Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control/sensor glitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I approach this intersection my cruise slows down. Once I pass it the cruise goes back to normal. Thinking it must have something to do with sensors or GPS since it always happens in the same place. This only happens going south on this road, it does not happen going north. I have not had this happen at any other intersection. My wife has had it happen to her in the same spot as well so it doesn't seem to be driver specific. It doesn't bother me, but it is weird. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed two things. First, it looks like the intersection is a T-junction and the car only slows when you get to a place where either you could turn right or another vehicle could turn right into your lane. Second, it slows to the speed limit...which is quite a coincidence. That certainly is strange. Does it only happen in your car or (if you have two Teslas, yours and your wife's) does it happen in both your cars?

I noticed two things. First, it looks like the intersection is a T-junction and the car only slows when you get to a place where either you could turn right or another vehicle could turn right into your lane. Second, it slows to the speed limit...which is quite a coincidence. That certainly is strange. Does it only happen in your car or (if you have two Teslas, yours and your wife's) does it happen in both your cars?
I go by probably 20 T-junctions on the way to work and this is the only one this happens at. The speed limit is always shown with the new update, but it is something weird that it goes to the speed limit. We only have one Tesla.

Appears MS is not seeing the lanes as well (grey lines disappear from dashboard) and car may be slowing down to posted speed limit.

Same as first person, I go by probably 20 T-junctions on my way to work. I did not have autopilot engaged so I don't see how the lines would make a difference. I go by intersections on roads that don't even have lines on cruise and nothing happens.

Those are both good suggestions but I don't think it is either of those. With my limited diagnostic skills it seems I can rule out autopilot since it is not being used. I can rule out sensor issues because it only happens at this intersection, and the sensors didn't flash anyway. The only thing I can think of is it is some sort of GPS point that causes an issue?

I have never had navigation active while passing this intersection. It is my daily commute so it is not really necessary. I'll try having it active next time I go through. Not sure if this will work but here is the GPS coordinates to the intersection. It is 47 and D. Google Maps

Every time I approach this intersection my cruise slows down. Once I pass it the cruise goes back to normal. Thinking it must have something to do with sensors or GPS since it always happens in the same place. This only happens going south on this road, it does not happen going north. I have not had this happen at any other intersection. My wife has had it happen to her in the same spot as well so it doesn't seem to be driver specific. It doesn't bother me, but it is weird. Anyone have any ideas?

I believe what you are seeing is curve speed adaptation. But this looks like a bug as there is no curve to slow down or 'adapt' the speed into.

I believe it is slowing down due to the fact that is loses the lanes. You can see this on the instrument cluster where the lanes disappear then the car slows. As Autopilot will slow for curves, it is most likely taking this into account.
Have you tried putting on Autopilot (autosteer)? At the start of the video you seem to have lanes so it should engage. Try engaging it at a slower speed so we can see how it transitions at a slower/safer speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe what you are seeing is curve speed adaptation. But this looks like a bug as there is no curve to slow down or 'adapt' the speed into.

I believe it is slowing down due to the fact that is loses the lanes. You can see this on the instrument cluster where the lanes disappear then the car slows. As Autopilot will slow for curves, it is most likely taking this into account.
Have you tried putting on Autopilot (autosteer)? At the start of the video you seem to have lanes so it should engage. Try engaging it at a slower speed so we can see how it transitions at a slower/safer speed.

I tried autopilot yesterday, did the same thing. There are sharper corners on this route that do not slow down like this. There are probably 20 intersections on this route also and it does not happen on any of them either. Your idea is the most logical so far, but I still don't understand why it would only be at this intersection, and not any of the thousands of others we have driven with this car since we got it.