Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for 3 day road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From February 27 till the 6 March I’ll be in California. I’ll get a Model S from Tesla to do a small road trip.
Can you give me some tips on where to go and what to see those days?

I love wine so I want to go to Napa valley but don't have exact plans over there.

Would love to have tips about nice places to visit and sleep and nice roads to drive.

Best regards,

Erik from The Netherlands

Erik, how did you arrange to "get a Model S from Tesla"?
Where will you be located when you get your S?
I recommend Hwy 1 south of Monterey.
If you like wine then of course the Napa Valley is a must. Just keep in mind that drinking and driving is not a good idea.

At an electric car event I've won a trip to the Tesla Factory including the 3 day tesla "rent".

I will pick up the Tesla in Burlingame a can drive maximum 500 miles.
Of course I won’t drive and drink so tasting will be done without drinking the wine :(
In the evening drinking and taking a cab is the best combo ;)

Yep, Erik, 500 miles and three days are pretty restrictive for a state as large and varied as California. I am biased about where I live (inland!) Late February to early March is prime bloom time for all our stonefruit orchards in the Central Valley. When the trees are in full bloom, (in my opinion) they are a sight to behold with their delicate white to pink petals marked against the stark contrast of the dark twigs and branches of the trees. Not sure if you have this sort of experience in your country.

In addition, if we get snow "in the higher elevations," the Sierra Nevada in winter are truly majestic. You can take the freeway (Interstate 80) in one direction, and take secondary highways in the other direction to drive at a more leisurely pace and see lots more. Just be sure to check road conditions and know how to drive on snow and ice, if the weather is dicey.

Congratulations on your prize, and you will not be disappointed with any decision you make. They are all winners!

Granted, this would be pushing it from a mileage perspective (and maybe even content-wise too), but going from Fremont to the Pebble Beach area, then down Highway 1 to San Simeon/San Luis Obispo (which would take you through Big Sur), and then back up 101 to Fremont would be ~400 miles. The views along Highway 1 are great between Pebble Beach and San Simeon, San Simeon has Hearst Castle to check out (if that's something you're into), and then both San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles have some pretty good wineries to check out as well. That route is supported by Superchargers, and you'd probably only have to stop at the Seaside one and Atascadero (maybe Gilroy too).

Trip has been planed.
I'll drive Highway 1 down to Big Sur on the first day.
If it's nice weather the second day i'll go to visit the McWay Waterfall Trail and drive back to Montery and sleep there.
The third day i'll go to the Tesla factory and go back to SF and take Lombard street and then back to Burlingame.

Thanks for the info!

What days of the week are you going to be in Big Sur? I just drove through there on a Saturday evening and the return traffic to Monterey/Carmel was backed up for miles. Since most of Big Sur traffic seems to be day trips, my friend who lives on 1 just south of Carmel confirmed the weekend evening traffic backup is a regular thing. if you can time it to drive back to Monterey early in the day or on a weekday evening you will have a lot more fun.