Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quickcharging in Belgium (DC and AC)

Quickcharging in Belgium (DC and AC)

I just found a dutch weblog where a family is traveling to Italy with a Nissan Leaf, might be fun to read if you understand dutch: Weblog | Electric Vehicle to Italy

But there is something else I found in the blog: Dag 1: Eindhoven Marche-en-Famenne 174km (totaal: 174) | Electric Vehicle to Italy

It says:

Toen hebben we een een lagere modus geprobeerd (400V 63A) en die deed het! (op de paal in Nederland zag je ook wel eens lagere amperages staan, dus ik dacht: “Misschien is dat het wel”) Yesss! Dachten we. Maar na 5 minuten kreeg ik de schrik van mijn leven, want dat was Wisselstroom! En het begon ook een beetje naar warm wordend plastic te ruiken! En de km-teller liep niet op. Snel uitgezet!
    (Freely) Translated to English in a nutshell:

We tried a lower mode (400V 63A) and it worked! But after 5 minutes the KM-counter didn't increase. We found out that this fast charger has a seperate AC connector
    It seems that Total is placing Fast chargers in Belgium which support Chademo (500V, 125A) AND 3-phase 400V 63A!!!

There should be 12 chargers operational in Belgium.

If these chargers are IEC62192-2 (Type 2) connectors, you should be able to charge with 63A there with a Roadster as well. This PDF shows that the chargers are able to supply 63A 400V, so for the Roadster that is 14kW, but with three-phase charging it would be 44kW.

This is a picture of the charging station at Jambes: http://www.ev2i.nl/wp-content/upload...7-11.jpg-8.jpg

After some searching I found these locations:

Total Port de Bruxelles - Havenlaan 142 - 1000 Brussel
    Total Westland - Sylvain Dupuislaan 299 - 1070 Anderlecht
    Total Ruisbroek - E19 Parijs-Brussel - 1601 Ruisbroek
    Total Pacheco - Pachecolaan 7 - 1000 Brussel
    Total Anderlecht - Internationalelaan 11 - 1070 Anderlecht
    Total Vilvoorde - Schaarbeeklei, 199 - 1800 Vilvoorde
    Total Cambre - Waterloosesteenw. 886 - 1000 Brussel
    Total Haren - Haachtsesteenw. 1315 - 1130 Haren
    Total Bonaparte - Rijnkaai, 39 - 2000 Antwerpen
    Total Cerisiers - William Degouve de Nuncquesstraat 2 - 1030 Schaarbeek
    Total Orban - Orbanlaan 193 - 1150 Sint-Pieters-Woluwe
    Total Jambes - Av. du Luxembourg, 1 - 5100 Jambes
    These stations are paid, you pay 4 euro per 10 minutes of charging.
    Last edited by widodh; 2011-07-13 at 08:22 AM.

4 Euro for 10 minutes!?!? WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    4 Euro for 10 minutes!?!? WOW!
    It's 4 euro for 10 minutes of 125A 500V (50kW) and 63A 400V (44kW), if you charge with 32A it's 4 euro per 20 minutes.

No, it's not cheap, but it seems reasonable that the EV owner/driver pays for the new infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by widodh View Post
    No, it's not cheap, but it seems reasonable that the EV owner/driver pays for the new infrastructure.
    agreed.... and if you have more time you can go to the nearest restaurant/hotel/B&B and charge for free while you eat or sleep...

RN 098747
    Hopefully soon Tesla will find a solution for the difference in fast charging (between US & Europe) ...

When I will have my S, it is my intention of traveling not only within a distance of 200km from my home but trough Europe in a reasonable time.. and not having to hold a stop every 300 - 400 km for f.i. a 24 hours charging somewhere at an ordinary 240V plug....

As a last moment decision I went to Brussels today for a IT conference (FOSDEM).

It's 130km from my home, so I took the Roadster from my colleague and saw that there was a Total station just 3km from the venue, so I went there to check if the station worked (for Kevin Sharpe).

Well.... It didn't! When I arrived I noticed a Tesla Roadster HPC so that made me smile, after I bought a 15min card for 4 euro I tried to enter the code on the card. The display didn't respond.

Further inspection of the display showed that the date on it was 6-12-2012 6:32

Seems the whole system was hanging although all lights were green. The guy at the Total station was very friendly, but he wasn't able to reach the helpdesk which could reset it for him, so he gave me my 4 euro back and I charged at the venue where I am right now.

Should the system work, these are the available options:

- 1x 16A 230V (Blue CEE)
    - 3x32A 230V (Type 2 socket)
    - 63A Tesla HPC
    - 125A 400V CHAdeMO

Name:  total_charge_tesla_hpc.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  445.8 KB
    Name:  total_charge_code.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  489.9 KB
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

so I went there to check if the station worked (for Kevin Sharpe).
    Many thanks for your help.... such a shame people put complex payment systems in the way that prevent us from charging (and in my case visiting Brussels ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    Many thanks for your help.... such a shame people put complex payment systems in the way that prevent us from charging (and in my case visiting Brussels ).
    Well, the system might be reset already and might be working.

He told me that now and then a Roadster comes by to charge there.

I eventually charged with 32A at the University (ULB) where my conference was at.
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

Well, the system might be reset already and might be working.
    Unfortunately, I can't rely on a 'might' when undertaking a road trip with a speaking engagement at the destination If I had more time I would book an overnight stop and charge at 32A because I can trust the other HPC locations on route will be working.

does anybody know if the Total HPCs are working again? I guess this was just a specific problem with the Brussels charge point but if I travel in my roadster next week to Spa and Zolder, I need to know that it has been working since widodh had the problem!

At the charge stations, from the photos it looks like the only cables present are for the HPC and CHAdeMO... Is there really 2 type 2 sockets with one supplying 63 amp 400 v and one 32 amp 240 v??? They do not look like they are both type 2...

Thread Information