Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Salvage Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking through Ebay motors to see what Model S vehicles were for sale and came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Model...e6f2e35b:g:EvIAAOSwxN5WWf9j&item=291637486427

I was curious if any of you on here would ever take a chance with this vehicle and getting it repaired at a Tesla approved body shop. Would the cost of repair be worth saving the money on a new P85?

I honestly wish I could take a chance on this myself but I am fresh out of college with a student debt. I do have a good job but I'm certainly not paid enough to be buying Tesla's on a whim.

What do you guys think?

The IC shows the battery at 0 miles, and it's likely been that way for a while. The damage is to the rear of the car, which could have caused any number of issues. From the way the back is sitting I have a feeling there are going to be a whole lot of problems, personally.

The pack is probably intact, but 18k miles and sitting with no charge for who knows how long, it's never going to be the same.

Major Rear-quater panel repairs are extremely difficult and expensive to fix. Looks like at least a $20k repair to me, quite possibly more, maybe much more. And as Wk057 has noted the the pack (and the 12V battery) are basically dead. Add on to that the reported issues with getting Tesla to certify a salvage title car and I wouldn't touch it. If you want a cheap P85, there is a CPO for $57k that'd be a much better deal.

The only good thing I see is that its got the 7.0 firmware so it can't have been sitting for too too long.

Any time the car wont drive after an accident the damage probably isn't minor. The salvage yards do quick visual fix ups a lot of the time to make them look more appealing.

I would not buy unless you plan to part it out. If you try to restore it can not only be very expensive, it can also be very difficult to prove to tesla that it has been restored to their high standards. If you cannot convince tesla, they will not "activate" the car or service it, or sell you the parts you need. Be careful.

GSP

I had an accident with my Model S with damage to the front:

There is no damage to the battery, motor or cabin, so the majority of the car is unharmed, yet the body shop has quoted very high repair cost that shocked me: $39K CAD. The insurance approved it, but I am wondering if its worth to repair at such cost, or maybe sell it as salvage, then buy a CPO car instead.

Anybody could advise me how to go about selling a damaged car for salvage ?