Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery on 11/25, noticed on 11/27 that the passengers side seatbelt is defective as it randomly engages the tension lock mechanism to where you can't pull the belt out far enough to fasten it. Took it by the Dublin service center who confirmed the issue and ordered a new seatbelt for me and will call me to get it replaced once it comes in. So no issues there. My question is, has anyone else seen this type of an issue? Just seems odd to have such a random failure but maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Otherwise the car has been outstanding so yeah... :)

Jeff

Took delivery on 11/25, noticed on 11/27 that the passengers side seatbelt is defective as it randomly engages the tension lock mechanism to where you can't pull the belt out far enough to fasten it. Took it by the Dublin service center who confirmed the issue and ordered a new seatbelt for me and will call me to get it replaced once it comes in. So no issues there. My question is, has anyone else seen this type of an issue? Just seems odd to have such a random failure but maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Otherwise the car has been outstanding so yeah... :)

Jeff

Oddly enough, this happened to me yesterday, on my way back from Tahoe. The passenger seat belt locked up to the point that my wife couldn't extend it properly to latch.
She had to go to the back seat for about a half hour, until the mechanism unlocked itself somehow.
Lucky we weren't full and we had alternative seating, else we'd have been stuck. In a few weeks I have some family coming over to visit and we'll be occupying all seats, so this is worrisome.

Have this problem with my Model S every time I need to take my mother somewhere. She's a bit on the large side, so it may be related to that, but the tensioner will "lock" her in her seat several times during a given trip. It drives her mad (and thus, she drives me mad)

Vancouver service center clearly didn't believe anything was wrong. I'm less and less impressed with that place each time I visit. It's one thing for them not to find anything wrong with the tensioner, but quite another for them to dismiss your concern outright.