Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Countdown: Pre-configured Roadsters Available Right Now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TeslaMotors.com website has an "Inventory" section which brings up a list of pre-configured Roadsters available for immediate purchase.

Dec 2, 2011: 5 cars available North America. Only 1 is not a demo!

However, I was told that the penultimate Roadster in North America, VIN 1463, is still available for sale. It's the special red with all carbon fiber options (inside and out) and ugly racing strips. It has a grey interior.

Tesla stores also have other Roadsters, but these generally are not for sale, but for the stores to have something to show until Model S's are available fulltime.

* - Indicates demo, with "special demo pricing available"

Boston: None
Chicago: None
Colorado: None
DC: VIN 1127*
Design Studio: Nne
Headquarters: None
Los Angeles: None
Menlo Park: VIN 1085*
New York: VIN 1038*
Newport Beach: None
Phoenix: None
Seattle: None
South Florida: None
TS- Santana Row: VIN 1429

Canada (Toronto) has 1 car, VIN 0988*

Rumor is that the demo model discount is $1/mile on the odometer. Note also that Tesla asks for a lot more $ for their used Roadsters than they are going for on ebay.

7/24/11 - Rumor is that there are 15 custom order slots left for the US
Sept 2011 - All custom slots gone
Sept 2011 - No more Thunder Gray

Last edited:
Yes, if I didn't call it out as a "v2.0" or a 2.5 "non-Sport", then it's a 2.5 Sport. I'll update the post to be clearer. Most are 2.5 Sport.

Note that since you can't order a non-Sport in the US anymore, this list may mean there are only four new non-Sport Roadsters to choose from.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that any of the U.S. roadsters can be shipped to Canada, but I'm fairly certain that the one in Toronto couldn't be un-exported back into the U.S.

As for colors, Racing Green and Brilliant Yellow are completely gone in the spec cars. There is at least one of each of the remaining dozen colors.

I'm guessing that any of the U.S. roadsters can be shipped to Canada

In most cases you can import used cars either way across the Canada/USA border (Lotus is an exception; they're not fully certified for Canada and they use some sort of special exemption to import it). You can buy a car in the states and import it yourself (or vice versa), but the car companies don't like that and they might give you trouble over the warranty.

For new cars it's not just a matter of paperwork, although that is probably part of the problem. There are difference between American and Canadian vehicles; for example, all new cars in Canada must have an immobilizer and daytime running lights.

The first Toronto demo car had California plates. They eventually sold it to an American customer...

Ok, maybe it just sounded easy since the Canadian Roadsters are "manufactured" in California, while the rest of the world seems to get their Tesla's from the UK. I know that Tesla will add some options to a spec car if the buyer wants to pay for them, but I suppose those daytime running lights might not be one of the things they can add after the car has been built.

Rather than continue guessing, I'll just ask: Has anyone in Canada inquired about the availability of Roadsters? Is there still demand there? Do those of you in the great white north have access to the 100 new custom order slots?

I know they've had recent sales, but I don't know any details. On the Tesla Motors web site if you click the "Buy" button and select Canada, it still lets you go through the design studio. At the end it tells you to call to ask about availability.

There are about 50 Roadsters in Canada.

The TeslaMotors.com website has an "Inventory" section which brings up a list of pre-configured Roadsters available for immediate purchase.
I'll dispute your use of "immediate." I ordered mine, an existing 2.5 non-sport, and I have to wait TEN DAYS. That's not immediate. I want it NOW!!! :crying:

I'm going to go completely insane waiting...

Oh, I see: You said "immediate purchase," not immediate delivery. Sorry. I want them to air freight it to me. It's cruel and unusual punishment to let you drive this thing and then make you wait TEN DAYS to get it.

I'll dispute your use of "immediate." I ordered mine, an existing 2.5 non-sport, and I have to wait TEN DAYS. That's not immediate. I want it NOW!!! :crying:

I'm going to go completely insane waiting...

Oh, I see: You said "immediate purchase," not immediate delivery. Sorry. I want them to air freight it to me. It's cruel and unusual punishment to let you drive this thing and then make you wait TEN DAYS to get it.

Your sentences are awakening the Hulk in me. :cursing:
Ordered mine on 14.02.2011 and it's still not here.

The TeslaMotors.com website shows only "Toronto" as a location when Canada is selected.

Tesla doesn't have a store in Canada, actually, it just has an office and a not-yet-formally-announced service center in Toronto. Currently they handle all of Canada.

I think that some vehicle service is provided out of US locations, if they are closer to the customer. (Can anyone confirm?)

Your sentences are awakening the Hulk in me. :cursing:
Ordered mine on 14.02.2011 and it's still not here.
I presume you custom ordered? I ordered an existing car. But it's in Chicago. Supposedly it will go onto the truck tomorrow, and soon after that they will try to get me an estimated arrival date. But between the botched Porsche conversion and the Nissan Leaf order which was botched by Nissan, I've been waiting for two years. Finally decided to do it right and get the Roadster.

The two cars in Seattle are an orange sport demo with clearcoat carbon trim for $150k (after $5k demo discount) and a black sport without the trim for $145k.
That orange sport is the one I test-drove. The one I ordered is the same color but non sport, and no options except the color and the infotainment system. It was the least expensive one that showed up as available.

One small peeve: When you ask what a Roadster costs, they say $108,000. But in fact you cannot get one that cheap. There are no existing ones that cheap, and they're not taking custom orders for base models. So they ought to answer the question by saying $125,000 to $180,000. Because I think 125K is about the cheapest of the available ones left.

I still can't find their inventory list on their website (logged on and starting at the My Tesla page). What page do I navigate to?
On your "My Tesla" page, click on "View Inventory" from the menu of eight options. To be clear, I only remember seeing this item after I paid for my Roadster, so perhaps it is not visible to anyone but owners. It may not be sufficient to just have an account, although I really cannot test this.

Note that you're really better off talking to a salesman, because they have access to the complete inventory. I purchased a Roadster that never appeared on the web site, and I imagine there might be more examples of 'hidden' gems. Seriously, the salesmen at the Tesla Stores are great to work with!