Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best EV Charging Sign Ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
First, I know there are a few threads out there on charging etiquette and ICE'ing. I thought I would share this here. Mods: feel free to merge with another thread if you feel necessary.

I ran into this sign a long time ago in a City of Beverly Hills parking lot, but never got around to posting. This same sign is posted at every city owned lot charge location. This is some of the best language I have seen to date. Really makes you think. In fact, I saw a hybrid pull into a spot there once (not the plug-in type). I drove by in my MS and gave the guy a questionable look. We made eye contact, and without saying a word, he got back into his car and moved it. Awesome.

My only question is the 3rd bullet point. There is typically only 1 access point for 2 spots. Therefore, technically someone will either take a chance and park without charging, or otherwise leave the spot empty. I think the city is lenient, but has the official language there in case needed. I also had to laugh at the 2nd bullet point. I bought a lock ring when I first got my MS, but definitely will not use it here!

Also, a little background: For those of you visiting BH, each and every lot in the city has 2 hours of free parking as long as you enter before 6pm. Every lot has at least two ChargePoint stations, usually right at the entrance. Even better, they are FREE to use. You still need to sign up with ChargePoint, but the total amount is $0, no matter how long you charge.

IMG_0138.jpg

Let's look at the issue as a whole. Strict parking/charging enforcement isn't really a solution. EV drivers want to park their car like everyone else. They don't want to run out of the restaurant to move their car. There are more EVs than charging spots? Build more! That's the only good solution. Worried about ICEing? Put the chargers in inconvenient parking spots. No one wants to park there, but any EV driver really needing to charge will happily use them. No one else is tempted to use it just to have a better parking spot.

The problem really are these two basic issues. Too little charging spots and putting them in convenient places. For the last two years driving 63k miles I have run into these two issues the most when trying to find a public charger.

Let's look at the issue as a whole. Strict parking/charging enforcement isn't really a solution. EV drivers want to park their car like everyone else. They don't want to run out of the restaurant to move their car. There are more EVs than charging spots? Build more! That's the only good solution. Worried about ICEing? Put the chargers in inconvenient parking spots. No one wants to park there, but any EV driver really needing to charge will happily use them. No one else is tempted to use it just to have a better parking spot.

The problem really are these two basic issues. Too little charging spots and putting them in convenient places. For the last two years driving 63k miles I have run into these two issues the most when trying to find a public charger.
I think that if you had a sign like this posted at EV charging spots you would find the majority of the public would not park there. There will always be idiots that would not pay attention and park anyway, but right now there is nothing posted other than this is for electric car charging. When you put in the towing and citations you will minimize the Gas cars that will park in an EV charging spot.

It is an excellent sign. If EV drivers just want to park and go, then they should park at a regular space. EV charging spaces should only be allowed for cars that need to charge. Period.

I would actually change the 1st bullet to read that vehicles must be moved maximum 15 minutes after they have completed charging. Giving people with EVs a full hr of prime parking is nice, but unnecessary.

Fast DC charging aside, I think the question of charging and parking will become moot in a few years when 200+ mile EVs become the norm and short range EVs ̶ like my LEAF ̶ are obsolete and no longer sold. Do you really need to charge your Tesla at L2 public charging stations, save for destination charging on long trips? If/when Supercharging stations and long range EVs become ubiquitous, most L2 public charging figures to become unnecessary IMO. I think of L2 public charging as a stopgap until long range EVs become the norm. Then charging will be done at home for local driving/commuting or at Supercharging or other Fast DC stations for longer distances.

My 2¢.

"Patrons cannot lock, or in any way convert, the charging cable for their exclusive use."

Seems that would be a problem for J1772 vehicles which lock the cable to the car during use. Much like the Model S locks the Tesla connector. But we can't lock the J1772 to our J1772-Tesla adapter so we wouldn't have any problem complying.

What a horrible sign, it's long winded and text heavy, nobody is going to read that, it's just asking to be ignored.

The best ones are simple, the standard black P in a red circle with a red line through it, and the text "except for electric vehicle while charging" It covers points 1, 3, and 4, and is easy to read and understand. The only possible signage improvement over that would be "violators will be towed" and follow through on it.

What a horrible sign, it's long winded and text heavy, nobody is going to read that, it's just asking to be ignored.

The best ones are simple, the standard black P in a red circle with a red line through it, and the text "except for electric vehicle while charging" It covers points 1, 3, and 4, and is easy to read and understand. The only possible signage improvement over that would be "violators will be towed" and follow through on it.

There's no way that's the best EV sign ever. Not the worst but they have about 600 words too many for anyone to read it.
Yes, long worded. Yet, this is not a sign that is easily ignored. It is massive: about 4' tall x almost 3' wide. Definitely cannot be used in most locations, especially outdoors. These signs are posted on walls inside garages, and are glaring. In fact, these signs look pretty scary in person. I was seriously afraid that someone would unplug me and leaving me vulnerable to a ticket.

If you are looking for efficiency in wording, then this is not the sign for you. If, OTOH, you are looking for the most effective sign around, I would have to say this is it. Being a city owned lot, and with the language on the books to support them, they have the legal right to cite someone for parking there. That is a rarity, at least here in California (go figure). I have yet to see an ICE park in any stall, with the exception of that one hybrid dude I mentioned above, and he knew it and moved his car. So, "ignored" is probably the last thing that happens in these spots.

@green1: Yes, I agree. While a simple sign like the one you propose may not cover all the points on these monstrosities, it would be efficient and awesome. It is something that I would love to see at every SC. Unfortunately, I have yet to see one like it anywhere.

Too many words.

For EV use only, one hour maximum. Violators will be cited and/or towed.
You are correct. If someone is limited to just one hour, it matters not whether they "lock" the cable for their own use or whether they are done charging. I argued this on other threads, particularly the San Juan Capistrano SC thread. I believe 1 hour is sufficient too. The clock doesn't really start ticking when you pull in, but when someone tags you.

What else is one to do while waiting on a charge?

Oh, slap.

I think it would be fun to put a flat bed truck in a parking lot, adjust the pavement shaping around it to disguise the truck itself, put EV labelling around the "parking spot", and immediately tow the car 20 seconds after a non-EV owner who parks there starts walking away. Do that a few times in large cities and the word will get around quickly.