Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you fit a family of 4, their bikes, luggage and 100 pound dog in Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
This is something I do pretty often on a 200 mile trip with my Toyota Highlander by putting our dog in the back, all our luggage in a car box up top and bikes on our hitch. If I keep the dog to the back and do not put the luggage with the dog, I see 2 options:
1) take my Go trailer and put bikes, luggage, etc in that or
2) put bikes on trailer hitch, and luggage in combination of space in frunk, space between middle row seats when middle 2nd row seat is all the way pushed forward, and maybe a half size cargo box up top, or
3) ?
The disadvantages of option 1 is the range lost by pulling the trailer and inconvenience of backing up with the trailer, finding parking spaces, etc.
The disadvantages of option 2 are loss of access to one falcon door, range lost by drag created by box top, and luggage crowding kids in second row.
I see myself most often doing option 2 to not have to deal with the trailer, but still figure I will do option 1 occasionally especially when I bring kayaks, go camping, etc.
My questions are:
1) Can you think of other options for people, dogs, bikes, and luggage short of renting or owning another car for these trips?
2) How far do you think I could go in the 90D vs. 70D before needing to charge?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, maybe I should have put this thread in the main Model X section instead of the production section. If a moderator wants to move the thread to the main Model X section, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:
Dog in third row with a seat protector, luggage in the back and frunk, bikes on the trailer hitch.

This is a great suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of it. If the dog and luggage fits, then there would not be as large range hit for the weight of a trailer or drag of roof box.

You're over thinking this. Just do what you do with the Highlander except put the luggage in the frunk instead of the car box on the roof.

Yeah wish it was that simple and my family could pack light enough to fit everything in the frunk. Car box is pretty much the biggest you can get and is full in the holidays or when I add skis and snowshoes in the winter. But I guess the skis could at least take the place of bikes in winter.

Maybe go with the 6 seat configuration so the dog has room to sit in the second row between the seats with gear in the frunk, and trunk.

I do not think this would be safe. My dog is very big and actually still growing. He could easily nose into the front and hit a steering arm. Here is a pic of him to give you an idea:
theo-side.jpg

Plus we do a lot car pooling and would use all 7 seats sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I have to go with 90D to have a chance of making 200 miles without stopping for a charge given weight and cold climate. Do you think I could make at least 175 miles without stops in cold running heater, average 60 mph?

I guess I have to go with 90D to have a chance of making 200 miles without stopping for a charge given weight and cold climate. Do you think I could make at least 175 miles without stops in cold running heater, average 60 mph?

Easily. Make use of the winter package, though. Also, you should use the seat heaters more than the fan system. I would try to connect with Model S owners in your area if you are unfamiliar with winter driving in a Model S. Winter in Vermont... must be nice, all those above-freezing days. Winter? Don't talk to me about winter. Where I live, winter is defined as any month with the letter "r" in the name.

Pooch! ;-)

Yeah, hadn't thought about him sticking his nose up front like that. Good point.

The rear 2 seats do a 50/50 fold so if he fit in on one side you could still use some of the other side for gear. He looks like he might be a bit big for that. You could put something on the floor between the seat he's in and the 2nd row so he's got more space to lie down on.

Otherwise it sounds like the X might be a tight squeeze for your family.