Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X key fob w/pic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
This comes from the Emergency Response Team material - a pic of the X fob.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-17%20at%2011.43.04%20PM.png

That #4 is to open the falcon-wing doors; obviously enough, the instructions say to press the appropriate side for that door.

I have an ergonomic question, though: how is one to squeeze just one side? It seems to me awfully easy to press both sides simultaneously (thus opening both doors), and less easy to press the "window" portion of the side you desire to open whilst applying the reactive force to, perhaps, the bottom edge of the opposite side. At least with the Model S - and the first three buttons of the X - one has the bottom of the fob against which to push.

(This post was supposed to be as a standalone thread; either I goofed or it got moved).

Last edited:
From the diagram it appears that the "active area" on the fob that you press to open a Falcon Wing door is inside the window outline. So you could still grip the fob on the side with one finger and press with another finger on the same hand. I think. We shall see...

That would make sense. The "trim" of the "windows" could prevent accidental presses on the other side.

Key fob on the X is blue tooth not radio controlled. Just found that out today. Not sure if thats new news or not. Apparently they were having problems with the grid strip because some people were tinting the back window dark. So they went blue tooth this go round.

Very easy to use the key. If you very talented you can even open both falcon wing doors simultaneously by using your thumb and index finger. lol...

So if it's not radio controlled - how do you open the doors if you want to open them from the house window for instance? Let say someone wanted to get some bags out of the car. Also, sometimes you want to check and make sure the car is locked. To do that you simply press once on the "roof" and you see the lights blink that it just acknowledged the signal received.

How far is the range when it's bluetooth?

That thing is huge! Does it come with a key ring?

Yes it does. It comes with a key ring connected to a small lanyard. You open the key's battery compartment, loop the lanyard over the small post, and snap the battery cover back on. The Model X fob uses a different battery type, a CR2354, which has the same rough diameter as the old 2032's, but is deeper by about 3 mm more.

The key is slightly taller (about 2-3 mm) than the Model S key, but the same length and width. It fits inside my AbstractOcean silicone fob holder, but is a tighter fit.

5fe7617ecd6e3e7fd430e19ebd873d37.jpg

Another pic... X key is black, S key is red... For perspective...

db972c59237000032c982e9372593593.jpg

Interesting! I assume the most pressed buttons are for the rear doors, and maybe the trunk? Do the button indents over the top of the FobPocket still line up fairly well, and are the door buttons easy to 'squeeze'? I ask, because I now have scans and casts of the X key, but I'm trying to figure out how to make the door buttons easy to press. Easy(ish) on the silicone's, but the leather FobPockets will need a redesign, the leather seam gets in the way.

Interesting! I assume the most pressed buttons are for the rear doors, and maybe the trunk? Do the button indents over the top of the FobPocket still line up fairly well, and are the door buttons easy to 'squeeze'? I ask, because I now have scans and casts of the X key, but I'm trying to figure out how to make the door buttons easy to press. Easy(ish) on the silicone's, but the leather FobPockets will need a redesign, the leather seam gets in the way.

Yes, it's easy to press the FWD buttons while the key is in the fob holder. I use all the buttons - frunk, trunk, and FWD's. FWD's seem to be most common for me so far. The frunk button needs to move forward about 1/4" to 3/8", and the trunk button needs to move back about 1/4"-3/8" (almost starting at the attachment tab). Center button is good, and side buttons are good.

If Tesla continues to ship the keyring, you may be able to forego the tab and keyring. Given the price of the keys, I use it as belt-and-suspenders insurance (both my S key and X key have a tether attached to the key and the fob, joined to a keyring that unifies them).