Thread: Digital Energy Monitor for Home Charging Station?

Icon5 Digital Energy Monitor for Home Charging Station?

My Roadster delivery is still months away so I'm trying to kill time by getting the garage prepared.

I'm looking for a simple digital energy monitor to go with Tesla's High Power Wall Connector, so I can tell the exact amount of energy drawn by the car for each charge. It needs to handle at least 70A and should have a "reset" button to clear the counter.

Does anyone have recommendations for such a meter? Thanks!

I'm using this one: Energie meetapparaat 230V/32A - Wissel-, draaistroomteller - Conrad Electronic

That is able to handle up to 32A, not the 70A you are specifying. But the reason I'm bringing this one up, you could take a look at "Finder", they make some cool stuff, they might have what you are looking for.

Try the energy monitors used for Power Distribution Units in Data Centres. Some can send alarms when the current goes below a threshold, useful for an overnight charge failure.

Another way to do it is by adjusting shunt resistor sizes to change the scale on your meter, but I'll let your supplier explain.

The car itself will tell you that. Each time you turn it on after charging the VDS will display the amount of power and, if you enter your cost per kWh, the cost of the charge. Just make sure the door is closed or the stupid open door warning will cover the charging data. It also keeps an historical record of charge amounts that you can access as well.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Icon14

@widodh & dpeilow, thank you -- will look into those.

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    The car itself will tell you that...
    That's a nice feature and I wasn't aware of that. But I still want to get a monitor installed to keep track of total energy costs, especially useful when charging multiple EVs (a Model S may be? ).

I use this TED The Energy Detective to track my electricity usage of the whole house, the PV system and the biggest load ( the Tesla ).
    With the help from the TED I reduced my electricity waste enough to drive the car 30 miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    The car itself will tell you that. Each time you turn it on after charging the VDS will display the amount of power and, if you enter your cost per kWh, the cost of the charge....
    I may be wrong but I believe the people who put meters at the charge stations have different numbers than the car's readout.

Quote Originally Posted by foxium View Post
    My Roadster delivery is still months away so I'm trying to kill time by getting the garage prepared.

I'm looking for a simple digital energy monitor to go with Tesla's High Power Wall Connector, so I can tell the exact amount of energy drawn by the car for each charge. It needs to handle at least 70A and should have a "reset" button to clear the counter.

Does anyone have recommendations for such a meter? Thanks!
    I use one of these:

OmniMeter I

Expensive, but the company is good to deal with. Not sure about the reset button (you'll have to ask them, because there is such a contact on the top of the unit but I am not sure how/if it works).

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe the people who put meters at the charge stations have different numbers than the car's readout.
    Yep. I've been working with Tom and Tetsous on this. The Charging History screen is just plain wrong (at least in some circumstances) and I can't trust it. I'm gathering info at the moment to file a bug report with Tesla this week.

Thank you everyone! I am going to order the OmniMeter Mark suggested. It's even got a serial port for remote reading

Now that some time has passed, can you comment on how well the meter is working for you?
    I'm thinking about getting one for my Model S...

I think it's better to have a meter on the circuit rather than exclusively trust any in car data, because logically the car data wouldn't record heat loss in the circuit external to the car... (which is still energy you have to pay for of course!!)

Thread Information