Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sight Unseen Used 85D Step by Step

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kandiru

Oct 20, 2014
USA
Listings
Finally, after two years of talking and test drives my dream becomes reality.
I want to share my experience step by step, hoping to help others.

1. Like car, negotiate price.

2. Start applying for credit, never too early for this, make sure they can send
check directly to you or to escrow.com. I chose DFCU only to learn they can only send
check to seller, so I had to drop escrow.com. Got 1.9% with green car discount,
but the real cool deal about them is that they do almost everything online, and
everyone picks up the ball, meaning I talked to 6 people and each one knew exactly
what was done earlier, great electronic records. They sent me a payment
book with neat address stickies:)

3. Alliance Inspection Management (ebay and escrow.com recommend) $249
150 point, photos, test drive, and narrative report. They have CarCheck which
is pretty much Carfax, so you save the extra $39.

4. Optional: both you and seller get accounts on Escrow.com (ebay recommended), $600
or so. They get the money and wait until you sign for the car off the truck before paying off
the lien holder or seller. They have an $60 Lien Holder Payoff service, another safety
measure.

5. Bank sends check to escrow.com or seller.

6. Seller gets title and signs it over to you, overnights it
to you or escrow.com. Before he does this make sure to contact your jurisdiction's
Title Office and get all the details, notarized vs not, separate odometer
statement, etc.

7. Arrange enclosed top loader transport with Dependable Auto Shippers
$2000, Bernie is a cool cat but don't push his buttons too hard,
contents under pressure. Car came in 6 car transporter, and was driven
off the truck, was tied by the tires only and traveled horizontally.

8. Get temporary (if keeping old car's plates until sold) or permanent
registration.

9. Immediately after above email [email protected]
with your name, address, My Tesla account email (establish one online),
color photo of your driver's license, and temporary registration. Account
becomes active in 48-72 hours.

10. Enjoy tracking car from your cell phone as it travels 2500 miles.

So far I drove the car for two hours and all I can say is I am in love.

I cannot say enough good words of praise for kinsman175, he delivered on all fronts.

Meet Ted, formerly Kermit:
Ted.jpg

The old alu. Escient server front plate served well for heat
dissipation from the dedicated second UMC, notice the box I built to protect
the garage door sensors from the cabling:
Charging.jpg

Let the fun begin!

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks for the details.

Nice work with the UMC setup, too. I had HPWC's installed because I was concerned about the plug wiggling around but you seem to have addressed that.

Congrats and enjoy the car. They are amazing!

Finally, after two years of talking and test drives my dream becomes reality.
I want to share my experience step by step, hoping to help others.

1. Like car, negotiate price.

I wish this was true for a CPO car thru Tesla Motors. They don't seem to negotiate at all...

3. Alliance Inspection Management (ebay and escrow.com recommend) $249
150 point, photos, test drive, and narrative report. They have CarCheck which
is pretty much Carfax, so you save the extra $39.
Thanks for this info. Good to know there's a way to inspect without having to be there yourself. Do they have a lot of experience with Teslas?

So far I drove the car for two hours and all I can say is I am in love.

I cannot say enough good words of praise for kinsman175, he delivered on all fronts.

Meet Ted, formerly Kermit:
View attachment 102422
Beautiful! Enjoy the ride...

Agree with everything that MsElectric has to say. I purchased mine after it was off Panjo. I probably had more trust than I should have with the seller but it worked out very well. Now all I have to do is figure out how to add the MS to my Roadster signature on TMC.

Agree with everything that MsElectric has to say. I purchased mine after it was off Panjo. I probably had more trust than I should have with the seller but it worked out very well. Now all I have to do is figure out how to add the MS to my Roadster signature on TMC.
Top page- click on SETTINGS- Left side click EDIT SIGNATURE

Good looking car, but aren't they all :)

Tesla may not negotiate but time does. If you think the price is too high, wait and it will be lower :)

Beautiful car, OP! White or silver with the pano roof is such a great combination.

7 year drivetrain/batt. warranty versus 4 years CPO and dual motor AWD was also a huge factor in my decision.

FYI tall people, the pano roof really helps, 6'4" and my calvarium rests inside a box behind the front beam, in the non-pano testers
I had to tilt the seat back hoping not to become a hunchback in the process.

Thank you for the kind words.

Last edited:
Rial Lugano OE center cap with Michelin X-Ice, generic 64mm black caps en route from HK:

Wheels.jpg

I also installed the Altec Autocross white lens plate holder in back, and The Law in the front with a black
matching light frame (didn't think it would hold the Altec Ital). CarBeyond door and liftgate clear edge guards,
if it starts looking weird will switch to white, this product rocks, beats the very thin Lamin-X I have been using for years.
Installed Weathertech headlight and puddlelight protectors, installation was a breeze but needed the
heat gun as it was only 50 outside, that really made it bend and stick.

I am thinking about a second charger as on one of my longer trips through the backwoods of Appalachia I will only be
able to use a HPWC at a resort, better second charger than driving wife's Odyssey.

Accessories so far:

1. Rial Lugano OE cap 19" with Michelin X-Ice low rolling resistance tires. Got Rial N23 hubcaps,
sanded 100,400,1000 then painted in titanium.

2. Door edge trim.

3. Abstract Ocean silicone key fobs, HD Clear screen protector, and parcel shelf auto-lift kit.

4. Tsye 18x13x12" Frunk organizer.

5. Weathertech frunk, trunk, and sub-trunk spill proof liners.

6. Weathertech headlight and puddlelight protectors (think thickest Lamin-X, applies same way).

7. Bell deer whistles.

8. CarBeyond silicone door edge trim, also over liftgate edge.

9. The Law front license plate.

10. Tesla & More E-Captain cubby delete center large volume storage console (flush with factory
console walls)

11. Adapters for every dryer, welding, AC, and RV connectors along with 30' NEMA 14-50 extension
cord and a large SockitBox weatherproof connection box which doubles up as storage for connectors.
CHAdeMO from Tesla. Thick rubberized utility gloves in.

12. Deflect-o easy warning reflective triangles, set of 3. Reflective vest.

Got dual charger, alignment check and one year service at Morse Road CMH. It went well, staff were extremely courteous, several items I needed help with were marked "courtesy item", charged me less than I expected based on posts by others.

Driving the 2013 I realized how far the Model S has come. The pixelated display, imprecise throttle response leading to paranoia in tight parking spots, slower acceleration, and tailwagging on ice made of realize how good I have it.

Last edited:
7 year drivetrain/batt. warranty versus 4 years CPO and dual motor AWD was also a huge factor in my decision.

CPO doesn't change the drivetrain/battery warranty, that follows the car. So if you bought the same car from Tesla as a CPO you would still have 7 years of drivetrain/battery warranty, but you would have gotten a full 4-years/50k of CPO warranty starting on the day you bought it. (So 1 year/6.5k more warranty.)