Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra High-Fidelity Sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the invite (P #32XX) and figuring out whether I want the upgraded stereo option. Sirius XM isn't a huge deal, but I'm not sure what difference the sound quality makes with amp, subwoofer and 16 speakers. From what I understand on the S, it is a difference between 12 and 7 speakers (plus a sub). Thoughts?

Also, I have Sirius XM subscription from my wife's car that I can access from my iPhone. Can I just run it out the phone and not worry about getting Sirius for this car?

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 8.02.39 AM.png

With slacker and tunein radio, who needs XM? Yes, you could run XM from your phone, but you would not have XM controls on your 17" screen, so it would be cumbersome and dangerous... not to mention using a ton of data on your phone.

Please note it is not just speakers and sub, but also stronger amp.

It will be interesting to get audio reports for X. For S, the Sound Studio (or Ultra High Fidelity) package is significantly better than the base, but people have been able to tweak the base config with a few thousand $ to get far better sound than the HiFi option. So, people have questioned the value for $2500. If you are not a DIY, car mods type of person, but will listen to good sources (e.g., FLAC) and enjoy best sound, buy the HiFi system. If you want the very best and don't mind modding the car, save the difference and use it for aftermarket mods. If you listen on low volume to bad sources and don't really care too much about fidelity, don't waste your money. In any event, don't waste money on XM subscription until you've demonstrated to yourself that Slacker and TuneIn stations are not sufficient.

The only info I have is listening to the Ultra high fidelity in the Model X at the reveal. I listened to both systems in the Model S when it first came out and was disappointed in both so did an upgrade to mine. I'm not sure what kind of usb and the audio compression was but was very impressed with the sound. I will definitely get the upgrade when I order.

The only info I have is listening to the Ultra high fidelity in the Model X at the reveal. I listened to both systems in the Model S when it first came out and was disappointed in both so did an upgrade to mine. I'm not sure what kind of usb and the audio compression was but was very impressed with the sound. I will definitely get the upgrade when I order.

Sounds like you think the Model X UHF system is significantly better than the Model S UHF. Do you think it is probable that Elon's Model X on stage was hand built so that his audio system performed better than what will come in a factory built Model X equipped with UHF system?

Sounds like you think the Model X UHF system is significantly better than the Model S UHF. Do you think it is probable that Elon's Model X on stage was hand built so that his audio system performed better than what will come in a factory built Model X equipped with UHF system?
The unit I listen to was the blue Model X that they were using for test rides the night of the reveal. When I go to a show room when they have one to look at and drive I will take my flash drive and plug it in to listen and make sure it was not my imagination.

The Ultra High Fidelity Sound is well worth it the money. People either like the MS or hate it. I don't understand how anyone could hate it, as I am a bit of an audiophile myself, and for the $2500, it is money well spent.

Another factor to consider is that we have no idea with the base sound system in the X will sound like. All the founder and signature cars come with premium standard. The sub will certainly be an improvement, but 16 speakers isn't necessarily better than 8 (or whatever the base number is).

With slacker and tunein radio, who needs XM? Yes, you could run XM from your phone, but you would not have XM controls on your 17" screen, so it would be cumbersome and dangerous... not to mention using a ton of data on your phone.

Sports. I need XM for NFL and NASCAR on my Sunday drives. :) Sometimes I can find it on TuneIn, but contracts tend to prohibit that and most of the time the stations are blacked out (although occasionally you find one they missed!)

Sports. I need XM for NFL and NASCAR on my Sunday drives. :) Sometimes I can find it on TuneIn, but contracts tend to prohibit that and most of the time the stations are blacked out (although occasionally you find one they missed!)

you mean the Rams? Does your heart need the stress?

- - - Updated - - -

you mean the Rams? Does your heart need the stress?

Sorry forum acting goofy. Nobly posted once

Last edited: