. Has anyone found photos or other information on VIN # 0681 ? It would have been manufactured around August 2009 (2.0, Model Year 2010). I'm wondering what color it ended up, and maybe who bought/owns it.

Last edited:
Hello Tesla Roadster experts. Has anyone found photos or other information on VIN # 0681 ? It would have been manufactured around August 2009 (but still Model Year 2008). I'm wondering what color it ended up, and maybe who bought/owns it.

A VIN of 681 would be a 2.0, it wouldn't have a model year of 2008. 1.5 Roadsters are classified as 2008 models. I have VIN #268 and it was made in April / 2009, however it is considered a 2008. Roadsters that were 2.0's started at VIN 500+ and the 2.0's were considered 2010 models. I believe the 2.5's were around 1000+ or so and considered 2011 models. With my numbers I'm talking only about US models.

TEG has the best scoop on all this.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobsJester
A VIN of 681 would be a 2.0, it wouldn't have a model year of 2008. 1.5 Roadsters are classified as 2008 models. I have VIN #268 and it was made in April / 2009, however it is considered a 2008. Roadsters that were 2.0's started at VIN 500+ and the 2.0's were considered 2010 models. I believe the 2.5's were around 1000+ or so and considered 2011 models. With my numbers I'm talking only about US models.
You're right! I have a big list of VINs, but I missed the MY 2010 marker right after VIN # 0500, the last "2008."

According to my notes (which were collected mostly on this forum), the "first 2.5" was VIN # 0964, delivered April or May 2010.

Last edited:
5YJRE1A17A1000681 VA"XML6551" White - Salvage (Virginia) Wreck, then EVsport@TMC (fixed)

I think maybe some body shop in Europe bought it, had it shipped across the Atlantic, repaired the body, then sold it back to someone in the USA who may have replaced the battery and then sold it again.

681-a.png

681-b.png

681-c.png

681-d.png

Photo 1 of 1 from Options

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
I've driven that car!

When I first looked into getting a Roadster, that was the only one for sale in my area. It drove nice...everything seemed tight on it.

Ultimately, I decided to go for a 2.5 (I really wanted the backup camera and big Nav screen)...and, to be perfectly honest, the salvage title scared me away.

The guy who restored it back to running condition is a member and posts on here sometimes.

Thanks for all of the information and photos, plus your stories, folks!

I guess I never got around to saying why I started this thread...

VIN #0681 was originally supposed to be mine. I signed the contract, put down half the money, and waited at least 15 months. When my turn came up, with only 3 months remaining for assembly and delivery, the stock market crash of 2008 hit, and I had a tough decision to make. I could have paid Tesla Motors the second half of the purchase price at a very risky time, or I could get all of my money back. I decided to get the refund. This Roadster ended being the only "investment" that I didn't lose money on in 2008!

For a while, I toyed with the idea of "selling" my spot in line, since it would have been the only way to get an "instant" car from Tesla Motors. I would have waited 18 months total, and I figured it might have been worth something to someone to cut the wait to just 3 months for the custom options to get locked in and manufactured. I even hired a lawyer to draw up a contract for transfer of ownership after full payment. Unfortunately, Tesla Motors really frowned on people selling their spot in line, for any reason - despite the fact that Tesla Motors allowed people to "buy" a spot ahead of those waiting, by pushing Sport models to earlier delivery dates, and the "final five" being delivered well in advance of others. The bottom line was that my lawyer informed me that no contract is perfectly guaranteed, and I might end up getting stuck, so I graciously bowed out. To their credit, Tesla Motors didn't even charge the $100 cancellation fee that was in the contract. That's incredible, given that I'm sure several waiting owners canceled at the same time. I assume that the reason my spot in line came up is that many of those in front of me had also bailed out due to the general economic conditions.

As you can see in the photo, I ended up with a 2.5 a few years later and it has exactly the options I was almost ready to "lock in" on #0681, plus the infotainment and backup camera.

Looks like #0681 hasn't been very lucky for anyone else - although I suppose it doesn't require particularly bad luck to wreck a car.