Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.5 air conditioning and Texas heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

7racer

Jun 13, 2011
Sorry for the simple question.

Searching thru older posts I realize that the AC is pretty anemic. I also read that it was improved.

I was wondering if the newer 2.5 fixed the problem or if it is still pretty anemic. I also commute about 120 mile round trip to one of our satellite offices. With the AC on full, how much does it decrease the range?

Thanks for any insights as I prepare for my custom to get done!

In the Florida heat, I find that driving with the rag-top in the trunk keeps me pretty cool.:cool:

However, on those reeeaally hot days the A/C works pretty well. I noticed at first that it was taking some time to get the cockpit cool but I simply switched the air to circulate inside the car only, that makes it work just fine plus there's enough air leaking in to avoid suffocation. Tip: it also works much better if you can park in the shade whenever possible, so the cockpit is not too hot when you get in. Now the summer months are here I automatically park in my garage even if it's for a short stop.

The 2.5's a/c works great when it's not being used to cool the battery pack. From time to time (I find usually after I've parked it for a short time after driving hard for a while) the a/c becomes quite anemic and barely does anything, at which point I usually just open the windows and turn the fan up all the way.

Minimal impact on range. The other "trick" is when you notice the car is cooling that battery pack instead of the cabin (you can tell by the compressor getting louder and the AMPS jump up to about 10-12) put it in Performance mode. This mode lets the battery pack get hotter and let's the AC spend more time cooling the cabin.

Another old tip; before you head out on a trip, charge in Range mode for half an hour; even on 120V at 12A... actually, the lower the better.

You won't be stressing the battery as you'll not actually be leaving it long enough to actually charge much but the first thing that range mode does is cool the pack down. A cool pack at the start means less chance of the HVAC being diverted.

Also, check that you have the latest front fan upgrade; the one that includes a cowl around the radiator and fan to ensure that all of the radiator is covered and used. On a 2.5 you should have.

yea I read about the fan issue and charging in Range mode. The range mode trick doesn't register with me yet as I don't fully understand the different charging options yet. Figure I have another 2-3 months to figure it out.

Many thanks again.

Searching thru older posts I realize that the AC is pretty anemic. I also read that it was improved.

I was wondering if the newer 2.5 fixed the problem or if it is still pretty anemic.

Not sure if you are referencing my post (re: anemic), but the A/C does work, but you need to do everything to maximize it's effect. All texans know enough to park in the shade. Some cars cool right down, this one needs all the help it can get. You'll need the top up and the windows sealed (see the thread about the wind leaks) - or use the hard top if you got one. I realize that I am repeating what NigelM wrote, but I thought you might want to hear it from a texan who understands your predicament.

I was wondering if the newer 2.5 fixed the problem or if it is still pretty anemic.

Not sure if you are referencing my post (re: anemic), but the A/C does work, but you need to do everything to maximize it's effect. All texans know enough to park in the shade. Some cars cool right down, this one needs all the help it can get. You'll need the top up and the windows sealed (see the thread about the wind leaks) - or use the hard top if you got one. I realize that I am repeating what NigelM wrote, but I thought you might want to hear it from a texan who understands your predicament.

I have placed a piece of double aluminized bubble wrap between the top and inner liner. I reflects the infrared heat from the black top and provides a little airspace insulation. One brand is Reflectix. It makes a huge difference. The roof always remains cool to the touch.

Hmmm that sounds like a nice fix. Was it easy to install then? Help with road noise or just heat?

I have placed a piece of double aluminized bubble wrap between the top and inner liner. I reflects the infrared heat from the black top and provides a little airspace insulation. One brand is Reflectix. It makes a huge difference. The roof always remains cool to the touch.

Thanks for the report!
I assume that you made this modification to the standard soft top, not the hard top. :confused:

Thanks for that tip! I thought my a/c died a couple of days ago - I was charging my car and in the afternoon, the sun moved to bake the car and the air temp was about 95F. The A/C would just not give me any cold air into the cabin and I thought I needed a freon recharge or I got a leak or something. The next day, the A/C was fine so I was puzzled what had happened. I guess charging in the hot sun is a bad idea since the fans can't keep up with the ambient heat and the charging heat!

Augie

Another old tip; before you head out on a trip, charge in Range mode for half an hour; even on 120V at 12A... actually, the lower the better.

You won't be stressing the battery as you'll not actually be leaving it long enough to actually charge much but the first thing that range mode does is cool the pack down. A cool pack at the start means less chance of the HVAC being diverted.

Also, check that you have the latest front fan upgrade; the one that includes a cowl around the radiator and fan to ensure that all of the radiator is covered and used. On a 2.5 you should have.

UPDATE:

After mentioning to Tesla Motors service my woes concerning the A/C, they've reviewed my logs. The TM advisor admitted that usually when owners complain about A/C issues, more times than not, it is simply the vehicle diverting cooling to the battery in a normal fashion. In my case, they've concluded that my car was giving constant priority to the battery. I failed to mention it for as long as I did, because I knew of the A/C's "reputation" for being weak. Bottom line: 1) I'm not a complainer, it really was hot!, (2) the car is broken, (3) TM was very responsive and it will be fixed. I will report back on the service and the function of the A/C after the repair.

P.S. I did the bubble wrap fix above, and I was about to have my windows tinted. I was getting desperate!