Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting to the back of the radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
Does anyone know how to get the JVC unit out, or how to get to the connections on the back of the unit? (2.0 Roadster Sport - with the KD-NX5000)

I want to take out the factory iPod adapter and replace it with a JVC KS-U58, which will let me control the iPod right from the iPhone rather than from the terrible JVC UI.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--josh

Usually there is a special tool that sildes down each side of the unit to release it and allows it to move out of the dash. I would suggest that you go to a reputable stereo installation store and have them assist you in making the swap. They can do it easily with a minimum of headache. The charge should be minimal.

With the Alpine idax-305S in my Roadster you first have to remove a small black plastic rectangle which surrounds the radio. I did this with a very small screwdriver. Then you have a small pin on the left and one to the right of the stereo you need to press down. After that you can pull the complete unit out.
It should be more or less like that on the JVC too.

With the Alpine idax-305S in my Roadster you first have to remove a small black plastic rectangle which surrounds the radio. I did this with a very small screwdriver. Then you have a small pin on the left and one to the right of the stereo you need to press down. After that you can pull the complete unit out.

Thanks - will take a look, but it seems to me that this JVC unit is different. It may need a special tool JVC provides. <sigh>

Don't forget about the clips that hold the bezel, you need to extract them using a small screwdriver/chisel/pick/knife. That can be a pain, which is why I'd had it professionally done. Other than that, all you really need to unhook the radio from the cage (radio holder) is two pieces of thin, stiff metal.

Usually there is a special tool that sildes down each side of the unit to release it and allows it to move out of the dash. I would suggest that you go to a reputable stereo installation store and have them assist you in making the swap. They can do it easily with a minimum of headache. The charge should be minimal.

Josh, When you got your roadster, you should also have received the JVC box with all the docs and a few extra cables. Inside the documentation you should find the two metal spanners that will allow you to remove the radio.

If this is one of the '08 units, you can control it from the iPod directly by setting the JVC into CD control mode instead of iPod mode (one of the setup menus - don't remember where), and inserting the ipod into the mount / bracket after the JVC is powered on - no extra thingies required. I ran that way a couple of weeks until I decided the control differences weren't worth remembering up pull up and re-insert the iPod (well, once I finished rating all the songs I had). Haven't tried that set up with the new iPod I have (classic, black - effectively disappears in the car when sitting on the StickyPad in the holder under the console). But it certainly wasn't enough of an issue for me to fiddle with an extra adapter.

For JVC radio removal. Remove the black outer bezel using a small flat blade screwdriver to release the side clips/latches molded into the bezel. Then take an old credit card and cut it lengthwise. Slip it down each side of the radio between the outer metal frame attached to the car and the radio. The latches are midway between top and bottom. This pushes back the latching clips and releases the radio.

If this is one of the '08 units, you can control it from the iPod directly by setting the JVC into CD control mode instead of iPod mode (one of the setup menus - don't remember where), and inserting the ipod into the mount / bracket after the JVC is powered on - no extra thingies required. I ran that way a couple of weeks until I decided the control differences weren't worth remembering up pull up and re-insert the iPod (well, once I finished rating all the songs I had). Haven't tried that set up with the new iPod I have (classic, black - effectively disappears in the car when sitting on the StickyPad in the holder under the console). But it certainly wasn't enough of an issue for me to fiddle with an extra adapter.
Yes, I found that also. It does work the way I wanted, but sometimes seems to revert back to ipod-lockout mode on occasion. Only reliable way for me is with a particular adapter by Kensington - a "2-in-1 Car Charger and AUX audio cable". That one takes a LINE-level audio out from the ipod connector, does properly charge an iphone/ipod, and can work with a slide-in dock like a Proclip. drop it in, all connects the way i want. Went with that and a proclip on my other cars and it's been great.

For JVC radio removal. Remove the black outer bezel using a small flat blade screwdriver to release the side clips/latches molded into the bezel. Then take an old credit card and cut it lengthwise. Slip it down each side of the radio between the outer metal frame attached to the car and the radio. The latches are midway between top and bottom. This pushes back the latching clips and releases the radio.

Thanks EFXjim. Very creative. I won't ask how you came to be the McGyver of car stereo removal! :wink: but that's what I needed. Will give it a try before going to a pro.