Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there really a difference? 2015 vs 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my 2015 P90D last week. Love the car, but also loved my 2013. Aside from the performance, is there really a difference worth the upgrade? It's a decision I struggled with for 8 months before finally pulling the trigger. The auto pilot software was what finally put me over the edge. Beyond that and Next Gen seats, can't say there's really much of a difference. I got the same joy out of my 2013 as I do the 2015. The 2015 allows me to show off its muscle to friends. Is that worth another $33,000?? That's for each individual to decide. The next gen seats are certainly nicer, but not quite as big of a difference as I expected. The Auto Pilot feature so far has done more of scaring the crap out of me than it has been a useful tool. Jury is still out on that one. Assuming it will get better with time.

Overall, absolutely love my new car, but at the same time, I loved my 2013 too.

23708239121_693fa2187d_b.jpg

23708227071_01694a6657_b.jpg

I also have a 2013 and then test drove a 2015 last weekend. I immediately noticed a difference in the quality of build and reduction of cabin noise....so much so that I posted about it on this forum and I haven't posted in quite some time. So, yes....in my opinion (and my very picky wife's opinion as well), there is a difference.

I have a 2013 and just recently tried a 2015. Build quality is much improved, inside and out. I noted over a dozen changes to the interior. Everything from the seat belt mechanism (redesigned so no squeak), rear seatbelt (now has a pivot so it doesn't bind, and belt is longer), center arm rests are redesigned with more padding and better look, dash was more solid, less flexible material, etc. Another other big change was the air suspension -- my car feels slightly floaty in the rear and takes a sec to settle after changing directions. The new cars just feel more solid and confidence inspiring. Service center said they have made changes to dampers and bushings over the years to make it drive and ride better. New cars are significantly quieter. Nothing was dramatically different, but essentially everything felt more refined and polished, which makes the car seem a lot nicer overall.

I recently went from a modestly equipped 2014 S85 to a fully equipped 85D, I will try to enumerate the changes I have seen, (besides the obvious, AP, next gen seats, dual motor etc)
1.) Less cabin noise, (my old one had a solid roof, and the new has a pano) and the new one is quieter still
2.) Automatic closing charging door
3.) rear hatch mechanism, much quieter
4.) better wiper design
5.) better fit and finish throughout.
6.) WAY better frunk mechanism
7.) "correct" turn signal stalk location
8.) much better braking feel (probably has to do with electro-mechanical braking system)
9.) Metal Door Sill protectors.

There's more, I just cant think of them. When I do, I will come back and edit.

Last edited:
Took delivery of my 2015 P90D last week. Love the car, but also loved my 2013. Aside from the performance, is there really a difference worth the upgrade? It's a decision I struggled with for 8 months before finally pulling the trigger. The auto pilot software was what finally put me over the edge. Beyond that and Next Gen seats, can't say there's really much of a difference. I got the same joy out of my 2013 as I do the 2015. The 2015 allows me to show off its muscle to friends. Is that worth another $33,000?? That's for each individual to decide. The next gen seats are certainly nicer, but not quite as big of a difference as I expected. The Auto Pilot feature so far has done more of scaring the crap out of me than it has been a useful tool. Jury is still out on that one. Assuming it will get better with time.
<snip>
You will definitely get used to AP. I now use it all the time on the highway and really only have to drive myself when entering and exiting the freeways. You will learn when it needs moral support and when it has enough data to drive for you. It really makes road trips so much more enjoyable and effortless. I feel like I'm only driving about 10% of the time now, and she the other 90%. It's THAT good. Just completed about 1500 miles in 6 days and each time I arrive at the next destination I am overjoyed at how well AP works. I especially love AP during night-time driving. For years I've been struggling with not seeing that well at night, especially with depth perception, and now changing lanes in the dark is a no-brainer. She has all the data to make the decisions and much better "eyes" than I do in the dark. Thank you, Elon and team!

I also have a 2013 and then test drove a 2015 last weekend. I immediately noticed a difference in the quality of build and reduction of cabin noise....so much so that I posted about it on this forum and I haven't posted in quite some time. So, yes....in my opinion (and my very picky wife's opinion as well), there is a difference.

My 2013 is just about to hit 40,000 miles. I've noticed similar improvements in loaners I've had recently, and am looking forward to benefiting from them and more with my upcoming X. Regarding updated bushings, etc., when I had my S85 in for the 2-year service they replaced a few things in the suspension, and when I picked it up the car definitely felt tighter, more like new. That made me feel good about buying the service plan.

One change I don't like is that they removed the grabber things from the cup holders. I understand they broke a few styrofoam cups, but I much prefer having my travel mugs and other drinks gripped tightly to letting them rattle around in the loaners I've had. I hope the X cupholders are better.

I recently went from a modestly equipped 2014 S85 to a fully equipped 85D, I will try to enumerate the changes I have seen, (besides the obvious, AP, next gen seats, dual motor etc)
1.) Less cabin noise, (my old one had a solid roof, and the new has a pano) and the new one is quieter still
2.) Automatic closing charging door
3.) rear hatch mechanism, much quieter
4.) better wiper design
5.) better fit and finish throughout.
6.) WAY better frunk mechanism
7.) "correct" turn signal stalk location
8.) much better braking feel (probably has to do with electro-mechanical braking system)

There's more, I just cant think of them. When I do, I will come back and edit.
How is the frunk mechanism better?

rear seatbelt (now has a pivot so it doesn't bind, and belt is longer).

You can have the service center replace the internal mechanism of the rear seatbelts so that they no long bind when pulling it. I had this done in June of 2013.

One change I don't like is that they removed the grabber things from the cup holders.

This change happened in April 2013.

I had a loaner for a day last week - I believe it was a 2014 P85 and I could really tell the difference in "fit and finish" between it and my 85D. It only took a few miles of driving it to feel how much tighter my car is, how much quieter, etc. Overall I think the biggest changes have actually just come in tightening up the manufacturing tolerances, fixing fit and finish issues, etc.

Tesla rolls out changes whenever they are ready. Not a traditional model year difference. Software updates come every 3 to 4 months on average. If you wait a little while longer to order the Model S the delivery will be in 2015. Tesla is showing orders now delivered 'late December'. Remember you can apply for $7500 fed tax credit for the year delivered.

You will definitely get used to AP. I now use it all the time on the highway and really only have to drive myself when entering and exiting the freeways. You will learn when it needs moral support and when it has enough data to drive for you. It really makes road trips so much more enjoyable and effortless. I feel like I'm only driving about 10% of the time now, and she the other 90%. It's THAT good. Just completed about 1500 miles in 6 days and each time I arrive at the next destination I am overjoyed at how well AP works. I especially love AP during night-time driving. For years I've been struggling with not seeing that well at night, especially with depth perception, and now changing lanes in the dark is a no-brainer. She has all the data to make the decisions and much better "eyes" than I do in the dark. Thank you, Elon and team!

Do you keep your hands on the wheel as the warning says when you turn it on? I ask because if you do, I would like to ask how autopilot makes your trips better? I am disappointed in autopilot - like the OP I had a 2013 and bought a 2015 (mfg in May 2015) for the autopilot function. I get use out of it only on extremely good, well-marked highways. Unfortunately most roads don't fit that description. How does it make driving more enjoyable if you keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road the same as if you were driving? To me it just adds stress when you know the car is going to dive for an exit or get off-track and head straight for the concrete barrier between the exit and the highway so you either pull it back or die. I'm hoping for V7.1 to be an order of magnitude better than the V7.0 we have now.

To answer the OP's question, yes I see a difference in the cabin noise - seems better in my 2015. Other than that, no difference. I'm on the fence about whether I should have kept the 2013 - if autopilot doesn't improve it will have been a grievous error.