Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 Roadster Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
As not to highjack the 2.5 and Sport tire thread.

With a 1.5 there is no "tire learning" mode so tire choices are limited as to diameter and other factors.

What are you trying and how is it working?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently tried Falken tires only on the rear. I needed rear tires real quick.
$341 for both installed.

The bad side:
They are more squirrely than the stock tires that I had been exclusively using to date.

The TC light does come on all the time on deceleration and basically there is no regen. Very interesting and I don't like it. If you release the accelerator at 55mph the regen kicks in when the car coasts down and hits 20mph.

By the way. One guy at a shop told me my "Lotus" was required to have run flat tires and would not install anything but those.

I have air settings at 30F 40R as Tesla recommends.

By the way. One guy at a shop told me my "Lotus" was required to have run flat tires and would not install anything but those.

I have air settings at 30F 40R as Tesla recommends.
1. Garbage, of course, on the first item.
2. Try reducing the delta between front/rear pressures. I am thinking 32-33 F and 35-36 R.

I agree... I don't think there is any difference between 2.0 and 2.5 in terms of tires.
I just don't know about 2.0 and 2.5 cars. I would imagine the issues related to tires are:
Adjustable suspension (1.5 it was was not offered but I would guess you can now get it installed.)
VDS firmware being able to "learn" new tires (not on a 1.5 screen)

slightly tire related.
mudflaps
new wheelwell material

Anything else? What applies to 2.0 cars?

At Charge It!s recommendation (thanks C.I) I adjusted the tires to 32F 36R [outside temp was 80] this morning. I drove 50 miles one way and notice little or no change. A bit less squirrley and maybe some regen but negligible.

On the way home 3 hours later [out temp was 90], I was in classic LA stop and go traffic. Regen was working below 20 mph but as I went along I noticed it was working above 30 and then above 40. By the time I got home regen seemed to be back! TC light comes on very little (still more than stock tires) so everything seems back to normal (ish). Am I grateful for LA traffic here?

I'm curious if it was the air adjustment or if it would have learned the Falkens in time. Thanks again to (C.I.)

E2A:
More on this saga below.

Last edited:
I'm curious if it was the air adjustment or if it would have learned the Falkens in time. Thanks again to (C.I.)
Once the 1.5 gets "unhappy" with T/C during deceleration (regen) on non-standard (i.e. non-recommended) tires, it seems to never really get completely back to normal ... unless .... IOW, the loss of regen (T/C blinking) happens for at least a few miles each time after startup ... unless you intervene. That's where I think the air adjustment helps. You could go another +/-1 psi in each F/R to reduce the delta another 2 psi. Eventually you'll find your tires' and Roadster's personal "happy" spot :smile:

(Welcome ...)

Edit: The "squirreliness" may be due to inside edge wear (cupping) F or R, but more likely F. Or could happen if you have different brands (or just different tread patterns) on F versus R.

Last edited:
Continuing saga. So the next morning at 7:00AM 16 mile drive everything was "broken" again. [outside temp was 60] The same no regen and TC light on all the time on deceleration. The next drive at 11:00 [temp at 80] 14 mile drive it did not get better. Another drive(s) at 3:00 [temp 90] 10 mile thenat 4:pM another 10 mile it never 'fixed' itself.

bummed.

E2A drive lengths above

Last edited:
Continuing saga. So the next morning at 7:00AM everything was "broken" again. [outside temp was 60] The same no regen and TC light on all the time on deceleration. The next drive at 11:00 [temp at 80] it did not get better. Another drive at 3:00 [temp 90] it never 'fixed' itself.

bummed.
How many miles did you drive in each case ? Did you check tire pressures at each start-up ? Have you tried the 33F/35R setting yet, or even 35 all around ? (Naturally these are cold pressures ... up to 75F at the tires; but all four should move reasonably in sync. (Exception: LR might get a degree or three warmer due to removal of heat from PEM/Motor.))

My theory: Yoko Advan Neova AD07 is a much softer compound. Lowering pressure on R (Falkens) makes up for it a little. Increasing pressure in F tires helps even-out the T/C's confusion of mismatched F/R speed sensors. None of this takes rpm (revs-per-mile) into account. I don't know how your Falkens compare to Yokos in that regard. You might want to post that data here.

How many miles did you drive in each case ? Did you check tire pressures at each start-up ? Have you tried the 33F/35R setting yet, or even 35 all around ? (Naturally these are cold pressures ... up to 75F at the tires; but all four should move reasonably in sync. (Exception: LR might get a degree or three warmer due to removal of heat from PEM/Motor.))

My theory: Yoko Advan Neova AD07 is a much softer compound. Lowering pressure on R (Falkens) makes up for it a little. Increasing pressure in F tires helps even-out the T/C's confusion of mismatched F/R speed sensors. None of this takes rpm (revs-per-mile) into account. I don't know how your Falkens compare to Yokos in that regard. You might want to post that data here.

I added to the above post. I did not check pressures before any drive (I will from now till it's worked out) I always try to check tires after they have rested -hopefully cold.

Have not tried any changes like 35FR yet. Will find and post tire data later.

Why would it fix itself and then be "unfixed"? Temp was all I could think of but second day at 90 temp it did not fix again. Was it the stop and go traffic?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Don't know the answer to that one. But the 1.5 never really learns (memorizes) the "fix" unless you help it along.

Yesterday the tire pressure was where i had left it. 32F 36R
I adjusted to 34F 36R and the day was in the mid to upper 80s. I drove about a 100 miles over the course of the day noon to 6PM with about 6 stops. On the trip home the car started to come back to working regen and less TC lights on deceleration never fully, but it was close.

So now it seem that after considerable driving the car figures out the tires and the next day forgets and has to relearn the tires every time. Not sure why the Tesla is so stupid nor have I figured out how to help it learn other than CI's tire pressure suggestion. This is just lame. How about a button on the VDS that once the car has learned these tires after a long day of driving you push the button and it "remembers" the settings the car came up with for the tires instead of forgetting them overnight?

Do people believe that the 2.0/2.5s do a good job learning new types of tires? I've only used the AD07s so far.

Does anyone know why the 1.5s can't learn like the 2.0/2.5s (supposedly) do? Does anyone know what Tesla says about the 1.5s not being able to learn?

Does anyone know if trouble dealing with different types of tires is a normal issue for other cars with TC? Is it mostly just due to TC+regen in the Roadster's case? I've had other cars with TC and had no TC issues, but I believe that I stuck with the original models of tires for them.