Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
PlugInSites-org_LaurelSCmap.png

Folks, I finally tracked this one down!

An application has been submitted to build an eight stall Supercharger at 14700 Baltimore Avenue in Laurel, Maryland. This is the Towne Centre at Laurel shopping center.

They will be on the ground level of the parking garage next to the Regal 12 Movie Theater. A permit will be issued when a contractor is selected.

Read my report on PlugInSites.

Lanny

As always, you're quite the investigator, Lanny :)

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but ...

1. It's not that close to I-95 (3.5 miles)
2. Lower level of a parking garage is less than ideal: It's difficult to find.
3. Next to a movie theater is less than ideal: ICEing, likely by people who will be there for hours

A

Last edited:
For a initial Supercharger in the DC / Baltimore corridor I feel it is a good location. It splits the difference between I95 and the BW parkway (both are major North / South routes), in addition to being on Rt1. This location covers the 3 main routes between DC & Baltimore. As for the specific location in the Town Center, that is to be determined.

3. Next to a movie theater is less than ideal: ICEing, likely by people who will be there for hours

A

My thoughts exactly! There were some better locations at this Towne Centre, but it is still better than Bethesda.

Thanks Lanny for finding this!

A

I have to agree wholeheartedly. I'll take it, but strange choice of location being so far out from 95.

What is interesting about the location is that by its nature it encourages local and destination charging. It is really not that different from the location of the Woodbridge, VA supercharger.

Indeed it would be great for travelers to have it.

So where will be the next one, White Marsh, MD? It would be perfect for that IKEA trip with a Model X :)

Roughly:
160mi to Hamilton
170mi to South Whitehall
170mi to the Atlantic City Boardwalk
130mi to Center City Philadelphia
125mi to Glen Allen
100mi to Strasburg

Aside from the potential for miserable traffic, which frankly is a risk anywhere near DC, I think this is an excellent location to add to the network, particularly for allowing some folks to skip Newark, Bethesda, and even Woodbridge. Lots of places to eat as well.

Thanks Lanny for the excellent sleuthing!

Reactions: nikielizabeth
Thank you for finding this. This is a couple of miles from my house and is a welcome addition but I am surprised the supercharger team could not find a better location. I believe this part of Laurel is within the Prince Georges County and is usually a place that I would not venture out during the nights although the mall is one of the better areas. An ideal location would have been around Elkridge in Howard County.

Traffic will be an issue during week days to get here. I would say it would take at least 15 minutes to get here from I-95. Getting there from 295 might take a little longer. I will keep an eye out for construction.

• Funny
Reactions: CHGolferJim
Roughly:
Aside from the potential for miserable traffic, which frankly is a risk anywhere near DC, I think this is an excellent location to add to the network, particularly for allowing some folks to skip Newark, Bethesda, and even Woodbridge. Lots of places to eat as well.

Thanks Lanny for the excellent sleuthing!

As you say, nowhere near DC is going to be particularly accessible, and I for one wouldn't have minded if they had leaned more in favor of highway travel and less in favor of local amenities.

The biggest boon is that this should provided some relief for Newark, especially for the northbound I-95 traffic.

Thats a pretty good location - just be careful at night - it is Prince Georges County - which is slowly becoming a bedroom community for SE DC. Good friend of mine is a SWAT team member in PG and it definitely has some problems in other areas. This is one of the safer locations and close to good jobs in the Fort Meade area.

Here is the crime map for the area
Here is a look at homicide tallies during the past five years:
2010: 90
2011: 95
2012: 64
2013: 56
2014: 54
2015 YTD 60 (as of October 2015)

Reactions: nikielizabeth
Thanks Lanny for finding this!

I have to agree wholeheartedly. I'll take it, but strange choice of location being so far out from 95.

In dense areas I wouldn't expect perfection.
6.8 mile diversion is a bit large (there are others worse than that). But how much extra time it takes would likely be more important.

Woodbridge to Newark is 130 miles, so Laurel will be skippable for people driving up I-95.

EDIT: double-checking, it looks like it would be a much bigger diversion Northbound than Southbound, due to the way the exits are set up there.

Last edited:
In dense areas I wouldn't expect perfection.
6.8 mile diversion is a bit large (there are others worse than that). But how much extra time it takes would likely be more important.

Woodbridge to Newark is 130 miles, so Laurel will be skippable for people driving up I-95.

EDIT: double-checking, it looks like it would be a much bigger diversion Northbound than Southbound, due to the way the exits are set up there.

But we don't want people skipping it and going to Newark. That's part of the point :)

Glad to see they found a location and are moving ahead but I just hope that this doesn't mean that the "temporary" location at Bethesda will go away after Laurel opens. Long term, there will be a much greater need for distance charging with the addition of MX and M3 fleets out there.

Awesome job Lanny!
+1 to Andrew's concerns, personally I would have preferred near a MOM's, or closer to I95, but I guess Rt 1 is better than 295.
And hopefully this will take some of the pressure off of Bethesda!