Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had an update on my P85D. Surprisingly, got this new feature: Launch Mode!

I'm on winter tires so I won't test it but it's definitely intriguing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449877205.774519.jpg

Maybe this is what MT used? Sounds like TM could get some extra power extra fast to the rubber with this procedure. Maybe the BMS is kicked up to cool the batteries or maybe it just further reduces the reaction human delay to full pedal press.

I wonder how much force you need on the brake to keep it from launching? Without using this feature first, but from experience I'd rather push my foot down to go rather than lift a brake foot up. But who knows, it may work great. Can't wait to read reviews/see videos!

I just got my car back from the service center this afternoon, and they've upgraded it to 2.9.40.

I've tried to enable Launch Mode but have had no luck - see the detailed video I took below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably requires a P90DL, and someone goofed on the release notes to display in cars that don't support it... wouldn't be the first time Tesla screwed up release notes to the wrong configs like that.

I just got my car back from the service center this afternoon, and they've upgraded it to 2.9.40.

I've tried to enable Launch Mode but have had no luck - see the detailed video I took below:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really curious on what this "Launch Mode" really enables. Technically I mean. We don't even know if it changes the 0-60 time but it could very well be that they might have toned down the acceleration without the Launch Mode, making it the way it was before with the Launch Mode, enabling a smoother day to day driving experience. Or they might have another form of traction control that wouldn't be comfortable to use all the time, saving it only for Launch Mode, enabling a faster 0-60 time. However my gut feeling tells me if it was the latter, they would have gone bigger about this. At least Elon would tweet something about it and brag how they just did an OTA performance update. We're gonna have to wait and see what the owners will report. Just my .02$