Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install speakers to trunk liftgate on standard system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also interested.

I took a bit of the lift-gate apart to install a rear camera. I did not see any wires in mine.

I really want to add the two (l/r) speakers in the dash and a sub to the standard sound as it is a little plain. Not motivated enough right now as my garage is very cold to work in.

Have anyone done it? I heard there could be wire already?

The connectors and wires are in fact there, but your audio amp up front won't have the proper outputs. You will need more than just speakers....

- - - Updated - - -

Also interested.

I took a bit of the lift-gate apart to install a rear camera. I did not see any wires in mine.

You have to remove the entire inside plastic trim piece that contains the speaker grilles. To remove this you need to remove the top plastic bar (top of liftgate window) and the left and right side pieces (...lots of blue clips). The large bottom piece is held by a lot of clips plus 2 Torx screws. You have to unsnap the recessed plastic hand holds on the lift gate and also pop out the power liftgate button first. And when you start to drop this large trim piece, watch out for some short wires. And if you enjoyed this, just wait until you try to reinstall this large unwieldy piece--it's a 2 person job for sure. YMMV.

Reactions: Durwood101
The connectors and wires are in fact there, but your audio amp up front won't have the proper outputs. You will need more than just speakers....

- - - Updated - - -

You have to remove the entire inside plastic trim piece that contains the speaker grilles. To remove this you need to remove the top plastic bar (top of liftgate window) and the left and right side pieces (...lots of blue clips). The large bottom piece is held by a lot of clips plus 2 Torx screws. You have to unsnap the recessed plastic hand holds on the lift gate and also pop out the power liftgate button first. And when you start to drop this large trim piece, watch out for some short wires. And if you enjoyed this, just wait until you try to reinstall this large unwieldy piece--it's a 2 person job for sure. YMMV.
I've already removed it because I had to swap the actuator, so the wires for the speakers are there but are they connected? Or do I need the additional amplifier?

I had already put an amp under the floor for a subwoofer. I ran speaker-level wires from the front door speakers to the right-rear quarter panel. I added a speaker-level to line-level adapter before the amp. From the amp I connected the subwoofer and two speakers in the liftgate.

I did not see any wires under the liftgate panel, but already intened to run my own. I picked up some 4-conductor 18-gauge wire from Home Depot and ran it up the C-pillar into the rubber wire loom connecting the car to the liftgate. I did remove the small top and right-side plastic trim and partially opened the large piece enought to get my hand in there. I was able to pop off the speaker cover and feed the wire up to there. I installed 3" speakers in the panel and was good to go.