Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Hand Drive VIN # vs Right Hand Drive VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to buy a roadster and since I'm in HK I was sent the most recent RHD stock list. What's odd is that the VIN numbers are all between 300 and 800. From what I've read they should have already sold more than 2000 roadsters worldwide. But how come the current stock list's VIN numbers are in such a low range?

The sales rep did explain that the LHD and RHD VINs overlap, meaning that some LHD and RHD roadsters share the same VIN :confused:. Is this true?

I'm looking to buy a roadster and since I'm in HK I was sent the most recent RHD stock list. What's odd is that the VIN numbers are all between 300 and 800. From what I've read they should have already sold more than 2000 roadsters worldwide. But how come the current stock list's VIN numbers are in such a low range?

The sales rep did explain that the LHD and RHD VINs overlap, meaning that some LHD and RHD roadsters share the same VIN :confused:. Is this true?

Mine is a couple of months old, custom built to spec, RHD delivered in HK and is #569. A LHD Italian one, built alongside mine but not yet delivered (long story) is #570.

So, I think it is US vs non-US, not LHD vs RHD.

US VINs are up to 1300+, so add that to the 700+ non-US, and you get totals. But, it is not quite that simple...

Mark, it's really nice to see you here as I was told there are only 25 roadsters in HK :smile:

There were <12 here when I joined the club. More and more every day. It will be really nice to get to the stage in Hong Kong where we stop pointing out other EVs on the road.

Let us know if, and what, you order.

P.S. We've got a local Tesla Club event this week. If you're interested, ask Jessie about it.

There were <12 here when I joined the club. More and more every day. It will be really nice to get to the stage in Hong Kong where we stop pointing out other EVs on the road.
Good luck. Some vehicles attract strong loyalty and community. Even after owning my Honda CRX Si for over 21 years, fellow CRX drivers still wave, and one even followed me off the freeway recently to meet and chat about the cars. I have a feeling that the Tesla Roadster Club will involve a lot of pointing for decades to come.

Is there anything in the VIN to indicate RHD versus LHD?

There is a 'brother' to my RHD Hong Kong roadster, an Italian LHD known as 'Lightning Green'. I've asked him for his VIN (he hasn't taken delivery yet, so not sure if he has it).

Mine is SFZRE8B15B3000569. That is a base roadster, RHD, delivered to Hong Kong and built completely in UK.

Let us know if, and what, you order.

P.S. We've got a local Tesla Club event this week. If you're interested, ask Jessie about it.

I'm ordering a roadster 2.5 with the adjustable suspension and a few other minor accessories.

And I've received a newsletter today about the rally event you mentioned. It's a really short notice and I'm afriad my car won't be delivered that fast.

I'm ordering a roadster 2.5 with the adjustable suspension and a few other minor accessories.

And I've received a newsletter today about the rally event you mentioned. It's a really short notice and I'm afriad my car won't be delivered that fast.

Congratulations!

The rally has a few stops for meals, and a club discussion at night. If you are free it would be good to meet, and it is a good opportunity to see a wide selection of roadsters and their owners in one place.

Mine is SFZRE8B15B3000569. That is a base roadster, RHD, delivered to Hong Kong and built completely in UK.

SFZRE8B15B3000569
SFZ - Tesla manufacturer string for Hethel, UK built cars
SFZRE - Roadster Convertible=RE
SFZRE8 - region code, 8=Hong Kong (1=USA, 2 or 3=Europe, 6=Canada)
SFZRE8B - restraint system type B (not sure what B signifies as I am used to seeing a "1" here. Could this be used to indicated RHD?)
SFZRE8B1 - Motor type 1 (I am not sure what type of motor "1" signifies. Did they use this code to indicate RHD vs LHD?)
SFZRE8B1? - Check digit
SFZRE8B1?B - B=2011 model
SFZRE8B1?B3 - Factory - 3=Hethel, UK
SFZRE8B15B3000569 - UK produced car #569.

So if you are comparing cars you might want to try to understand differences in digits 7 & 8 ("B1" on yours.)

Here is mine: SFZRE2B15B3000570
...no indication of right hand or left hand drive.

Resurrecting a really old thread. New info suggests that the 6th digit (being a 2) indicated LHD. It would apparently have been a 3 if it was RHD.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83234&d=1433504875.png