Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color Preferences - Model S

What color Model S would you like the most?

• Black

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • White

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • Silver/Grey

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Electric Blue

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Glacier Blue

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Lightning Green

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Lipstick Red

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Candy Red

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Very Orange

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 13.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think my wife and I are going to have to see some in the flesh first. We're leaning towards Thunder Grey or White but want to see a few first. Hopefully we'll be able to see some betas and Signatures before we have to finalize our options.

I went with "orange" here to indicate that I want some wild and original colors for the Model S. I may still end up opting for the old stand-by, black, once I see the real world color choices. But a wild color--maybe even an orange--could be tempting to me.

Back about 30 years ago, Chrysler had its new K car at the St. Louis auto show, in a gorgeous deep metallic purple. Call it "wine", or "Cabernet" or whatever you choose, but everyone that saw it thought it beautiful.

That aside, I was driving about 1100 miles this last weekend and noticed that nearly every car is black, grey / silver, or white. None of those are "colors". Once in a while a dark blue or a red. I think most people are color blind or insensitive! (Don't take this personal) Black is HOT, and gets dusty easily, but I have seen some really light metallic blues (glacier) that look good, too. And although dark, a dark gunmetal blue-gray would also look classy.

I have heard several times that the Sig Series will have colors not available to the Production cars. I won't be able to make up my mind until I see the choices.

That aside, I was driving about 1100 miles this last weekend and noticed that nearly every car is black, grey / silver, or white.

Yeah. I hate grey. Had a car that color years ago and I'm never gonna do it again. Yet it's by far the most popular color - bland cars are everywhere.

My current gas car is an Infiniti G37. Wanted the red color, but they discontinued it just before I bought. What was left was black, blue-but-actually-almost-black, white, almost-white, silver, and their brand-new "really cool color"... which when I saw it reminded me of black anodizing that had faded from UV exposure. Except metallic.

I ended up with black... it was the only color they had that my wife and I found remotely palatable. Despite the fact that the dealer offers free car washes every Saturday, it rarely gets all the way home without getting dirty again. I'm sure if you added up the total amount of time the car looked clean you'd come up short of a week. Black really isn't that practical.

The balloon that was evidently floated in Toronto was for the Signature to only be available in Black, White, Silver and Red.

The Leaf is only being offered in a very limited color palette right now. Black, White, Silver, Red and Blue. (Many wished for green...)
I didn't really like any of them, but decided to do the black since it seemed to go better with all the chrome bits they put on the car.

They changed the paint a bit between prototype (when you lock in your order) and delivery, and I think the red was "most improved".
Some customers were disappointed with what Nissan did to the blue between prototype and production.

My point in mentioning all this Leaf related stuff here is that what gets offered and even shown at first may not exactly represent what finally gets delivered.

Also the Leaf prototype wheels had a shiny texture, but the production version was more dull. As we saw with the Roadster wheels, they evolved over time, so it is probably a good idea to get used to having things change.

Last edited:
I would prefer a rich solid color such as a burgundy or deep green that can be buffed, and not have to worry about a clear coated metalic.

Has there been any additional informaiton about the colors being a powder coat which is really a hard surface that would not allow normal waxing or polishing?

Why would powder coating preclude normal waxing? I've had some motorcycle parts powder coated in the past and I polished them like any other painted part.

My impression was that powder coating is harder than normal paint, and somtimes depending on mix, changes color and or texture from the surface to depth. I may be wrong with the coating that Tesla is planning, but that is my experience with the powder coating I have done. I was hoping that someone has more informaiton about the coatings or paint that Tesla intends to use.

The balloon that was evidently floated in Toronto was for the Signature to only be available in Black, White, Silver and Red.

Yuck. This is NOT OK with me. I will not buy red under any circumstances (it's an invitation to get pulled over by the cops, and raises insurance rates); I will not buy black (it boils the interior in the summer); and I will not buy silver/grey (it's the color of the road, and people tend to run into you).

That leaves white. I would like another option.

Ideally, I'd like a dark purple, but I'd be fine with any purple, a dark blue, a light blue, a medium blue, a bluish green, yellow, gold, orange, etc. Surely we can at least get a blue option.

Curious to see what colors those interested in a Model S would choose.... I tried to create a spectrum that also reflects what Roadster owners seem to like...

If your color isn't in the poll, post it below instead.

Which of the two reds is the 'prototype' red? Lipstick or Candy? I'll have that one. Failing that, a cobalt blue.