Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Ludicrous or not to Ludicrous

Did you get/Are you getting the Ludicrous upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 41 66.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me. I went with the flagship mentality and have my fingers crossed that I will be able to enjoy it for at least a few months before they come up with something better.

Edit: sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the Model X...the thread showed up on "What's New" and I just assumed...

Last edited:
Where do you draw the line. Well, this will be my last and only upgrade for this car.However, I am considering replacing my 21inc wheels with light weight 20 inch staggered rims and sticky tires. This should help getting the claimed 0-60 of 2.8~ sec..

For an SUV, the P90D is already close to the fastest of SUVs in human scale applications (up to say 100 mph, certainly up to 80 mph, at which point I think sanity should take the helm) the 0.6 increase brings the vehicle towards very fast sports cars and close to the ludicrosity of the Model S.
I have road cars and have raced cars with performance envelopes that eclipse the Model S at its best in Ludi mode; these are fantastic cars, but the joy in those cars is not to be found in the linear acceleration charts from data acquisition.
Once I get through the Model S purchase process (something not to be applauded for its rate of acceleration! : ) I'll wait and see what emerges as the next Model S once the tire smoke settles. I imagine that car will be "worth" the upsell for a trip to the track, maybe shod in Hoosiers, and see what happens for a few laps of Laguna and Sears.

0-60 mph % increases for each X performance upgrade level

My X Config finalizes at Midnight tonight. After that, there is a $500 "change fee" imposed to make any configuration changes.

Instead of an extra ~$11K (including taxes) for "Ludicrous", following Elon's recent insider purchase of SCTY, I decided to buy it this week, and more TSLA on the next pullback. The staff at the Fremont factory store told me on Black Friday that "Ludicrous" doesn't increase the longevity of an S (they know nothing about X since they are avoiding the Osborne effect). I chose my colors and options with an eye towards longevity since my production serial # will probably be very low with P90D and Factory pick-up, since I was P83 and configured within 1/2 hour of my invitation.

The claimed 0-60 mph times are:

Variants 1.JPG

Percentage-wise, the 0-60 mph increases are:

140 mph 70D: 6.0
155 mph 90D: 4.8 +25.0%
155 mph P90D: 3.8 +26.3%; 3.8 seconds is same as 2015 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S ICE with 176 mph top speed. It gets 20 City - 29 Hwy gasoline EPA mpg. :eek:
155 mph P90DL: 3.2 +18.75%

The 90D and P90D upgrades each offer the most significant performance increase. I think that 3.8 seconds is already insanely fast! If I ever need an adrenaline shot of 3.2 or 2.8 seconds, I'll probably get that from an S or X loaner when I take my X in for service.

My main concern is what kind of range I'll experience driving around at 75+ mph when there's light traffic, or 85+ mph on the emptier stretch of I-5 between SF and LA? I plan to check the S forum to see what drivers have experienced.

Last edited:
It could be argued that I'm Insane, but I would counter that I won't be Ludicrous! Now I'll have that in writing, on a contract.

but seriously ... once the configurator cash price hit 120k+, it (ludicrous) kind of rules itself out. P is a stretch

Honestly, for the P85D I am getting the Ludicrous upgrade. It's $5000 for a % bump in performance that is a "steal" comparatively with the ICE tuner market. People will spend low-mid five figures to tune and squeeze out 0.3 seconds of increased performance. So I vote YES.