Thread: Ordered a P85 CPO Yesterday!

Ordered a P85 CPO Yesterday!

I leased a Nissan LEAF 2 years ago and quickly realized I could never go back to an ICE after driving electric. I never would have considered an electric car had it not been for the "Free LEAF" deal so I have Nissan and the GA tax rebate to thank for converting me! My lease is up next week and even though Nissan offered me an additional $5k incentive to buy the car ($10,600) I had always wanted the Tesla. I agonized over the decision the last 2 months but yesterday I found a great P85 CPO and I pulled the trigger. Car is in San Francisco so now I have to wait a few weeks for it to ship to Atlanta

In the meantime, I would love to hear from some other CPO owners on things that I should do to prepare for delivery. What should I pay attention to when inspecting the car? Any advice or things you would have done differently when picking up your car?

For charging I am already setup with a Clipper Creek 40A charger that I think I can use on the Tesla with a simple adapter. My car does have twin charging but don't think I will go for a HPWC install. The supercharger at Atlantic Station is only 10 miles from me so I feel like that is a backup if for some reason I need to quickly get some more juice. After driving a LEAF for 2 years I am not going to know what to do with 265 miles of range!

My car has the 21" wheels but would have preferred the 19's for more range, tire cost, etc. Anybody downgraded to 19's? Thoughts on doing this?

I downloaded the owners manual and will start reading that. Any other resources to read while I wait on the car other than TMC

Andrew
    2013 P85 | Silver Metallic | Pano | 21" Silver | Black Performance | Carbon Fiber | Twin Charger | Tech | Active Air | Sound Studio | VIN P04062

You will be fine with the 40A unit and the adapter that Tesla provides. I use a Leviton 40A with and adapter for the last 7 months. I have dual chargers but the 40A is all I need at home.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewknight View Post
    I leased a Nissan LEAF 2 years ago and quickly realized I could never go back to an ICE after driving electric. I never would have considered an electric car had it not been for the "Free LEAF" deal so I have Nissan and the GA tax rebate to thank for converting me! My lease is up next week and even though Nissan offered me an additional $5k incentive to buy the car ($10,600) I had always wanted the Tesla. I agonized over the decision the last 2 months but yesterday I found a great P85 CPO and I pulled the trigger. Car is in San Francisco so now I have to wait a few weeks for it to ship to Atlanta

In the meantime, I would love to hear from some other CPO owners on things that I should do to prepare for delivery. What should I pay attention to when inspecting the car? Any advice or things you would have done differently when picking up your car?

For charging I am already setup with a Clipper Creek 40A charger that I think I can use on the Tesla with a simple adapter. My car does have twin charging but don't think I will go for a HPWC install. The supercharger at Atlantic Station is only 10 miles from me so I feel like that is a backup if for some reason I need to quickly get some more juice. After driving a LEAF for 2 years I am not going to know what to do with 265 miles of range!

My car has the 21" wheels but would have preferred the 19's for more range, tire cost, etc. Anybody downgraded to 19's? Thoughts on doing this?

I downloaded the owners manual and will start reading that. Any other resources to read while I wait on the car other than TMC

Andrew

Don't worry, TMC can keep you plenty busy for a very very long time!

I also watched every video on youtube relating to Tesla, and every document on the Tesla motors webpage.

And I waited... forever... (ok, it just felt that way, and compared to so many others on here who waited so much longer I have nothing to complain about, my Inventory car took 3 weeks to get to me)
    2014 P85+ (P55801), Green / Tan, Alcantara, Red calipers, Spoiler, Pano, Auto-pilot, High-fi, Premium lighting, Dual chargers

We have a Level 2 charger for our Volt and was using that for a while. It charged at about 21 miles per hour. Was a pain to always change the adapter for the two cars so I had the Nema 14-50 plug installed. It charges at at rate of about 28 miles per hour. The condition of your CPO will depend a lot on the site that prepares the car. We picked ours up in Fremont and I think all they did was wash the car. When I was done inspecting the car, I had a list of about a dozen items that needed to be addressed. The local Van Nuys service center was surprised at the items that needed to be corrected. As an example, the carbon fiber spoiler was badly scraped, the nose cone was damaged and the chrome splitter under the back of the car was cracked. This is just a few of the items. Make sure you see the alignment specs. Mine was in the red for the camber, which is an issue on these cars. Look at every panel for dents, checks the seams for alignment, and check all the glass for damage. Make sure you check the tires, particularly the inside of the rear tires. Have them charge the battery to 100% so you know what the shape of the battery is. Van Nuys is addressing all of my issues and I am certainly pleased with the car. It is a blast to drive.
    2013 P85 Mulit-Coat Red | Black Perf Interior | Carbon Fiber | Air | Sound | Tech | Dual Chargers | 19's

We also have a Volt, which will be handed off to my son. I've already pre-wired the new location for the Volt Charger and I went ahead and bit the $750 bullet to install the HPWC. I installed it with good enough wires to handle a 60 or maybe 80 amp feed, but only have a 50 amp breaker on it now. I think the 40 amp will be fine - charging overnight.

Preparing for my baby - HPWC Install
    85D | Tan Next Gen | Metallic Blue | 19"s | Pano | Premium Sound | Air | Autopilot | Black Alcantara | Premium Interior
    Ordered: 5/23/15 | Waiting for son to turn 16 and get my 2011 Volt | Delivery April 2016
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS

Clipper creek 40 will be fine, I predict. Try it for a while before you waste more money. I also had 21s but switched to 20s aftermarket after 2 pothole incidents. 21s are beautiful but hazard prone. To me and many others, 20 is great compromise. There are a number of threads here on wheels and tires, as well as a number of forum participants representing wheel makers.
    Insight, great. Assistance, awesome. Constructive problem solving, check. Data collection, cool. Humor, yes please! But no whining!

Classic P85 powered by 5 kW solar system
    VW eGolf

The loaner car that they gave me has 21's while my car has 19's. Maybe it is just my butt-o-meter, but the 21's seem to give a much harsher ride. Both car's have air, but I seem to feel every nuance on the road in the loaner.
    2013 P85 Mulit-Coat Red | Black Perf Interior | Carbon Fiber | Air | Sound | Tech | Dual Chargers | 19's

Congrats on the upgrade!
    P85 - Signature Red

Quote Originally Posted by CLLACAB View Post
    We have a Level 2 charger for our Volt and was using that for a while. It charged at about 21 miles per hour. Was a pain to always change the adapter for the two cars so I had the Nema 14-50 plug installed. It charges at at rate of about 28 miles per hour. The condition of your CPO will depend a lot on the site that prepares the car. We picked ours up in Fremont and I think all they did was wash the car. When I was done inspecting the car, I had a list of about a dozen items that needed to be addressed. The local Van Nuys service center was surprised at the items that needed to be corrected. As an example, the carbon fiber spoiler was badly scraped, the nose cone was damaged and the chrome splitter under the back of the car was cracked. This is just a few of the items. Make sure you see the alignment specs. Mine was in the red for the camber, which is an issue on these cars. Look at every panel for dents, checks the seams for alignment, and check all the glass for damage. Make sure you check the tires, particularly the inside of the rear tires. Have them charge the battery to 100% so you know what the shape of the battery is. Van Nuys is addressing all of my issues and I am certainly pleased with the car. It is a blast to drive.
    That is great feedback! I will add all of these to my delivery checklist!

Quote Originally Posted by tomas View Post
    Clipper creek 40 will be fine, I predict. Try it for a while before you waste more money. I also had 21s but switched to 20s aftermarket after 2 pothole incidents. 21s are beautiful but hazard prone. To me and many others, 20 is great compromise. There are a number of threads here on wheels and tires, as well as a number of forum participants representing wheel makers.
    I am going to have an electrician come out and give me a quote but I agree I will probably try the clipper creek for a while and see how I do.

Andrew
    2013 P85 | Silver Metallic | Pano | 21" Silver | Black Performance | Carbon Fiber | Twin Charger | Tech | Active Air | Sound Studio | VIN P04062

Andrew
    Congrats on you new to you Model S!

The Leaf also turned on the e-car light bulb for me- had one as a rental for 2 weeks and I did not ever want to go back to gas!

Drive the 21's for a while to see how they work for you. Yes, tire replacement cost, vulnerability to big potholes is more but aesthetic wise they look perfect for the S. Mine came with 19's but recently picked up a set of 21's and love they way the look and ride. The ride is more firm/harsh as they are performance wheels for a sportier feel but this is all a personal preference. Affect to range is nominal if any. It will be easy to swap your 21's for 19's as more folks tend to want to do the +1 swap to 21's.
    S 85 | Black | Black Nappa | Pano | Obeche Gloss | Yacht Floor | Parking Sensors | 21" Dark Grey Wheels (non staggered)| Std Suspension | Single Charger | Tech | New-(service loaner)Inventory Unit Confirmed 11/17/14 | Delivered 11/22/14

Thread Information