Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help getting Des Moines, IA Destination Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Des Moines, IA needs a Destination Charger and over the past two years I have personally contacted every major hotel brand in the area. My last contact, about a month ago, was the Holiday Inn in West Des Moines. Today the GM called me to say that they were very interested and had immediately contacted Tesla but hadn’t heard back.

Is there anyone who shares my interest for this Destination Charger or can give me advice on how to motivate Tesla?

Yes, Des Moines needs Destination Chargers! I contacted the Extended Stay America Inn last year about the Destination Charging program. Unfortunately, their hotels are all company-owned so the local manager has little power to make such things happen. I had multiple conversations with them, but it never went anywhere.

HPWC seem to pop up at Holiday Inns across the country, I've noticed. Whatever their corporate structure & culture, HI seems to get the advantage having chargers gives them. Keep us posted on how it goes. Several of us from the Twin Cities Tesla Enthusiasts group went to Des Moines in the fall of 2014 to give people rides. We had a blast, and I'm sure we'll do it again once a hotel in the area offers charging.

For what it's worth, in the meantime I have a HPWC listed on Plugshare. I'm located just about 5 miles off of I-80/35 on the NW corner of Des Moines.

I too have spoken with a contact I have in the area that works in management at the local Mariott. She got all excited and talked about how they were going to put an "ev" plug in they're valet lot. I tried to explain the benefits and differences regarding the destination charger program, but I just don't think she got it. She was a little busy at the time, so I plan to take another stab at it.

What is really needed is SuperChargers along I-80. I live in the Chicago suburbs and would love to take my Model S to visit my daughter at College in Rock Island on the Iowa/Illinois border. I would also like to be able to do business trips to Des Moines, IA. I most cases I wouldn't be spending the night (just going for a game or concert), so I really need a SuperCharger to get a full charge quickly before I head back to the Chicago suburbs.

SuperCharges along I-80 have been promised for quite some time. The map now shows them being built out in 2016 (pushed back from 2014 and then 2015).

What is really needed is SuperChargers along I-80. I live in the Chicago suburbs and would love to take my Model S to visit my daughter at College in Rock Island on the Iowa/Illinois border. I would also like to be able to do business trips to Des Moines, IA. I most cases I wouldn't be spending the night (just going for a game or concert), so I really need a SuperCharger to get a full charge quickly before I head back to the Chicago suburbs.

SuperCharges along I-80 have been promised for quite some time. The map now shows them being built out in 2016 (pushed back from 2014 and then 2015).

The pushing back of those dates has pissed off a number of people. Me included. The majority of my roadtrips are East of Des Moines, which basically leaves my MS in the garage. Tesla needs to work a little more on the concept of 'under promise, over deliver'.

I probably misspoke about Timberline. I charged there with a 50 amp connection some year and a half ago. The owner wanted to install a Tesla connection and I turned him on to the Destination charging crew. I was copied on an email between the owner and the Tesla folks. I haven't been back since that time and I think I mistakely read the charging symbol on my car's map as an indication of a Tesla charger, when it just indicated I had charged there before. Sorry about that.

I probably misspoke about Timberline. I charged there with a 50 amp connection some year and a half ago. The owner wanted to install a Tesla connection and I turned him on to the Destination charging crew. I was copied on an email between the owner and the Tesla folks. I haven't been back since that time and I think I mistakely read the charging symbol on my car's map as an indication of a Tesla charger, when it just indicated I had charged there before. Sorry about that.

Ahh. That makes sense. No worries. Was just curious.

For what it's worth, in the meantime I have a HPWC listed on Plugshare. I'm located just about 5 miles off of I-80/35 on the NW corner of Des Moines.
Thanks Dave! Your HPWC with 80amps was a wonderful stopping point for us but we don't want to continue to be beggars. Besides the Des Moines area is a perfect overnight stop point for us and we will be anxiously waiting to hear of destination chargers being installed.

Just don't try to go to New York City <sigh>.

I too am anxious for super chargers on the I-80 corridor. I live in Grand Rapids, MI with family in the Rock Island area. The trip back in my Tesla is not a fun one considering the distance that has to be traveled from the Country Club Hills supercharger.