Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement 19" tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
Well, my OEM Michelin MXM4's are about done at around 21,000 miles. I'm strongly considering Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus this time around, but I'm having a hard time getting real head to head comparisons against the MXM4's. For example, TireRack's comparison has the Serenity Plus against the Michelin Premier A/S and the MXM4 against the older Serenity's. The older Serenity's are not LRR and the new Plus should be both quieter and is rated as LRR for better efficiency.

I don't really drive my Model S in bad weather, so I am potentially up for putting on ultra high performance all season tires. The question I have is if I go with something like the Continental ExtremeContact DSW 06 or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, just how much louder is a tire like that over the MXM4's?

Thanks much for any insights people can provide.

Well, my OEM Michelin MXM4's are about done at around 21,000 miles. I'm strongly considering Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus this time around, but I'm having a hard time getting real head to head comparisons against the MXM4's. For example, TireRack's comparison has the Serenity Plus against the Michelin Premier A/S and the MXM4 against the older Serenity's. The older Serenity's are not LRR and the new Plus should be both quieter and is rated as LRR for better efficiency.

I don't really drive my Model S in bad weather, so I am potentially up for putting on ultra high performance all season tires. The question I have is if I go with something like the Continental ExtremeContact DSW 06 or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, just how much louder is a tire like that over the MXM4's?

Thanks much for any insights people can provide.
you must drive real hard, have terrible roads or don't monitor your TP, I have 22k miles on my original OEM michelins and they're probably good for another 10k miles, I would suggest another set of the same, because the high performance tires will more than likely give you worse wear.

Reactions: byan1232
Well, the Tesla Service Advisor I talked to about tire wear seems to indicate that they see a lot of MXM4's wear out at around 20k. Probably roads and driving style are the big determining factors.

I did read all of the "Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS tires yet? 70k warranty!" thread and I'm not a fan of losing that much dry traction. Apparently no mention of the Bridgestones in that thread. According to TireRack's test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=188

The ride and noise comfort of the Serenity Plus's rivals the Cinturato P7's, but slightly worse on the dry test track, but much better on the wet test track. Stopping distance on try is the best of the 4, but cornering is the worst of the 4 in that test. So apparently the Serenity Plus's are not the best at taking turns, but better at dry stopping distance. Sigh, I can't decide. I'm still wondering about comparing across categories - the Serenity Plus versus the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Just how much noise comfort and efficiency does one give up for the grip... and the Pilot Sport A/S's are slightly cheaper.

I run Kumho Ecsta 4X on my Subaru and like them, and have heard good things about their summer-only tires as well (mainly for more track-oriented drivers). Might be worth checking out their Solus line too.

If I was replacing today I honestly don't know what I'd get. Are Michelins really twice as good as Kumhos for twice the price? Hard to say.

What I don't like about the Serenity Plus's is TireRack's 0.81g cornering result. As a result, I'm looking at the DWS 06's, the P Zero All Season's, and the Pilot Sport A/S 3's which obviously give up efficiency and noise/ride comfort for grip. The problem is determining just how much of a trade-off that is to see if it is worth it. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 has the same wear rating as the MXM4's (UTQG of 500) and is slightly cheaper. The P Zero All Season Plus's and the DWS 06's are substantially cheaper.

It seems that the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus's have the best ride comfort and noise of the ultra high performance all seasons in this test:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=201

Compared to the MXM4's, it has substantially better cornering g-force, lower stopping distance, but gives up about 3% in efficiency.

Does anyone have experience with the P Zero All Season Plus's on 19"s?

FYI I would definitely not rely completely on all of Tire Rack's reviews and ratings. The data is very messy.

What do you want your tire to do? If you want comfy and silent, you can't have the best performance. And if you want the absolute best performance, you need summer tires that you swap out in the winter.

I almost died because of defective Michelin tires on my 1996 Honda Prelude that hydroplaned with full tread at 60mph, so I tend to stay away when I can, but that was a long time ago.

FWIW, I just passed 10k miles on my 19" OEM michelins, and I am at 6/32s all the way around. The service advisor told me that most people seem to need replacement of their OEMs around 20-25k miles, and that's here in sunny SoCal. Is there a consensus on the quietest tire? I don't plan to take my S to the track any time soon...

FWIW, I just passed 10k miles on my 19" OEM michelins, and I am at 6/32s all the way around. The service advisor told me that most people seem to need replacement of their OEMs around 20-25k miles, and that's here in sunny SoCal. Is there a consensus on the quietest tire? I don't plan to take my S to the track any time soon...
I have 40K on my 19" Michelins and they will need replacement when the WR-g3 come off next spring.

Tire quietness depends on the interaction between the road surface and the tire, so you need the consensus where you live. Tires with sound deadening foam help a lot. I don't know that there are any 19" tires quieter than the Michelins.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
What I don't like about the Serenity Plus's is TireRack's 0.81g cornering result. As a result, I'm looking at the DWS 06's, the P Zero All Season's, and the Pilot Sport A/S 3's which obviously give up efficiency and noise/ride comfort for grip. The problem is determining just how much of a trade-off that is to see if it is worth it. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 has the same wear rating as the MXM4's (UTQG of 500) and is slightly cheaper. The P Zero All Season Plus's and the DWS 06's are substantially cheaper.

It seems that the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus's have the best ride comfort and noise of the ultra high performance all seasons in this test:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=201

Compared to the MXM4's, it has substantially better cornering g-force, lower stopping distance, but gives up about 3% in efficiency.

Does anyone have experience with the P Zero All Season Plus's on 19"s?

FYI Costco sells and installs Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's cheaper than Tire Rack if you decide you want those.

My CPO came with Goodyear Eagles too. Thought I would have michelins installed but this is what i got. The ride has been just fine
despite the reviews. The service department said that replacement cost was 179 a tire versus 400 for the michelins. So will see how far they take me but like I said not knowing anything else, Im good.

In the end, I went with DWS 06's since the the performance of the DWS 06's was really close to the Sport A/S 3's in objective measurements, with the Michelins having better dry grip and the Conti's having slightly better noise and ride comfort as well as saving about $110. The UTCG rating is slightly higher on the Conti's also, but using UTCG between manufacturers is likely unreliable.

I haven't driven on them much, but the tire noise is probably slightly higher than my worn MXM4's, but rides slightly smoother. Actually, without back to back comparisons, most people probably can't tell the difference in noise.

My CPO came with Goodyear Eagles too. Thought I would have michelins installed but this is what i got. The ride has been just fine
despite the reviews. The service department said that replacement cost was 179 a tire versus 400 for the michelins. So will see how far they take me but like I said not knowing anything else, Im good.

Huh?? You can get the OEM Goodyears at Tire Rack or America's Tire for about $110/tire. When my 1st set of Goodyears on my May 2013 S85 wore out at 25k miles, I just replaced them--could not argue about the price.

Huh?? You can get the OEM Goodyears at Tire Rack or America's Tire for about $110/tire. When my 1st set of Goodyears on my May 2013 S85 wore out at 25k miles, I just replaced them--could not argue about the price.

I havent looked at pricing yet since mine came with the Goodyears. But thats just what the service guy told me. Americas tire is where I usually get my tires so they are on my list for future replacements.

I havent looked at pricing yet since mine came with the Goodyears. But thats just what the service guy told me. Americas tire is where I usually get my tires so they are on my list for future replacements.

how long did it take for you to get delivery on your cpo? how was the condition in and out?

been waiting for my p85+ for 2 weeks and still nothing. I'm being told parts are on backorder in Texas. I was also told the car will arrive in almost new condition. is that true?

I cant get the guy to send photos of the car either. he keeps saying he will and I haven't seen them. I trust the rep because I called the tesla number and connecting me to him. I know he's not a thief and just in case I record all my calls anyway as backup.

I want to provide an update after about 500-700 miles.

I did end up buying Continental DWS 06 19" tires for my P85. I had the Michelin MXM4's. I bought them over the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's since I wanted slightly better wet traction, was worried about noise, and these were over $100 cheaper for the set of 4 at the best prices I could snag. I paid just over $1,000 for the set of 4, including road hazard warranty and on the road with all fees and the like. They've been quite good, slightly louder than the MXM4 and probably slightly less efficiency. Unfortunately, it's been quite cold in comparison to last month so it's very hard attribute the changes to the tires.

As far as driving dynamics, this tire is far more eager to change direction as compared to the MXM4's. Each steering setting has shifted to the left a half step. So "Standard" steering now feels like between "Comfort" and "Standard" and now "Sport" feels like between "Comfort" and "Standard" so there isn't the same weight in the steering feel with "Sport." Not really a significant issue for me, but definitely noticeable. It goes over bumps a bit quieter, but conversely large ripples in the pavement cause it to behave worse. It feels like the sidewalls are stiffer but yet, the noise from running over a bump is less. Definitely it has substantially better dry grip.

I've been driving meekly lately so I haven't really wrung these tires out, but I'm very satisfied thus far.

Bumping because now I'm shopping for replacements for my Model S with 19 inch wheels. I was honestly floored that my service center quoted 19" Michelin MXM4 (OEMs) at well over $300 per tire. Those Michelins simply are not worth that much for what you get, and are in fact cheaper direct from Tire Rack at retail prices if you really want them.

Honestly I'm tempted to get some Pilot Sport A/S-3's which are vastly superior to the MXM4's, but I'm probably getting Kumho Ecsta 4X II's because I don't think the wife wants summer-only tires on our Model S and they are literally *half* the cost for identical if not superior performance to the MXM4's. I just put a new set of the Kumho's on our Subaru Forester and they seem like they are performing even better than the original Ecsta 4X's did when new.