Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrating delays on inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car I have a deposit on is coming from WPB, FL to CO. I put the deposit down on 12/8, expecting it to be here next week. After several follow ups with the sales and delivery team, I find out yesterday it doesn't even have a ship date! Apparently, my delivery is delayed because their delivery model is that cars ship from West to East and the those trucks come back the other way and pick up deliveries going East to West. Mine also had the added complexity of coordination with a car in Atlanta that is coming to the Denver area. It's been a frustrating couple of weeks as my delivery person has been less than communicative about the delays and what was causing it. It wasn't until I got a sales manager involved that they were able to tell me anything useful. They did make assurances that if it didn't get here before end of year that the would refund me my deposit and transportation fees if I didn't want the car. There are tax reason for me to get it before 2016 and sales target reasons for them to get it here before then as well. They seem confident that the car will get here before then (they do have about 2 weeks but with Christmas in the mix too) and are trying to make it right but it sure is frustrating!

Has anyone else experienced unexpected delivery delays on their CPO/inventory cars?

Last edited:
I placed an order for an inventory car on 12/17, shipping from DC area to NYC. At the time they said last week of December. Obviously haven't heard anything further but will update this thread...

You might consider picking it up in Rockville and driving back to NYC. It's an easy trip and a great way to learn about your new S.

Took 3 weeks to get my inventory car from Toronto to Calgary, and the communication was... let's just call it "less than stellar".
I was first told a week after I bought it that it had already been sitting at the train yard for a few days, then a few days later I was told that it had never left Tesla's store and was in fact being detailed there before shipping, then over a week later I had heard nothing despite multiple tries to contact them when I suddenly got a call from a truck driver saying that he had my car on board and would be at my house in 3 hours...
So you could get a call tomorrow saying your car is about to be unloaded at your house, even before you hear it's been ready to ship...

Sounds about right.
Road Trip to Buy a Tesla?

One of my friends just bought an inventory car in Dania Beach, FL on 11/24 and it was delivered in Charlotte, NC on 12/12. So 3 weeks sounds common.

That seems to be the norm - I ordered an inventory 85D located in south Florida on 11/9 and it was delivered to me in Charlotte on 12/2 - very little communication from Tesla during the waiting period.

Ordered my inventory 70D last Wednesday. I was told it would be here by the end of the year. I don't have pictures of it because it was on a truck headed from Chicago to Indianapolis. He said they just rerouted it to Dedham MA. Still no ETA yet, which seems strange if it's already on a truck.....

Ordered my inventory 70D last Wednesday. I was told it would be here by the end of the year. I don't have pictures of it because it was on a truck headed from Chicago to Indianapolis. He said they just rerouted it to Dedham MA. Still no ETA yet, which seems strange if it's already on a truck.....
Mine was "sitting in a rail yard" for a week until I found out that it had never gone to the rail yard and was being shipped by truck... So I'd take their "it's already on a truck" with a grain of salt too...

I got an ETA!

Got an email from the DS guy and I have an ETA of the truck getting here by Saturday and then me possibly picking it up on Tuesday! <happy dance>

Now I have to do a lot of research on getting it XPELed/wrapped/etc. to protect it

Got a call from delivery last night. It was great to hear from them. I asked about the potential delivery date given that it's on a truck and was told that it's not on a truck and that "in transit" might be the term that I heard and would likely sound familiar. I told them nope...it was "in a truck" that I have in an email. So....no telling where it is. Either way, he said that that it'd likely get here before the end of the year. I let them know that if it's not here by EOY, then the deals off and all money is returned. He seemed confident enough to say that was fine. Can't wait!

I'm in the same boat with wanting an EOY delivery. They gave me the same assurance with refunding my money but I made them put it in writing. I have been anxiously watching the weather and there are two storms headed east in the next few days. I want the driver to be safe so I'm not suggesting he get here at all cost but it's still an anxious time.

I'm in the same boat with wanting an EOY delivery. They gave me the same assurance with refunding my money but I made them put it in writing. I have been anxiously watching the weather and there are two storms headed east in the next few days. I want the driver to be safe so I'm not suggesting he get here at all cost but it's still an anxious time.

I just requested it in writing as well. Good call given my experience with the rims (see 21" rim thread). I was also told that I'll be notified "when it arrives". I need a little heads up though. I can't just drop everything at work and head to Dedham. I assume like last delivery that I'll have a couple days notice. We'll see!

I just requested it in writing as well. Good call given my experience with the rims (see 21" rim thread). I was also told that I'll be notified "when it arrives". I need a little heads up though. I can't just drop everything at work and head to Dedham. I assume like last delivery that I'll have a couple days notice. We'll see!
I am lucky that my SC where I'm picking up the car is only 2 miles from me. I'm absolutely ready to drop everything! How far away is it for you?

i actually got a call from my DS guy to schedule when I want to come pick it up so they must be pretty sure! It's currently scheduled for Wednesday morning! :eek: I need to find that check off list I saw somewhere in the forums. So excited!

I placed an order for an inventory car on 12/17, shipping from DC area to NYC. At the time they said last week of December. Obviously haven't heard anything further but will update this thread...

Amtrak one-way to DC, drive it back using superchargers.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was "sitting in a rail yard" for a week until I found out that it had never gone to the rail yard and was being shipped by truck... So I'd take their "it's already on a truck" with a grain of salt too...

Grain of salt? Have you seen some of the cars as they come off a truck on the east coast after crossing the country? Covered in road grime, perhaps some salt. Don't go to the Tesla shop until you know they have prepped your car. :)