Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packwood National Autocross July 16 and 17 2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blair will racing Tesla #704 at the Packwood national in Washington state (southeast of Seattle) this weekend.

All are invited to watch the races this weekend. Make it a Tesla gathering.

Here is the link to the event. This link will also have a map of how to get there.

I will have my portable generator there in case anyone runs short of return home power.

Schedule

Who can make it?

Roger

Well, Blair finished 3rd in a field of 11 in the SS class. The weather played a big part in the race times. During group 1 it rained the whole time. Group 2 started with rain then it stopped just before Blairs first run but the track remained wet and cold. Group 3 had no rain and it was starting to dry up. Groups 4 and up had dry track conditions with the asphalt getting warmer into the afternoon. Blair had a que position early in group 2.

The results by manufacturer (SS class) were 1st, Corvette followed by Corvette, Tesla, Corvette, Lotus Elise, Lotus Elise and on. The results can be seen here.

Packwood Tour PAX/RTP Index Results - SCCA Results

Blairs Utube video is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjlQwKO1Bww&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Overall a good showing for Tesla.

Packwood drying up.jpg

awesome! I love auto crossing!

Just curious (still waiting for my roadster to be delivered). Doe the car tend to understeer? Looked like it did a bit in the video.

The Roadster comes by default with lots of understeer, no doubt to prevent inexperienced drivers from spinning out under high acceleration.

The adjustable suspension allows you to dial back the understeer quite a bit, by loosening the front sway bar. It's not enough to eliminate plowing, but it does apparently enable spinning.

That was the horn. Typically your hands are moving so fast it is hard not to hit the button. We normally take the fuses out for the windshield and horn. This was a regional event and didn't want to give anyone a reason to protest us. The rules state that everything is to work.

At 0:39 I hear the horn, but at 0:24 there's a series of 3 beeps which is either the VDS or maybe a cellphone, heh.

I noticed that; definitely a VDS alarm of some kind.

One thing I hate about the VDS is it plays that same sound no matter how serious the problem is. Major drive train failure, shutting down in 30 seconds - BRAP BRAP BRAP!!! Power Limit - BRAP BRAP BRAP!!! Tire pressure monitoring problem - BRAP BRAP BRAP!!! Very distracting when you are driving; you basically have to look at the screen to see whether it's a nuisance or you're about to lose power.

I noticed that; definitely a VDS alarm of some kind.

One thing I hate about the VDS is it plays that same sound no matter how serious the problem is. Major drive train failure, shutting down in 30 seconds - BRAP BRAP BRAP!!! Power Limit - BRAP BRAP BRAP!!! Tire pressure monitoring problem - BRAP BRAP BRAP!!! Very distracting when you are driving; you basically have to look at the screen to see whether it's a nuisance or you're about to lose power.

Great point and it should be listed in the firmware upgrades

Now that I listen to it closer, you're right. There are 2 times with the three beeps. My guess is the tire pressure monitoring because we are running 20 psi on the A6 Hoosiers.

When you are driving, the distractions and the helmet keep you from hearing it.

The only realistic way to tell for sure is to have the camera focused on the screen. We are running this weekend, maybe we will do that.

The only realistic way to tell for sure is to have the camera focused on the screen. We are running this weekend, maybe we will do that.
I suppose you don't mean that you would aim the camera only at the screen, but rather that you would set manual focus and make sure that the screen in within the depth of field. It looks like this is an HD camera, because the image is very good. I'm assuming that there might even be enough resolution to read the screen if you zoom in, even if the camera is still aimed mostly out the front window.