Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 37 more miles worth $13,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you, I've been waiting years for the X. Now it is finally within my grasp. I received my email to configure the X. My quandary is to go for the 70 or 90. The money miser side is of me is saying it's not worth $13,000 to get an extra 37 miles of range. I realize that the air suspension is included in that price, but if I had a choice I'd pass on the air suspension... it would be rarely used! So if I go for the 70 I'd save a bunch of money and have to wait ANOTHER 6 months!!! Or do I bite the bullet and pay more so I can get it sooner with more range. What are people thoughts about the extra money for the extra range?

37 miles isn't insignificant, but the upcharge is a big pill to swallow.

My rule of thumb is multiplying my range on the dash by .75 to see what I can reliably get in all conditions.

220 miles would mean 165 "floor". Pretty low. 257 would be a more palatable 192

I've run my 85 down to 6% pulling in the driveway... So I'd like to stick with bigger.

Also the 90 is faster to 60.

But it you make a good point. I'd have to test drive both. I'm used to 0-60 in 5.5 in my S. I don't want to give that up...but 13k is a lot of Ks...

It really just depends on how much you value both the money and the features. For me, I'd choose the 90 for both the earlier timeframe (though this may be a curse, keep that in mind), and the fact that I envision a MX as a road tripper. The last thing you want to worry about when having a great time is range. That said, $13k can buy a lot of other pleasantries - so if that $13k would actually be used elsewhere, you should consider the alternatives. If you have a much bigger buffer, and the $13k is just a number.. well.. range.

I'd choose the 90. If the S90D were available, I would have paid for that from my current S85D. I've driven all over the West Coast and I regularly have 100-mile days for work. Range is king.

But if the $13k is a stretch, that's a different story. Does the $13k increase come with other features/benefits?

- K

That was my big dilemma! The practical choice seemed to be the 70, but I have been waiting so long!! I always planned the bigger battery but did get a little sticker shock. In the end I went for the 90 and justified it in feeling that I just couldn't wait any longer. The P90D just seemed like too much money for speed in an SUV, but I would have done it to decrease the wait if I could have afforded it!

I'm struggling with the same decision, the wait is not a problem for me but $13,000 for 37 miles is. I do find with my 60 superchargers everywhere in California 200 miles works fine, but it would be nice to have a little buffer and I even though I keep my cars for at least 10 years I still think about resale. Then again it comes down to $97,000 or $110,000 with the options I want, and if I'm going to spend that much not sure I should worry about the difference.

90D for sure, it average a few bucks per day, really not much, but when you really need a little longer range sometimes, even if only a few times a year. it's already worth that extra.

I also prefer air suspension too, not it's not only about range, but also more features and more real batteries.

Can't say about the money but I would also note that the 90D gives you the extra range _plus_ faster Supercharging (although due to lower efficiency gives you slower AC charging.)

This is what makes it a consideration of more than just "37 miles". If your plans include road trips/SuperCharger visits, the bigger battery gets you farther, faster cuz it will take more DC watts, while you're stopped, saving some time, every time. Not sure about the lower efficiency on AC (?) just more battery to fill so it takes longer?

$13k

- More range
- More powerrrrr
- Air suspension
- Fewer charging cycles => less battery degradation => better resale value (are there statistics to back that up?)

If chosing the 90 kWh means one of your kids can not go to college, go for the 70 kWh version. All other scenarios depend on your subjective valuation of the variables. Good luck!

Like many of you, I've been waiting years for the X. Now it is finally within my grasp. I received my email to configure the X. My quandary is to go for the 70 or 90. The money miser side is of me is saying it's not worth $13,000 to get an extra 37 miles of range. I realize that the air suspension is included in that price, but if I had a choice I'd pass on the air suspension... it would be rarely used! So if I go for the 70 I'd save a bunch of money and have to wait ANOTHER 6 months!!! Or do I bite the bullet and pay more so I can get it sooner with more range. What are people thoughts about the extra money for the extra range?

i'm of the opinion 37 miles more (on the X) doesn't really matter -- just based on averages and my own needs, though. depends on your circumstances, but i absolutely don't see those extra miles being worth $100 to me, let alone $13,000.

the extra wait, though -- well, that's just painful unless you need a car soon.

That 37 miles, for us, saves us an hour (each way) on a drive we make 3 times a year.

So your time (cumulative, since you wrote "us") is worth $2167/hr. Unless this is also useful at other times for you.

Working from home and planning to live next to my main destination (the beach), with just a few other regular destinations -- all within a handful of miles -- and the expectation that I'll take a handful of long trips where it might theoretically help but probably wouldn't change much in actuality, I can't see justifying $13,000 for perhaps a few hours saved over a few or even several years.

But that's the thing -- it comes down to personal needs, plans, how much $13,000 is worth to you (have enough money and it is like $10 to some of us), and how much your time is worth to you (assuming the extra time charging won't be usefully used doing something else... which I'd presume is highly unlikely, but in some instances may be the case for people considering the decision).

- - - Updated - - -

I would also consider the that A second hand 90 will be easier to sell.

I actually think this is debatable. If you look at the CPO site, there are a ton of higher-capacity Teslas, while there are only a handful of lower-capacity ones (9 out of 319 are 60s right now, and there are no 70s). People wanting a lower-capacity Tesla have a lot fewer options, and they move out of there quite fast except in a few cases, from what I've seen.

I actually think this is debatable. If you look at the CPO site, there are a ton of higher-capacity Teslas, while there are only a handful of lower-capacity ones (9 out of 319 are 60s right now, and there are no 70s). People wanting a lower-capacity Tesla have a lot fewer options, and they move out of there quite fast except in a few cases, from what I've seen.
Agree. If you want a Model X that's easy to sell a few months down the line, go for a bare 70D. Generally speaking, the cheaper the car is, the more people can afford it, and the easier it is to sell.

Of course, som options probably won't hurt. 7 seats would be my first priority. (Actually, in Norway, tow hitch would be my first priority.)