Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In light of Model X options, did the shareholder "Vegan Uprising" succeed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
While browsing YouTube for elusive new Model X videos, I got this "recommended" video, hilariously titled: "Elon Musk faces the Vegan Uprising at Tesla shareholder meeting (6.9.15)":

I believe that the 2 shareholder proposals were ultimately voted down, but I wonder if the proposals actually succeeded in part.

Model X has a "Ultra White" upgraded upholstery interior option, which is synthetic leather. The "Premium Interior package" (which includes the coveted bio-weapon air filter) only adds leather surfacing upgrades if an actual leather seating option is chosen (the tan or black leather). Opting for Ultra White keeps the entire car Vegan, even if the Premium Interior option is selected. This consistency is evidence that someone in product planning was paying attention.

It might be coincidence. Or perhaps Leilani Munter had some input, since she did convince Tesla to allow for a vegan Model S P85 option.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
PETA approves.

PETA has congratulated electric car maker Tesla for offering "all vegan" interiors for its Model X SUV. The animal rights group, which is a Tesla shareholder, says it asked the company's CEO Elon Musk about the possibility of using synthetic leather last year, and has since "been working with Tesla" on the project. The option for artificial leather interiors, which includes the seats, steering wheel, and gear shift, is labelled as "Ultra White" on Tesla's website.

PETA congratulates Tesla for offering 'all-vegan' Model X

An all-vegan option has been available for the Model S since 2013, upon request. (Thanks to Leilani, who insisted upon it for her car - Tesla made it available after that.)

Just an fyi, since people seem to think this is something new. I suspect, though, that PETA's efforts has made it *almost* a selectable option when configuring. You still need to request 'all vegan' with Tesla, or you'll get a leather steering wheel, etc.

It's not clear that selecting 'ultra white seats' results in a vegan selection for seating. Nothing in the Design Studio about synthetic leather. Nor is there anything anywhere about how to get an all-vegan car.

Wasn't it a problem though with the next gen seats, only leather is available in the S, white synthetic is only for the X. Are the X's seats next gen or unique to the X?

They should use the words "White Synthetic Leather Seats" in the design studio, I don't know why they aren't.

I thought the vegan rebellion wanted Tesla to stop using leather?

Not offer Tesla leather accessories like gloves,hand bags, and iPhone cases in addition to leather vehicle interiors?

Correct, they wanted Tesla to fully abandon using leather at all and only offer synthetic and cloth interiors. Based on the number of people who still order leather I would say the vegans (the ones specifically at the shareholder meeting, not all vegans) have failed.