Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster carbon fiber door sills back in stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has to be a mistake, right?

The Roadster carbon fiber door sills have been out of stock for ages. All of a sudden they've reappeared in the Tesla online store and can be ordered:
Tesla Carbon Fiber Door Sills

I tried my luck and ordered a pair a few days ago. I am waiting for Tesla to contact me to refund the order, but so far I've heard nothing. Has anyone seen this happen before? Seems WAY too good to be true.

This has to be a mistake, right?

The Roadster carbon fiber door sills have been out of stock for ages. All of a sudden they've reappeared in the Tesla online store and can be ordered:
Tesla Carbon Fiber Door Sills

I tried my luck and ordered a pair a few days ago. I am waiting for Tesla to contact me to refund the order, but so far I've heard nothing. Has anyone seen this happen before? Seems WAY too good to be true.

It's always been that way. When I ordered mine and they were "IN STOCK" online, my local Tesla center said no. They called all around and the only ones available were the ones that had the ugly silver outline. Then all of them later were not available. However the Tesla Store always said they were in stock and you could order them. I had to pay some guy who I bought the sills through the Oregon Tesla Store who led me on to the guy an over charged amount just to have the stupid silver wrapped in black. I really expected Tesla to cover this cost. I should have just painted them instead of being overcharged by a 3rd party who knew Tesla to have them look the way they should have came. Anyways, the wrap got gouged, so VERY disappointed since it was recommended by Tesla. Something that should have cost $25 to do they charged me $150 to wrap a simple 9"x5" area twice. Talk about allowing someone to take advantage of you. They looked good until my dad put some luggage in the car that gouged the wrap. So not very up to par to your normal wear and tear. It was just a wheel from the luggage. Lame. And this was "recommended" by Tesla. I actually should call the store and file a complaint since I was billed 100% through Tesla. So I'd expect the same quality but it was unmatched.

Anyways, don't get your hopes up. At least I was able to get the real Tesla CF sills, although I wanted the black ones, I got the silver. Happy I got the sills, not happy with the service or outcome nor the false indication that the black sills were available all the time. Even though I mentioned it to Tesla multiple times, they kept the store up as if the sills were in stock.

Bad business practice and in my opinion very unprofessional.

I love my Tesla Roadster but hate the stupid Tesla BS which somehow keeps coming through that gives them a bad image like as I described above with my experience. This stuff keeps happening over and over it seems. Yes if you were a small company trying to make it I'll give you some slack, but right where they are now, and the more people ( which I hope are competent), this type of behavior should be diminishing but its not.

Last edited:
From my experience, there's some serious disconnect between the web side of Tesla both inventory & PR vs. the brick & mortar side. Really don't see how Elon doesn't see this and put an end to the mess.

If I was in charge of a company that I care about, I'd be clicking and verifying links and ensuring what my company is saying is indeed true to the best of our knowledge what we're marketing that's for damn sure. I would be like Steve Jobs firing people to get things back in balance and showing who's in control, letting people know there's ownership and accountability in a job, as well as setting an example of how a business should be run in today's economy.

Crap like that can break a company's reputation that is ultimately irreversible. And one person's bad customer experience is truly a toxic event that's damaging exponential for any company, that's a fact. If I didn't have time for it, I'd at least hire an intern who could take care of this role who'd be accountable. And if an intern is not responsible enough, at least someone with web and inventory experience at a minimum who has a resume that has a history of true accountability.

By the way, Tesla hasn't had the full adapter kit for the Roadster UMC charger for ages, however they still show and make it seem as if you can order it as if its available:

Tesla Universal Adapters - Available in North America Only

So same story there like the sills.

Its like nobody is at the web-wheel!

Does anybody at Tesla care about this? If so DO SOMETHING!

Elon, Do SOMETHING to fix this mess and mixed message you send to your dedicated Tesla customers. They have money for you to take, why don't you take it or at least show its unavailable?

I would. Its just simple and proper inventory management. I'd suspect if you can land rockets you can easily sync up a website with your inventory. That is not rocket science which I give you credit you understand with your latest SpaceX milestone.

Here's my thread on my sills and wrap. I was happy then until they got gouged. Then VERY displeased. Why? Because the website showed the black sills were still available and a Tesla Store recommended to have them wrapped as a band-aid, but then charged me fully by Tesla! If I had paid through a 3rd party to do the job, I may be more forgiving but this is in my opinion unprofessional in the way a real company should handle business. If I was charged $25-50 for the wrap which I would personally charge at the max in all honesty, but $150!?!?!? Come on. Talk about taking advantage of someone. And it doesn't hold up to the test of in / out activities of the car. My issue is that the wrap was sold under a Tesla Sale but not held up to any quality standards. Again if the price was reasonable but it wasn't. Thinking about it, I'll fire off an email with the person in the Tesla Oregon store who recommended this wrap job to at least share my concern. Hopefully they'll take accountability. This would not have happened if I had properly prep'd and spray painted the sill myself with a $5 can of spray paint that's for sure. I would have saved $145 + tax. And I personally HATE giving any more money to the Gov't then I already am giving that's for sure!

Carbon Fiber Sills with Black insert no longer available... have to be custom wrapped

Last edited:
It's possible that they are back in stock, but likely with the silver piece that both Wiztecy and I REALLY dislike. At least the rest of it in black CF looks beautiful. I think that Al and Ed's makes them as well for the same price or maybe $100 less.

Personally I like the silver scuff plate. It matches the silver door handles. If that's what Tesla has in stock, I'd certainly take it. Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Problem with the silver is that it defeats the purpose of the scuff plate and amplifies scuff marks, typically scuffing is dark and black. I originally liked the silver handles but then over time they look out of place in a sense. A carbon fiber handle would be more fitting, one of these days that'll be one of my upgrades. But with the silver, something is always better than nothing, and if you prefer it its all the better. Good luck in that they have them in stock when you check in!

Last edited:
Problem with the silver is that it defeats the purpose of the scuff plate and amplifies scuff marks, typically scuffing is dark and black. I originally liked the silver handles but then over time they look out of place in a sense. A carbon fiber handle would be more fitting, one of these days that'll be one of my upgrades. But with the silver, something is always better than nothing, and if you prefer it its all the better. Good luck in that they have them in stock when you check in!

You can also buy the leather door handles from the executive leather package. That's also somewhere on my to do list :)

Tesla_Roadster_Sport_13.jpg

Last edited:
Right, I believe you and smorgasbord at the least have a set of those. I saw smorgasbord's and they look good, an at a fraction of the cost for the CF ones which tip the scale at $450 from Sportline. I may even experiment with picking up some high quality paint then trying that. I find the silver is very prone to scratching if you have your keys in your hand while opening / closing the door or even a ring on.

To follow up on my earlier promise, I got this email from Tesla today:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We believe currently the color combination available is Carbon Fiber with Black which is what appears in the photo online. Upon receipt of the Carbon Fiber Door Sills at your Service Center, please feel free to take a look at them before they are installed to verify if the color combination is to your liking. If you choose to not have the Carbon Fiber Door Sills installed, we would be happy to issue a refund. However, please note once the Carbon Fiber Door Sills are installed on your vehicle, we cannot issue a refund.
We try to fulfill orders as quickly, vehicle accessory orders can take between 5-7 business days to be processed. We will be sending the Carbon Fiber Door Sills to the California – Sunnyvale Service Center as requested. They will contact you upon the receipt of your order and contact you to schedule the installation.

Please let us know if you have any questions."

I'll update this thread if or when they actually have something to show me.