Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Connecticut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
whole foods darien.JPG
outlet.JPG
outlet upside down.JPG
cannot fit tesla standard cable.JPG
My children were excited when they saw that Whole Foods in Darien CT had parking spaces labelled "EV Charging Station", so I took one of them for a ride with my Roadster. We found the spots perfectly in front of the store, with high visibility for their "green marketting". Unfortunately the outlets were Nema 5-20 and installed upside-down in a very small waterproofing cover. The standard issue Tesla 5-15 plug could not fit in the box, so it was not a succesful public charging spot. I alerted the manager - lets see what they will do.

Last edited:
View attachment 2011View attachment 2010View attachment 2013View attachment 2012My children were excited when they saw that Whole Foods in Darien CT had parking spaces labelled "EV Charging Station", so I took one of them for a ride with my Roadster. We found the spots perfectly in front of the store, with high visibility for their "green marketting". ....

Nice.

Though we generally dissuade stores from giving prime spots to EV charge stations. They like it because of the visible green cred you mention and sometimes cheaper nearby installation costs. The problem is that is creates a lot of anger/jealously/disdain towards "privileged" EV drivers. Putting charge points off to the side or near an entrance also helps keep the spots from being "ICE'd" as well.

Unfortunately the outlets were Nema 5-20 and installed upside-down in a very small waterproofing cover. The standard issue Tesla 5-15 plug could not fit in the box, so it was not a succesful public charging spot. I alerted the manager - lets see what they will do.
I would probably blame the large GFCI plug that Tesla is using rather than the installation. The Tesla "spare connector" has the same issue with the Coulomb 120V charging stations. The 120V cable for most other vehicles won't have trouble with the small (i.e. standard) housing (nor the outlet being upside down).
page0-pic.jpe

I'd suggest just keeping a small extension with you. (Note also that the GFCI is redundant in this case.)

The problem is that is creates a lot of anger/jealously/disdain towards "privileged" EV drivers.
How much is "a lot"? Wondering if this is still as much of an issue as it's been made out to be. Just curious if there is any empirical data out there. I would think getting ICE'd is more out of confusion or apathy rather than anger/disdain.

My take is that a lot of the ICE in an EV spot parkers are the same people that double park, take two spaces, etc.
It is frequently a sense of "I can do whatever I want, so what's it to you?"

Last time I went to SJ airport I noticed a lot of regular cars in the spots clearly marked "Limousines only".

If the signs aren't strictly enforced, opportunists will ignore them.

How much is "a lot"? Wondering if this is still as much of an issue as it's been made out to be. Just curious if there is any empirical data out there. I would think getting ICE'd is more out of confusion or apathy rather than anger/disdain.

Those who have been driving EVs for the past 10 years tell a lot of stories. No data that I know of. More likely to find it on wheelchair infractions. I would say ICE'ing comes from confusion, apathy, ignorance and spite and are probably on equal par.

The idea of putting charge stations in a non prime spot is something that the larger EV community mostly agrees with so that they are willing to sacrifice the privilege as a whole must mean there must be a truth in there somewhere.

My point was to bring up discussion of EV charging possibilities in CT. California has gotten most of the attention in the Tesla discussion blogs. CT has one of the larger Tesla popultaions but very few public charging factilites. The new spending bill has funding for EV charging stations and there should be a good deal of build out coming up in the coming year. It would be nice to push for good charging options. The Whole Earth lot I mentioned was well intentioned, but with 110V power is kind of useless during a normal time spent shopping at their store. Although I suspect getting in 10 miles while shopping is not terribe.