Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Join Owners at Green Drive Expo. Madison,WI July 23 & 24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time again for another fun time up in Madison, WI with other green vehicle owners at Green Drive Expoand we'd like you to consider joining us! This is our sixth year!

Last year TMC members TEG, sancarnet, and Lancelac, showed up for the two-day event for what what probably the most Teslas in one place in Wisconsin along with plenty of other cars. Heck there were even electric motorcycles there, too.

Whether you are a dedicated EV motorhead, or simply considering your family's first hybrid, Green Drive Expo is the place to explore technology, fuel efficiency, cost savings and eco-conscious transportation.

Besides the public event, there are extra activities available for anyone who signs up as a VIP. Awards, dinners, etc. See the web site for details.

And in case you didn't see it last year, here's and article the local paper wrote about For a nice article about Carl just before he drove up to the event last year.

Hi everyone, just wanted to answer some questions I've been getting.

Yes, level 2 charging is available at the site.

The Teslas will be displayed indoors in climate controlled comfort.
The public hours 10am - 5pm Saturday, noon - 5 pm Sunday.

We would cover the cost of your VIP registration (food would be at your own expense.)

Keep the questions coming!
PM me, email me at [email protected], or call me at 608-729-4082.

Answering a few of the questions that have come up.

Yes, there will be charging available at the event.

The cars will be displayed indoors, so no worries about the weather.
10-5 Saturday, noon-5 on Sunday

Call, email or PM me if you have more questions. (608-729-4082, [email protected])

Steve, Carl and Sam were here last year. We'd be very interested in having you join us this year. There are so few Tesla's in Wisconsin. As you can imagine, they were a big hit last year and made the local news.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there. It looks like Stella and I could stay in Tomah and charge but we're trying to figure out what level it will be. They may have RV charging at a hotel there... we'll find out tomorrow. Otherwise, perhaps a campground for a few hours so we can make it. Minneapolis to Madison is 276 miles. The reason I canceled my trip to the Indy event was because I would have had to stay overnight too many times to recharge fully, but this event might work!

We went, and we charged using my clips at a golfing campground near Tomah, WI. I'm working on posting a blog for our trips including this one. On the way back from Tomah we were on the freeway for most of the way, and naturally my range began to suffer... so for the first time, I drafted. Pretty crazy, I have to admit... but I gained almost 24 miles with about an hour's worth of drafting and ended my trip with more than 40 miles to spare... the trip was 178 miles and we drove at least 15 miles off the route as a result of an unlabeled closed highway. 178+15+40=233... well above the chart prediction of 200 miles for 65mph! I wasn't even being careful at the end, as I zoomed around people and showed off for the last few miles in performance mode. This was the first time I saw my predicted range rise above my ideal range... by 3 miles! Drafting definitely works. I got lucky and found a very friendly trucker who even waved at me when we zoomed past him as he exited. When I got home I looked up some details on the physics of drafting and it appears that it helps both vehicles conserve power. Interesting! Most of my drafting was done at a distance of about 30 feet (but I'll have to bring my Hilti next time to make a laser measurement of the exact distance. Getting very close to the truck did not help. It increased a lot of vertical lift (I could feel subsonic rumbling in the soft top and my ears felt like we changed elevation) but I seemed to find a sweet spot a ways back. My Tesla ranger explained to me that I can monitor efficiency on the second screen with an adjustable time frame, so I'll try that next time too, and try to determine the sweetest spot. I also experimented with drafting behind a friend driving a Mercedes G-wagon and that didn't gain me anything, really. It seems only big rigs make a serious difference.