Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-cut tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone self-installed a pre-cut tint? I found this one that looks interesting.

Precut Ceramic All Window Tint Kit | Tesla Tesla S 2012-2015

IMHO, DIY projects are fun and it's great you'd like to do it. But certain projects, like window tinting, should be left to the pros. A soap solution, "slip", need to be used when applying the tint. Your tesla has a lot of electronics and for starters, getting water in the wrong opening, can be disastrous for you. And try to explain that to the service center.

On a more logistic point, trying to tuck the film under the rubber gaskets, aligning the material correctly, not getting dirt particles, cleaning the glass properly to assure tint doesn't bubble or peel, etc. So many variables to consider if you want it to look professional.

But, some people are handier than others, so I don't know what you skills are.

I'm also not sure what film the site is using. They say "ceramic"...but that's a pretty open-ended description as to the "quality" of the film. You'll want to find out what brand and exact film they're using.

For that price, I can assure you, it's not the quality of film you've been reading about on this forum.

IMHO, DIY projects are fun and it's great you'd like to do it. But certain projects, like window tinting, should be left to the pros. A soap solution, "slip", need to be used when applying the tint. Your tesla has a lot of electronics and for starters, getting water in the wrong opening, can be disastrous for you. And try to explain that to the service center.

On a more logistic point, trying to tuck the film under the rubber gaskets, aligning the material correctly, not getting dirt particles, cleaning the glass properly to assure tint doesn't bubble or peel, etc. So many variables to consider if you want it to look professional.

But, some people are handier than others, so I don't know what you skills are.

I'm also not sure what film the site is using. They say "ceramic"...but that's a pretty open-ended description as to the "quality" of the film. You'll want to find out what brand and exact film they're using.

For that price, I can assure you, it's not the quality of film you've been reading about on this forum.

Got my windows done today with ceramic - even the windshield. Watched them and noticed how much work goes into it beyond the cutting. Very impressive. Glad I didn't try it myself. Would not have turned out well.

That's pretty cool. I see this as a perfect do-it-yourself project for the non professional as there is virtually nothing that can go wrong and if it doesn't look good just take if off. I did a clear wrap on my Dodge Viper and while it was not perfect if came our quite good though all its curves were challenging. Not like you are rebuilding an engine. I think this would be a lot easier.
Then again my 1/2 car wrap with Xpel and window tint was about 945$ professionally done so you you don't save a lot of money doing it yourself.

LMFAO, I did an Autozone #11 hobby blade cutout tint on my Isuzu hatch eons ago, when I was a poor new immigrant.
It looked like xxxx when I finished, so bad I almost removed it,but surprisingly the bubbles
mostly went away after a few weeks.