Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What purpose does the cavity behind the front "T" serve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be more worried about the gap below the hood, where the T is mounted in the winter.

A friend was on the release event and it is a 10cm gap.
This will be filled with snow and salt in the winter time.

The T is "floting" in the air and easely broken of as a suvenier.

I assume you mean 10mm gap? 10cm is huge. That can't be correct.
I agree that 10mm (1 cm) seems large. Can anyone else confirm that? Doesn't sound right to me.

If he's referring to the part that appears black around the "T", that would be about 10 cm. I thought it was plastic like the nosecone of the Model S. If it's open, that's another matter entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be more worried about the gap below the hood, where the T is mounted in the winter.
So how is the t mounted in the summer? [sorry]

Falcon-wing doors in snow

I looked through those photos. The first photo appears to show the front Tesla "T" sticks out slightly. I don't see how that is going to cause a problem. There is a close up photo of the "T" that is blurred and it is not clear what supports the "T". But I doubt that is empty space. Suspect it is gloss black plastic.

Falcon-wing doors in snow

My Friend put his hand and arm inside to find the bottom, did not reach down to the bottom. (Got fisted hand inside)
He do not have tiny hands so it is 10cm gap.

He also tried to take a picture inside but to dark and did not get a focus

I guess it is a air intake, some internal spoiler to get more pressure on the front wheels or just air passthrough to get the the 0.24 number.
Parts of Norway have snow one day and rain the next.
Regular my car is packed with heavy snow in the frontal area.

I don't think it's an air intake, but rather that it has to do with aerodynamics, perhaps directing frontal airflow better than a rounded front. Or as sigurdi suggests a type of front spoiler function to increase traction on the front wheels during higher speeds.

I don't think it's an air intake, but rather that it has to do with aerodynamics, perhaps directing frontal airflow better than a rounded front. Or as sigurdi suggests a type of front spoiler function to increase traction on the front wheels during higher speeds.
This is proving to be quite an interesting discussion about an intriguing feature of the X. Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to seeing one in my local Tesla showroom, sticking my arm in that cavity, and asking the staff "What is this hole for?" [emoji3]
It surely has a specific purpose.

This is proving to be quite an interesting discussion about an intriguing feature of the X. Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to seeing one in my local Tesla showroom, sticking my arm in that cavity, and asking the staff "What is this hole for?" [emoji3]
It surely has a specific purpose.
I would kindly ask the mod to carve off this discussion into its own thread as I agree it is a good topic.

It is probably best to investigate personally, but it surely would be most impressive if the "T" glowed and lit up the cavity and made it look like it was floating. And maybe is able to change its color due to preference or even amount of torque being applied (would be cool to see it go intense red with full power)

For the functionality, with such a low Cd, I can't imagine it would increase drag, but decrease drag and does serve a functional purpose. Should be fairly easy to look and see if the cavity is connected to anything.

I would kindly ask the mod to carve off this discussion into its own thread as I agree it is a good topic.

It is probably best to investigate personally, but it surely would be most impressive if the "T" glowed and lit up the cavity and made it look like it was floating. And maybe is able to change its color due to preference or even amount of torque being applied (would be cool to see it go intense red with full power)

For the functionality, with such a low Cd, I can't imagine it would increase drag, but decrease drag and does serve a functional purpose. Should be fairly easy to look and see if the cavity is connected to anything.

Moved to a new thread.

This is indeed interesting. If it's for air flow, I wonder if there's an active shutter there as well? Though, it doesn't seem so from most photos.

So, I'm guessing I'm that friend of yours Sigurd? :wink:

Anyways, I showed all the pictures I took at the launch event at my place and we (Sigurd and I) got into a discussion about what the point of this big gap is. I've attached the picture for your pleasure...

PS! Sorry for the blurry pic, I was trying to blog and take pictures at the same time. (Btw, see my personal review on the Model X here if you're curious.)

Attachments

• IMG_20150930_070633.jpg
    IMG_20150930_070633.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 154