Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom powder coating of brake calipers, good riddance to G2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About two years ago I had a local shop use red G2 epoxy to paint my brake calipers. While the wheels were off they also painted the brake hats in silver epoxy to prevent the dreaded rusting of the hats. They also applied caliper decals.

So much for the G2. Two years later it’s peeling off and looks terrible where the bare calipers are exposed. But the hats remain in great condition. One has to conclude that the G2 epoxy paint just can’t endure the conditions thrown at it on the calipers. IMHO it was a waste of money.

Next week I’m headed to Bonn, Germany for a week. So I’m taking advantage of the time away to have all six caiipers removed from my Model S and shipped to Armortech Powder Coating in Tampa, Florida to have them powder coated in red and decals applied.

If all goes well by the time I return from German the calipers will be reinstalled on my car.

Cost? $750 excluding the shipping. The alternatives were: 1) buying a new set of powder coated calipers from Tesla, but the price (over $4,000) was a major barrier, or 2) buying a used set (pretty impossible to find, and if found, two or three times the cost of Armortech’s work). ArmorTech does everything, including cleaning and sandblasting, powder coating, and creation and application of the decals on all 6 calipers (they’ll be a custom bright silver with high heat resistance).

I’ll post photos of the work when I return from Germany the week of 12/14. But I have every reason to believe that I’ll end up with powder coated calipers equal to or better than Tesla’s OEM.

About two years ago I had a local shop use red G2 epoxy to paint my brake calipers. While the wheels were off they also painted the brake hats in silver epoxy to prevent the dreaded rusting of the hats. They also applied caliper decals.

So much for the G2. Two years later it’s peeling off and looks terrible where the bare calipers are exposed. But the hats remain in great condition. One has to conclude that the G2 epoxy paint just can’t endure the conditions thrown at it on the calipers. IMHO it was a waste of money.

The prep work is 95% of how well these products hold up. If you pay someone to do it, unless you happen to get lucky or they've been vetted by past work, it's not going to turn out well.

The prep work is 95% of how well these products hold up. If you pay someone to do it, unless you happen to get lucky or they've been vetted by past work, it's not going to turn out well.

It was very throughly prepped. In fact the calipers were removed for the work. It's just a very overrated product -- the claims for durability are their own and there are no reliablity tests. My test says it has a two year life time before it starts to peel.

i actually have a set of four oem P85D calipers (red). around 3000 km of usage. coated with opticoat as part of my coating service.

If anyone's interested they can be yours for $3000 shipped. I'll include the 95% pads that its in it.

Another option that I saw someplace was red covers. I think I remember reading that they have the advantage of being a heat sink. OP - did you look into this? I'm considering this and would be interested in your thoughts since you've seemed to research this a lot more than me.

Another option that I saw someplace was red covers. I think I remember reading that they have the advantage of being a heat sink. OP - did you look into this? I'm considering this and would be interested in your thoughts since you've seemed to research this a lot more than me.

These are MGP caliper covers. Given the way they attach I can't imagine they function as heat sink. And they don't look anything like a real caliper. I had them on my Chevy Volt but there's no way they go on my Tesla.

That's what I asked up above but just got a curt answer with no explanation. I've used covers on other vehicles with absolutely no problem.

Phil, the head of Armortech, emailed me the photo below of my newly powder coated calipers. The calipers were delivered to Armortech Saturday morning and by Tuesday they had been prepped and powder coated. Today the decals and a clear coat finish will be applied. The calipers will be shipped back to me in time for them to be reinstalled on my car Monday am, the day after I return from Germany. That's the best customer service possible and my hat's off to Phil and Armortech!

IMG_2054.JPG

That's what I asked up above but just got a curt answer with no explanation. I've used covers on other vehicles with absolutely no problem.

You didn't get a curt answer with no explanation. Perhaps you didn't realize it, but you were given a link to a thread that discusses the issue in some depth, provided by one of the most respected posters on TMC. Clicking on the words "several reasons" in the original response (copied below for your convenience) takes you to the thread Jerry found for you.

There are several reasons not to go that way.

Well done!

There is another option, which is wrapping the brake calipers - I got mine wrapped in reflex wrap a year ago and it still holds up really nice (and looks nice IMHO) - even after a rough and really cold winter here in Denmark :). Description and pictures in my old thread:

Reflective wrap on my brake calipers (w/ pictures))

attachment.php?attachmentid=74623&stc=1&d=1426148762.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

@Artsci: Wow - that looks good....