Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: Roadster 1.5 Silver Forged Wheel - rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a Roadster 1.5 Rear Silver Forged Wheel lying around? I hit a pothole and slightly bent my rear right wheel. The shop spent quite a bit of time balancing it to compensate, but it still makes a bit of noise at highway speeds. I'd buy both rears, or the whole set, if you don't want to break it up. Thanks!

Be careful, an out of balanced rear wheel that has vibrations will eat up the electric motor's bearings. Reason I say this, I know a friend who's Roadster had a slightly bent rim that they kept driving on. Eventually the motor bearing failed and needed to be replaced by Tesla. I feel the vibration just rattles and shakes things in a way they become off-balance, and with bearings, balance is key for them to wear evenly with the least amount of stress.

Personally I wouldn't be driving on it. If it was a front rim, I'd wouldn't be ask picky but its the rear that's close to all the drivetrain.

I also feel it might be difficult to find a used rear wheel in the forged type since each rim is specific to the side as well as their diameter difference.

I'd seriously price a single rim from Tesla. Note they're much cheaper when buying all four, so you could put a feeler out to see if other's need the other 3 wheels and work out a deal.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a Roadster 1.5 Rear Silver Forged Wheel lying around? I hit a pothole and slightly bent my rear right wheel. The shop spent quite a bit of time balancing it to compensate, but it still makes a bit of noise at highway speeds. I'd buy both rears, or the whole set, if you don't want to break it up. Thanks!

I had an unbalanced wheel and Tesla replaced it - about $200 for one. You might have to pay more for the forged wheel -

I also feel it might be difficult to find a used rear wheel in the forged type since each rim is specific to the side as well as their diameter difference. .

Is it true that all forged wheels are side-specific? I was under the impression that while the very early wheels were specific to the side, most swirl forward (clockwise) on one side and backwards (counterclockwise) on the other side so they appear to be the same. If your wheels are side-specific and you replace a rear with the wrong wheel, you many have the front wheel spokes swirl one way and the rear wheel swirl the other way.

Is it true that all forged wheels are side-specific? I was under the impression that while the very early wheels were specific to the side, most swirl forward (clockwise) on one side and backwards (counterclockwise) on the other side so they appear to be the same. If your wheels are side-specific and you replace a rear with the wrong wheel, you many have the front wheel spokes swirl one way and the rear wheel swirl the other way.
Yes, this is true.

Tesla wants right around $1000 for ONE, delivered to the service center sometime in the next 3 to 4 months. They did let me know a few shops around town can repair them. I found a shop that will repair it for a bit over $100 + tax, unless it's cracked. I will go this route and see how it goes. 1 day @ $100 is more attractive than 3 to 4 months @ $1K.