Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance test - who in LA is available for a sprint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Roadster Sport was not driven much for a year or so, and now seems slower to me. I'd like to test it against another Roadster Sport to see if it's just that I'm comparing it against the P85D or if it really is slower now. (I asked the shops around here and they don't seem to have a Sport.) I live in Los Angeles. Is anybody up for a sprint test?

My Roadster Sport was not driven much for a year or so, and now seems slower to me. I'd like to test it against another Roadster Sport to see if it's just that I'm comparing it against the P85D or if it really is slower now. (I asked the shops around here and they don't seem to have a Sport.) I live in Los Angeles. Is anybody up for a sprint test?

You should try a telemetry test on it. Plug a USB dongle into it and download the log. See what the power output levels are.

Not expensive at all just perform a range charge and let the car sit for a day.
Don't do that! Letting the car sit a high charge is one of the worst things you can do for the battery.

Do a range charge, drive the car down to below 10% in a single trip (single turn of the key), and then charge it back up with a standard charge. Then let it sit.

Reactions: newtman
Don't do that! Letting the car sit a high charge is one of the worst things you can do for the battery.

Do a range charge, drive the car down to below 10% in a single trip (single turn of the key), and then charge it back up with a standard charge. Then let it sit.
Not sure I agree. The ONLY time the pack balances is when the pack is above 80 or 82% and a standard charge only takes you to 83%. So a standard charge only allows a very small amount of balancing. This is perfect if your pack is in balance but if badly out of balance it won't get you there. I would also say do not do this when hot or in the sun as heat and high state of charge are bad. But range is to be used on occasion.

Just thinking (typing) out loud... To avoid having the car sit at 90+ % SOC for a long time, but needing to be above 82%, could you start a Range Mode charge to bring the battery to 85%-ish, and then switch to Standard mode, leaving the car plugged in? The charging would stop, but you'd still have the higher SOC and a source of electrons (plug) if that's needed.

Just plug it in every night in standard mode and don't concern yourself about it. It will balance itself and stay balanced. Even using 110 volts as long as it completes the charge cycle overnight.
This is exactly the advice / recommendation from tesla .. specifically one of the most senior tech guys in UK (now regional manager) ... he even recommends this over storage mode for, long periods - which is controversial !! However he also has 'put his money where his mouth is', as he owns one of THE most coveted 2.0 cars ... No. 4 with 300 miles from new !! AND charges to approx 186 miles in standard mode: a perfect roadster !!
IMG_20160507_173505.jpg

Reactions: dpeilow
Just this morning I pulled out of the drive, hit the go pedal and voomph! - Warm battery (29℃), full standard mode charge and it's away - full 200kW+, needle slaps against the end stop, happy days.

I've noticed that, when it's colder or as it was earlier this week, when the battery was at about 40%, the power gauge only goes to about 190kW and the car feels far less impressive. In winter, with cold batteries, I can sometimes see as low as 150-180kW on the gauge.

For me I can accelerate and, sure enough, if it feels not so impressive, a check of the power gauge confirms that the car isn't performing at maximum ability but, thankfully, when it's charged and warm, it still does, after nearly seven years!

Just plug it in every night in standard mode and don't concern yourself about it. It will balance itself and stay balanced. Even using 110 volts as long as it completes the charge cycle overnight.

I think the forecast high in Phoenix this Saturday is 116 F. Would your recommendation hold in such conditions? When it's that hot, I typically try to keep the SOC around 60-70%.

Just this morning I pulled out of the drive, hit the go pedal and voomph! - Warm battery (29℃), full standard mode charge and it's away - full 200kW+, needle slaps against the end stop, happy days.

I've noticed that, when it's colder or as it was earlier this week, when the battery was at about 40%, the power gauge only goes to about 190kW and the car feels far less impressive. In winter, with cold batteries, I can sometimes see as low as 150-180kW on the gauge.

For me I can accelerate and, sure enough, if it feels not so impressive, a check of the power gauge confirms that the car isn't performing at maximum ability but, thankfully, when it's charged and warm, it still does, after nearly seven years!

Do a performance charge and drive it right away if you really want to be impressed. It only lasts for a short while, but it sure is fun while it does.

I think the forecast high in Phoenix this Saturday is 116 F. Would your recommendation hold in such conditions? When it's that hot, I typically try to keep the SOC around 60-70%.

I'm not sure if there is much difference between 70% SOC and the 84% from a standard charge, other than it won't be balancing under 79%. There is more strain on the battery under load when at a low SOC, and more strain when sitting at a higher SOC. So its a trade off. I would range charge it with 220V at 12amps for about 15 minutes before you use it to cool the battery down-that should take at least 20 degrees out of it.

Reactions: hcsharp
I have yet to try a performance charge... I know, seriously...

The first time I did it it was by accident. I plugged it in and went in the house without realizing it was in performance mode. Hours later I saw the range was over 200 miles and freaked. Everybody says not to leave it fully charged for very long, so I took it out for a spin. Best 15 minutes I've had in the car by far. Thankfully it was midnight with nobody around.

Reactions: mpt
This is exactly the advice / recommendation from tesla .. specifically one of the most senior tech guys in UK (now regional manager) ... he even recommends this over storage mode for, long periods - which is controversial !! However he also has 'put his money where his mouth is', as he owns one of THE most coveted 2.0 cars ... No. 4 with 300 miles from new !! AND charges to approx 186 miles in standard mode: a perfect roadster !!
I wouldn't put much, if any, faith in that standard charge number. With only 300 miles, there's now way the car has any idea how healthy the cells actually are.

I wouldn't put much, if any, faith in that standard charge number. With only 300 miles, there's now way the car has any idea how healthy the cells actually are.
I agree, but couldn't get the CAC. I am on the fence on this approach to battery health - However, the owner does probably have even more collective roadster tech knowledge than ALL us 'armchair', forum dwellers put together :) .. I mean, he has rebuilt many battery packs, 1.5 thro 2.5, has full access to all Tesla tech info, software, historic knowledge base and has an encyclopedia knowledge of a huge number of European Roadsters - down to their VIN numbers, and their remote log records.
Those in UK will know this guy - and know he is very straightforward and doesn't BS.

Leaving the car fully charged for a few days every now and again will help with the balancing and therefore give a better headline range number, but everything I know about batteries says this is a false gain in the long term compared to keeping the cells near 50% DOD.