Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pushing out my delivery to get AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I order in Oct but asked for a 2016 VIN. Estimated delivery was late Jan/Early Feb.

I have a strong suspicion that AP 2.0 and other hardware changes are right around the corner - I've just asked my DS to push my delivery out further.

Painful as I want the car RIGHT NOW, but I'd hate to take delivery and then see an announcement a week later.

Anyone else doing the same?

Also, since I'm leasing, I've considered just taking delivery and then executing the Happiness Guarantee within 90 days - however I'm not sure how much it would cost. Has anyone done it or inquired? My DS hasn't replied back yet.

I highly doubt that AP 2.0 is near since they are just releasing Model X, which has the same autopilot hardware as Model S. Even if it was near and the hardware is on the car, it is obvious from Elon's tweets that they are no where close to actually having software to run it.

If you are just doing a 3 year lease, I would pull the trigger and enjoy the car now. If you are going to wait until a functioning AP 2.0 is out there, I bet that you will be waiting 2-4 years.

I highly doubt that AP 2.0 is near since they are just releasing Model X, which has the same autopilot hardware as Model S. Even if it was near and the hardware is on the car, it is obvious from Elon's tweets that they are no where close to actually having software to run it.

If you are just doing a 3 year lease, I would pull the trigger and enjoy the car now. If you are going to wait until a functioning AP 2.0 is out there, I bet that you will be waiting 2-4 years.
For the bolded part, since it appears stated as fact, how do you know this or is it an opinion or speculation?

Agree with you on the software - that I don't care about right now. I want the hardware capability.

I'm fairly certain that the Model X's that actually ship to non-Founder Series customers will have new AP hardware.

We do know that that Model X Autopilot sensors are at least one camera more than the Model S as the Model X has dual front cameras.

Not true if this isn´t outdated:

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 9.29.01 PM.png

Twitter

In the mules thread there was a reporting of one X with two cameras, but later ones
only had one, just as the S.

I order in Oct but asked for a 2016 VIN. Estimated delivery was late Jan/Early Feb.

I have a strong suspicion that AP 2.0 and other hardware changes are right around the corner - I've just asked my DS to push my delivery out further.

Painful as I want the car RIGHT NOW, but I'd hate to take delivery and then see an announcement a week later.

Anyone else doing the same?

Also, since I'm leasing, I've considered just taking delivery and then executing the Happiness Guarantee within 90 days - however I'm not sure how much it would cost. Has anyone done it or inquired? My DS hasn't replied back yet.
AP 2.0 as far as hardware changes for MS is a long ways off.

Elon Musk was asked this on Twitter and stated that they were the same. Google "Elon Musk tweet model x autopilot same as model s" and it is the first link (sorry for being lazy).

Good points - I hadn't seen those tweets.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe based on this I won't push my order out - what about the Happiness Guarantee - has anyone executed on it? Ideal on the costs?

That's a speculation.

We do know that that Model X Autopilot sensors are at least one camera more than the Model S as the Model X has dual front cameras. What else if may have, time will tell.

No, we don't know that either, again that's speculation based on the picture on the TM website. They may have ditched it last minute and what the founders had delivered (single camera) is what everyone will have.

I think 2 cameras are coming soon, and they'll likely update both cars, but we don't know when. And I wouldn't call a dual camera Model S AP 2.0. I'd call it AP1.1 or AP1.5. That's not a huge change. 360 degree camera would be great too.

Now if they added a rear and/or cross-collision radars, I'd call that AP 2.0.

AP 2.0 as far as hardware changes for MS is a long ways off.

Depends on your definition of "long", but I disagree. I think it's not too far out. As far as software to take advantage of it? I would guess year+ out. Semi-autonomous highway driving should be here within 3-5 years.

As a side note, I don't think there will be a lot of AP increments. We have AP1.0 now, maybe AP2.0 will be out maybe not. After that it's going to be SA1.0 (semi-autonomous).

Maybe based on this I won't push my order out - what about the Happiness Guarantee - has anyone executed on it? Ideal on the costs?
It was stated when they launched the happiness guarantee that using it would block you from getting another Tesla for some time. No problem if you truly aren't happy with a Tesla, but a bit of an issue if using it as a ploy to try to get something more than you originally bought.

- - - Updated - - -

We do know that that Model X Autopilot sensors are at least one camera more than the Model S as the Model X has dual front cameras. What else if may have, time will tell.
MX does not have dual cameras, some of the renderings on the website have them, but they don't show up in any photographs of actual vehicles.

It's only with the lease, and you can't turn around and get another Tesla for some period of time.

I'm leasing. And you can get another Tesla if it's an upgrade (although what happens if you have a P90DL? What can you upgrade to?)

Happiness Guarantee | Tesla Motors

On October 25th, 2014, Elon Musk announced significantly lower lease payments. Along with the lower payments, every vehicle lease comes with the Tesla’s Happiness Guarantee. If you don't like our car for any reason in the first 90 days, you can just return it and your remaining lease obligation is waived. While you cannot immediately lease another Tesla vehicle, you can upgrade to a higher optioned vehicle for a fee to cover the new vs used value difference. Contact us for more information.

It was stated when they launched the happiness guarantee that using it would block you from getting another Tesla for some time. No problem if you truly aren't happy with a Tesla, but a bit of an issue if using it as a ploy to try to get something more than you originally bought.

This isn't true:

On October 25th, 2014, Elon Musk announced significantly lower lease payments. Along with the lower payments, every vehicle lease comes with the Tesla’s Happiness Guarantee. If you don't like our car for any reason in the first 90 days, you can just return it and your remaining lease obligation is waived. While you cannot immediately lease another Tesla vehicle, you can upgrade to a higher optioned vehicle for a fee to cover the new vs used value difference. Contact us for more information.

I'm leasing. And you can get another Tesla if it's an upgrade (although what happens if you have a P90DL? What can you upgrade to?)

Happiness Guarantee | Tesla Motors

Tesla will bend you over backwards with that red statement. Have you seen their trade-in estimates?