Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most Tesla customers in California losing 2500$ rebate soon. Order now to keep it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
tl;dr Order now to save 3500$ on a Tesla (unless you make less than 250k$: in that case, you'll be fine).

(Posting here since I came to this section first before, during and after ordering. And since so many buyers are from CA, hopefully, they get to see this in time. Before you tell me this title is over the top: my sales person at my local store told me this week that 90% of her customer base in the area is affected by this change.)

PSA: On January 1st 2016, new rules will apply to the rebate process that the California Air Resources Board has in place. This has been discussed before.
Details here (see pages 26-30): http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/fundplan/proposed_fy15-16_funding_plan.pdf

Looking at current delivery estimates ("late December"), you have a small window of opportunity to come in under the wire and take delivery in time to get the current 2500$ rebate from CARB (they send you a check actually). At the same time, you can also leverage the 1000$ referral rebate by using a current owner's link (pm for mine). In other words, order now and secure 3500$ in rebates.

"Does this really affect me?" Excellent question! Glad you asked. It likely does. I dug through the document to try and make this simple. But you can only simplify so much... The new program will have tiers, based on household income and the 2015 Federal Poverty Level (FPL).

Income level = rebate
Less than $35,310 = $4000
$35,311 - $250,000 = $2500
More than $250,000$ = 0$

The max income cap here changes based on filing status:
Individual: $250k
Head of household: $340k
Filing jointly: $500k

The lower tier limit also changes, but based on the household size. I ignored the other aspects of the program beyond pure BEVs. Fuel-cell is getting plenty of love...

If you fall in the affected categories (there are no tiers in 2015, everyone gets 2500$), order now! Again, you'll need to have taken delivery and have your final paperwork signed before January 1st 2016.
Hope this help!

I do not make 250k, if I did I wouldn't mind losing out on the 2500
At least not enough to not purchase the car.

I do like the extra bump for the lower income tier, hopefully the Model 3 arrives on time (lol I know it's tesla) but that would help sell it even further.

I do not make 250k, if I did I wouldn't mind losing out on the 2500
At least not enough to not purchase the car.

I do like the extra bump for the lower income tier, hopefully the Model 3 arrives on time (lol I know it's tesla) but that would help sell it even further.
Am with you on all accounts. If a family pulls in half a million, they should be fine without the 2500$. But then again, money is money...
As for the Model 3, am not sure I would go for a $35k car if I made less than that yearly as a single person household. That $4k rebate would help though. Another example: a family of four can pull-in $72,750 and still get the $4k.
That family better not live in the Bay Area though! Cost of living is a bit on the insane end of the scale.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if said lower income family puts in a lot of miles, cheap "fuel" can make quite the difference IMHO.