Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in British Columbia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some quick searching and was unable to find an equivalent thread in this forum... and I wonder why? There seems to be regular activity in Alberta and Ontario, but nothing in BC. Strange, given the number of Model S cars I see driving around Vancouver... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one, I noticed last time I was down.

Now that Tesla Owners Clubs are getting started in a more formal way, and there has even been a domain registration that just begs for a BC group to be added, perhaps it is time to get something going in British Columbia?

Any thoughts??

I started a BC Owners Group here a long time ago, and it never really took off for some reason. But there were much fewer owners back then, and the group's posts don't show up with the "what's new" button. Also I think Robin tried to start something at BC Tesla Owners - Home and encouraged us owners to get involved. Perhaps it is time for a new try and this thread will spark some interest?

I started a BC Owners Group here a long time ago, and it never really took off for some reason. But there were much fewer owners back then, and the group's posts don't show up with the "what's new" button. Also I think Robin tried to start something at BC Tesla Owners - Home and encouraged us owners to get involved. Perhaps it is time for a new try and this thread will spark some interest?
Well, first of all, my bad on forgetting about the BC Group... I'm even a member!!! I mistakenly thought I'd be notified of updates somehow, automatically, by joining. But it appears I have to actually *subscribe* to the group as well... LOL, I would have thought that would be the default and that explains why I've seen nothing. I've now fixed that. However, there doesn't seem to have been much group activity anyway - which I don't understand.

I had never seen Robin's page until now. Based on the frequency of posts and their dates, it seems to see even less activity than the group here. However, I suspect that's simply because few of us knows it exists. Depending on what Robin wants to do with it, the site could be linked via bc.teslaownersclub.ca from the future main Canadian page. Heck, if her intent was to create a site that might now be duplicated by an 'official' club site, maybe she would want to have it become the official BC page and allow a local executive to help manage it. I suspect what we'd create would look much the same as what she's built.

I agree, hopefully we can spark some interest now that a nation-wide effort is underway.

It sounds like the group out east has the basic domain name (teslaownersclub.ca) and we can arrange for them to host bc.teslaownersclub.ca or direct a DNS entry to an IP of our choice if we want to host. However, unless/until we have a critical mass in BC to make this worthwhile, there is no point in building a site that gets no hits!

Is there really no interest in a provincial club?

Brock

I'm interested as well so make that 6.
Six is a start I suppose. Almost enough to give up the phone booth booking for meetings and upgrade to a booth at Denny's. I know, KNOW, there are plenty more people in BC that would likely be interested!

So far:

Beeeerock, Morristhecat, dsmeagle, Hugh Mannity, Canuck, dmd2005. I suspect Paul Carter would also become involved and there are a couple of guys here in Kamloops who I believe would also be interested.

ha ha just moved here from Calgary :wink:
Hmmmm.... I thought I associated your screen name with the Alberta bunch! Welcome to BC, but we will have to think of a suitable hazing for you before you can be given proper BC status!!! ;-)

Thanks man! If it's any consolation I've taken a "hazing" already. From a tanking housing market in Calgary to a wild market on the west coast it's a double burning. Oy vey! Maple Ridge area though seems reasonable price wise :wink:
I'd never be so cruel or sadistic as to suggest that sort of hazing... what you've gone through sounds more like Cosby-ing... no fair play involved. ;-)

Thanks man! If it's any consolation I've taken a "hazing" already. From a tanking housing market in Calgary to a wild market on the west coast it's a double burning. Oy vey! Maple Ridge area though seems reasonable price wise :wink:

Tell me about it. My business property assessment is up 7% and my home is up 10%. Not looking forward to property taxes this year and my triple hazing is that I didn't win the Powerball draw last night. Gonna turn in ky $8 lotto winnings for more tickets over in Sumas WA. Jackpot is $1.3 Billion to start for Wednesday...one can only dream.

I had never seen Robin's page until now. Based on the frequency of posts and their dates, it seems to see even less activity than the group here. However, I suspect that's simply because few of us knows it exists. Depending on what Robin wants to do with it, the site could be linked via bc.teslaownersclub.ca from the future main Canadian page. Heck, if her intent was to create a site that might now be duplicated by an 'official' club site, maybe she would want to have it become the official BC page and allow a local executive to help manage it. I suspect what we'd create would look much the same as what she's built.

Late to this thread, thx for the PM Brock notifying me.

Robin initially helped get the site set up, but turned it over to "owners" to run -- it's not a "Tesla Motors Vancouver" site. As with many volunteer thingys, it doesn't get a lot of attention. That's all on us, not Robin.

In mid-December the south Island had a small gathering (26) at Victoria's Uptown Mall for the seat belt check, with one technician from Tesla. He stayed overnight to handle the remaining few cars that couldn't attend the first day. That little party has turned into a "Vancouver Island Teslas" group with an actual distribution list and everything! We meet monthly for a coffee chat. At least, we've had one meeting so far this month and expect that to continue.

I can send a notification to the distribution list about this TMC thread and the possibility of forming a provincial group. Is there anything else specific that I should let them all know?

Late to this thread, thx for the PM Brock notifying me.

Robin initially helped get the site set up, but turned it over to "owners" to run -- it's not a "Tesla Motors Vancouver" site. As with many volunteer thingys, it doesn't get a lot of attention. That's all on us, not Robin.

In mid-December the south Island had a small gathering (26) at Victoria's Uptown Mall for the seat belt check, with one technician from Tesla. He stayed overnight to handle the remaining few cars that couldn't attend the first day. That little party has turned into a "Vancouver Island Teslas" group with an actual distribution list and everything! We meet monthly for a coffee chat. At least, we've had one meeting so far this month and expect that to continue.

I can send a notification to the distribution list about this TMC thread and the possibility of forming a provincial group. Is there anything else specific that I should let them all know?
Ah, the explanation of the site makes perfect sense!

Wow, 26 on the Island alone? That's a good number to start your group with IMHO. Yes, please let them know that there is the seed of an idea for BC and that Tesla seems to have some support for it. You may not have seen the threads that first discussed the initiative... this is one: Alberta Tesla Owners Club

In other words, it looks like something that can evolve into something bigger than what the limited interest shown in this thread would otherwise suggest! :wink:

I have no idea what the group structure would look like and I expect that we'd have to look to others to see how they are getting along, ahead of us. The website (domain name at least) is potentially available for us, and there could be a way to wrap the site Robin started into this somehow (no point in re-inventing the wheel). First thing is to get some names put down and see where it goes from there.