Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla-box: Anyone else receiving these spams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They sell after market products. I am concerned that my email address can only be linked to my having a tesla by either tesla itself or TMC. Does anyone know which? Will need to do some detective work

There's a lot of Black Friday emails circulating now. I got a few from Tesla related aftermarket companies this morning. My guess is the same as yours.

I received one of those emails too. Actually, it wouldn't be hard for a marketing company to get a list of Tesla owners from the DMV and then find the email addresses. Tesla, TMC, or other vendors needn't be involved.

Doesn't this fall afoul of some form of legalities in the, almost too aptly named, "can-spam" act? is there a reporting mechanism there, would be great if this sort of behaviour was appropriately punished.

Unfortunately, the can-spam act mostly means "can spam". And looking up the IP address shows that it's rated "good" so it won't be caught by most public RBLs.

I know it's not from the TMC database as it came to a different email address. It came to the one I have on file with Tesla and I rarely give that one out other than for personal use. I hope that's just a coincidence, but I'm concerned as I rarely get spam at this email address.

What?!? I got a spam email???

THAT'S IT...

4CNjzIw.gif

I know that the email used is one that can be gleaned relatively easily from my profile. It is not, however, there directly; one or two steps need be performed. I am the last person to be knowledgeable in how crawler-bots function.

More to the email: has anyone looked at the currency shown in the photos? Are those Thai? Chinese/Taiwanese?

I checked both this site (TMC) and Tesla's privacy policy and they both say they do not share email addresses other than a few obvious exceptions (e.g. law enforcement). However I also received an email a little while ago from T-Sportline and it occurred to me that Evannex is a reseller of their products. Evannex's privacy statement is a little different and I'm wondering if this could be one source of email addresses. Here's the pertinent language on the Evannex site (note the last sentence):
"We may send personally identifiable information about you to other organizations when:

(i) We have your consent to share the information (you will be provided the opportunity to opt-out if you desire). For example, if you opt-in for emails we will share this information with our marketing provider."

Again to emphasize my email came to an account that is not the one I registered with TMC. It is however the email I have on file with Tesla. And I have never ordered anything from Evannex or T sportline.
I still believe the simplest answer is: get the names from the DMVs and then find the corresponding email addresses. It's usually not that hard. Especially when you are like me and have used the same email address for over twenty years.

Note that tesla-box wouldn't have had to do it themselves, there are many companies that provide mailing lists.