Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW Launches Online Ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
Looks like BMW is copying Tesla:
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/11/bmw-now-lets-you-order-your-new-car.html

Though I found this odd:
We are the first car manufacturer to offer a digital sales solution for the entire product range and the full end-to-end buying or leasing process online. Now, the customer can do it all from the comfort of their home.

I thought Tesla already did that. I wonder what they offer that's different to back up the claim of being "first"?

Last edited:
What have dealers have to do with that??

If Web Sales are made centrally, do the Dealers think they are missing out? (on opportunity to undercut another dealership nearby, or just perceived loss of sales ...)

I imagine that dealer-markup from central web sales will be distributed to dealer/dealers local to the buyer using an algorithm that the dealships have agreed to, or perhaps you will have to go to a dealership first and get your configuration number, which is then tied to that dealership for subsequent commission apportionment)

Easier to not have dealers who need placating in the first place ...

Having bought several BMWs, it should be noted that BMW (and other brands) have had a "design studio" long before Tesla came around with the Model S. For years you've been able to select and fully configure a new BMW on their website, very similar to how the Model S Design Studio works, right down to every possible package, option, and feature.

What this announcement says is that BMW is now adding the complete online follow-through to include purchasing, financing, and delivering the car without the need to go into a dealer, which is the part that Tesla has spearheaded (which really is not part of the "Design Studio" but rather the "My Tesla" page which handles all of that). The article mentions that BMW still needs buy-in from some dealers, because ultimately, BMW can't side-step the dealers (in the US) and sell cars direct-to-consumer, so the sale still has to go through a dealer.. but the dealer now doesn't have the chance to rip off... uh, I mean "upsell" consumers with extra "doc fees" or pinstriping or undercoating scams.

It's certainly a step in the right direction, but Tesla is not the first car maker to have a "design studio" to spec out a car configuration, which is just the first step in the process.

Having bought several BMWs, it should be noted that BMW (and other brands) have had a "design studio" long before Tesla came around with the Model S. For years you've been able to select and fully configure a new BMW on their website, very similar to how the Model S Design Studio works, right down to every possible package, option, and feature.

What this announcement says is that BMW is now adding the complete online follow-through to include purchasing, financing, and delivering the car without the need to go into a dealer, which is the part that Tesla has spearheaded (which really is not part of the "Design Studio" but rather the "My Tesla" page which handles all of that). The article mentions that BMW still needs buy-in from some dealers, because ultimately, BMW can't side-step the dealers (in the US) and sell cars direct-to-consumer, so the sale still has to go through a dealer.. but the dealer now doesn't have the chance to rip off... uh, I mean "upsell" consumers with extra "doc fees" or pinstriping or undercoating scams.

It's certainly a step in the right direction, but Tesla is not the first car maker to have a "design studio" to spec out a car configuration, which is just the first step in the process.

When I was looking at ICE cars before finding Tesla, they all have something akin to Design Studio, but the last step in the process is to contact the local dealer with the car speced out and you finish the deal there.

When I was looking at ICE cars before finding Tesla, they all have something akin to Design Studio, but the last step in the process is to contact the local dealer with the car speced out and you finish the deal there.

Yes, that's exactly what I posted. But to say "BMW Launches Their Own Design Studio" as the thread title is fairly misleading, since they've had a "Design Studio" for longer than Tesla has been selling Model S. The thread title should be "BMW Launches Their Own 'My BMW' page to allow completing the financing and sale online" which would be much more accurate, and reflects what the article posted in OP describes. Tesla's "Design Studio" is essentially identical to all other car makers websites.. it's not an idea Tesla had first. It's an idea Tesla had last.

Yes, that's exactly what I posted. But to say "BMW Launches Their Own Design Studio" as the thread title is fairly misleading, since they've had a "Design Studio" for longer than Tesla has been selling Model S. The thread title should be "BMW Launches Their Own 'My BMW' page to allow completing the financing and sale online" which would be much more accurate, and reflects what the article posted in OP describes. Tesla's "Design Studio" is essentially identical to all other car makers websites.. it's not an idea Tesla had first. It's an idea Tesla had last.

I changed the title.