Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would recommend as a minimum:

Sydney to Newcastle (SC1): 2 h 7 min (161.5 km) via Pacific Motorway

Newcastle to Taree (SC2): 1 h 54 min (169.6 km) via Pacific Hwy/A1

Taree to Coffs Harbour (SC3):2 h 45 min (229.5 km) via Pacific Hwy/A1

Coffs Harbour to Byron Bay (SC4):2 h 50 min (238.2 km) via Pacific Hwy/A1

Byron Bay to the Gold Coast (SC5):1 h 12 min (87.8 km) via Pacific Motorway

Gold Coast to Brisbane (SC6):1 h 1 min (83.1 km) via Pacific Motorway

• Informative
Reactions: AUSinator

Yep, as a minimum! Because really you need them to be just under 200ks apart, so you can skip one if you have to / it's too crowded / it's non-functional.

You could easily drop the Gold Coast supercharger. It's only 160km from Byron to Brisbane. No need for a supercharger there.

I thought that there had been talk of the Newcastle SC being a bit further north. That would make even less case for Taree and a better case for a SC nearer to Port Macquarie?

You could easily drop the Gold Coast supercharger. It's only 160km from Byron to Brisbane. No need for a supercharger there.

Many people would stop to holiday on the Gold Coast tho without ever going to Brisbane, would still make sense to have one and get fully charged for the stay and just before heading off. Would also be good for people who travel south from the Sunshine Coast, they would not have to make a stop so early in Brisbane

Many people would stop to holiday on the Gold Coast tho without ever going to Brisbane, would still make sense to have one and get fully charged for the stay and just before heading off. Would also be good for people who travel south from the Sunshine Coast, they would not have to make a stop so early in Brisbane
Stopping for a holiday you only need the 10A charger. 8 hours overnight and you have put more than the 80km back either way to a supercharger. More likely that you'd have it on charge for 20hrs at least. If there were a destination charger on the Gold Coast that would be plenty. A supercharger isn't needed if you are there for a day or more. One day of charging at 10A is 240km range added.

My prediction, from map analysis:

Starting in Sydney:
164 km to Heatherbrae (Newcastle)
213 km to Thrumster (Port Macquarie)
158 km to Coffs Harbour
218 km to Knockrow (Ballina)
174 km to Brisbane

The unusual ones are just suburbs or localities which are closer to the highway than the better-recognised towns.

Knockrow - location of Macadamia Castle.

There are some unusual spaces in there over 200km - but this reflects the new map, which does show some gaps are bigger than others. Importantly, no two consecutive gaps are more than 400km. Technically they could only do Thrumster and Knockrow and achieve the SYD-BNE link!

Starting in Sydney:
158 km to Coffs Harbour
174 km to Brisbane

The unusual ones are just suburbs or localities which are closer to the highway than the better-recognised towns.

There are some unusual spaces in there over 200km - but this reflects the new map, which does show some gaps are bigger than others. Importantly, no two consecutive gaps are more than 400km. Technically they could only do Thrumster and Knockrow and achieve the SYD-BNE link!
According to Maca Castle, the highway is being re-routed so that they are no where near it. So I doubt we'll see a SC there.

Starting in Sydney:
158 km to Coffs Harbour
174 km to Brisbane

Don't forget about 60s, 70s and then Model X's towing heavy loads.

My guesses on these....

Newcastle: closer to Raymond Terrace to allow service to the New England highway also.
Port Macquarie: No idea
Coffs Harbour: Park Beach shopping centre carpark, The Highway service centre at the southern end of town maybe even the Big Banana?
Ballina: southern end of town where the new bypass splits away or possibly in near where the Big Prawn used to be.

Any Speculation on a Brisbane Service Centre / Showroom might be?

That's disappointing :( Is it a very big deviation?

Not a major one, this is the last bit linking the Ballina bypass with the already upgraded highway to the north. The more recent Ballina bypass already brings it close to the Castle so it will not be too far off the beaten path. My money is still on the southern side of Ballina, where there are existing amenities not far from the bypass.

I know I've mentioned it before but worthwhile repeating here, but also now having done my own scouting in the area in the last few days, The Farm at Byron Bay (actually Ewingsdale) is by far the best location in the Byron Bay area. Close to the freeway, a minute or 2 away, just far enough. It is an actual working farm but with a very high quality restaurant (One hat highly deserved). Not only that but amazing coffee, bakery, take-away, fresh produce deli, farm tours, playgrounds, picnics, hampers and of course farm animals of both edible & non-edible variety. A great new concept for Byron Bay, and for me, the perfect Supercharger location. As much as I like the Macadamia Castle, I've got to say The Farm is the place...not least of all...it's open for dinner on Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday's until late. It was quiet at 9am this morning but it gets BUSY.